Rey Maualuga, Fullback Miami Dolphins

12 hours ago, Marlon23 said:

He did really well, and I think he looks pretty awesome this year.  He looks thick, and he is hitting hard. 

He's played the 130th most LB snaps in the league and only 30 LBs have missed more tackles than him.

He's pretty bad.

3 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

He's played the 130th most LB snaps in the league and only 30 LBs have missed more tackles than him.

He's pretty bad.

I think he was referring to his blocking skills as a fullback.

3 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Not defending Maualuga, but these stats don't mean anything.  A LB who got blocked every play and never even got near a ball carrier would have the fewest missed tackles in the league.

It would be more telling to see his missed tackles as a percentage of his tackles.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I think he was referring to his blocking skills as a fullback.

Ah I thought he was talking overall. My b

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Not defending Maualuga, but these stats don't mean anything.  A LB who got blocked every play and never even got near a ball carrier would have the fewest missed tackles in the league.

It would be more telling to see his missed tackles as a percentage of his tackles.

Yeah I'm not sure how many attempted tackles he has but I'm just saying at this point in his career, Maualuga ain't very good. He was never that elite LB that Marvin always tried to find, but he wasn't as bad as people made him out to be in a few of his years here. He was an OK LB, glad the team decided to part ways with him after he declined a bit though.

Maualuga probably holds the record for biggest fall in the eyes of Bengal fans.  I don't remember a single second round draft choice that was as celebrated by the fans as Maualuga.  His jersey had to be one of the top sellers on the team going into his rookie season.

He did not deserve all of that hype coming in, but he also did not deserve all the hate he got later in his career.  He was not as bad as a lot of people here tried to claim.

3 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Maualuga probably holds the record for biggest fall in the eyes of Bengal fans.  I don't remember a single second round draft choice that was as celebrated by the fans as Maualuga.  His jersey had to be one of the top sellers on the team going into his rookie season.

He did not deserve all of that hype coming in, but he also did not deserve all the hate he got later in his career.  He was not as bad as a lot of people here tried to claim.

Yeah Fred, he kinda was. I've never seen a LB that was built like Rey get washed out of so many running plays, suck that badly at coverage, go for the big hit instead of wrapping up and missing tackles, etc in a Bengals uniform. 

23 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Yeah Fred, he kinda was. I've never seen a LB that was built like Rey get washed out of so many running plays, suck that badly at coverage, go for the big hit instead of wrapping up and missing tackles, etc in a Bengals uniform. 

Well we will just have to disagree.

But I feel pretty confident with Mike Zimmer on my side of this argument. The Bengals would never have re-signed Maualuga twice if he was as bad as some people here claim. 

Rey was a lot like Peko.  Hated by Bengal fans but appreciated by NFL professionals.

2 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Well we will just have to disagree.

But I feel pretty confident with Mike Zimmer on my side of this argument. The Bengals would never have re-signed Maualuga twice if he was as bad as some people here claim. 

Rey was a lot like Peko.  Hated by Bengal fans but appreciated by NFL professionals.

He was a too inconsistent.  He would play 3 or 4 excellent games then play like total crap.  The playoff games with Houston X2 and San Diego simply running right thru us stand out. 

51 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

go for the big hit instead of wrapping up and missing tackles

He did that shit constantly at USC.  I don't even watch much NCAA but when he was drafted and everyone was geeked on what a big hitter he was, it was all over his tape.  Just about every player in the NFL is big, strong, and fast, or 2 out of 3 at least.  Point being it was obvious that he wasn't going to be able to shoulder-check an NFL running back for the big hit like he could some future HS coach from Oregon State.   

Something to consider since we're already into offseason talk:  just about everyone in the NFL draft was a big badass in college.  Very few become big badasses in the NFL.  Try and keep some perspective before claiming your favorite long-snapper from Southeastern Gump Tech is going to set the world on fire.  Or perhaps a WR that can sprint 40 yqards a fraction of a second faster than most people. 

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Something to consider since we're already into offseason talk:  just about everyone in the NFL draft was a big badass in college.  Very few become big badasses in the NFL.  Try and keep some perspective before claiming your favorite long-snapper from Southeastern Gump Tech is going to set the world on fire.  Or perhaps a WR that can sprint 40 yqards a fraction of a second faster than most people. 

Not sure what you mean by "perspective".  I can pretty much guarantee that there will be some guys in the '18 draft that become stars in the NFL, and I don't think any of them will be WRs who run 5 second forty yard dashes.

23 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Not sure what you mean by "perspective".  I can pretty much guarantee that there will be some guys in the '18 draft that become stars in the NFL, and I don't think any of them will be WRs who run 5 second forty yard dashes.

The reality is Rey was a passable 2nd round pick and average starter (which all teams need some of) which is WAY more than can be said about our recent early round tackles.  The problem is he was playing in a 4-3 where your MLB needs to be one of your best players.     He probably would have done fine in a 3-4 where his area of responsibility was much smaller. 

What I mean by perspective is that some guys in the '18 draft will become stars in the NFL, and most of them won't.  WR's that run 5s 40's typically don't get drafted into the NFL. Emphasis on "typically" so you don't feel compelled to go find some slow mf'er drafted back in 1982.  Shit you're already off to Google it aren't you  :doh:

Took some searching to find out what he was arrested for:

Slater reports that Maualuga refused to pay a $40 tab at a Miami nightclub at 8:30 a.m. (the club, called E11even, is open 24 hours a day). After being asked to pay the bill, he reportedly grabbed the victim by the throat.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/18/16673868/rey-maualuga-miami-dolphins-released-arrest

Did he think roster margin LB/FB scrubs drink for free in Miami?  Choking out a bartender over a $40 tab.. :bitch_please-min:

And the Dolphins immediately released him! Are they allowed to do that?! Aren't you supposed to redeem him, like for a large soda with any combo meal?

45 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Fred would think so because of his stats and MikeandKatie would want him back because they've got a shit load of unsold 58 Maualuga jerseys they could take off the sale rack and sell full price again.

Plus it sounds like there's some Redeemin' to be done.  Can't forget the Redeemin'.  Never forget the Redeemin'.

Archived