A.J. on Vontaze Burfict

A.J. Green defends Vontaze Burfict after LB's ejection

A week after getting ejected from a game, Cincinnati Bengals wideout A.J. Green has gone public in his support for linebacker Vontaze Burfict.

Burfict got tossed from the Bengals’ Week 10 loss to the Tennessee Titans after tallying two personal fouls. For Green, it was another example of the referees targeting Burfict.

“I think so,” Green said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “I think he’s getting targeted a lot. On some of those plays I don’t think anybody else would make it. They wouldn’t get that call. I think he just has a target on his back. That’s the way he is. He’s an emotional guy. That’s the guy we want. I wouldn’t trade him for anybody in the world.”

This sort of comment will split most into two camps — some will agree, others will disagree by pointing out Burfict shouldn’t be putting himself in these situations to begin with.

On the first personal foul, Burfict appeared to pull up and try to avoid hitting a Tennessee player out of bounds. On the second, he brushed aside a referee’s hand, which resulted in another flag and an automatic ejection.

At this point, Burfict has earned his reputation. And yes, referees are paying extra attention to No. 55 based on the reputation. As a professional, it’s on Burfict to know this and keep himself out of bad situations.

By now, most understand Burfict won’t ever go back to getting treated like any other player by officials. It’s on him to adapt.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

A.J. Green defends Vontaze Burfict after LB's ejection

By now, most understand Burfict won’t ever go back to getting treated like any other player by officials. It’s on him to adapt.

Adapt to what, getting ejected for petty bullshit? So many dirtier players in the NFL and I've never seen one targeted like Burfict.  If I were him I'd be looking for a trade to one of the chosen teams where I'd magically transform into a "hard-hitting defender doing things the right way" & get treated like the next Ray Lewis instead of being shit on worse than the entire cast of cokehead woman-beaters that the league routinely coddles.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Adapt to what, getting ejected for petty bullshit? So many dirtier players in the NFL and I've never seen one targeted like Burfict.  If I were him I'd be looking for a trade to one of the chosen teams where I'd magically transform into a "hard-hitting defender doing things the right way" & get treated like the next Ray Lewis instead of being shit on worse than the entire cast of cokehead woman-beaters that the league routinely coddles.

Burfict is a dumbass.  He was an idiot in college and he has been an idiot as a pro.  Stepping on people, hitting guys in the nuts, dirty hits etc..  Quit defending him, he made his own bed.

38 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Burfict is a dumbass.  He was an idiot in college and he has been an idiot as a pro.  Stepping on people, hitting guys in the nuts, dirty hits etc..  Quit defending him, he made his own bed.

So all the other dumbasses get a pass?  It's not really about Burfict, it's about scapegoating one particular player and letting the rest slide.  If rules aren't applied with some consistency they aren't really rules anymore.  

Plus, you can't tell me it's not fucking ridiculous how he's portrayed as public enemy #1 by the NFL & sports media while a serial rapist gets to be a star QB.  You can't ignore that shit and claim the moral high ground.

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So all the other dumbasses get a pass?  It's not really about Burfict, it's about scapegoating one particular player and letting the rest slide.  If rules aren't applied with some consistency they aren't really rules anymore.  

Plus, you can't tell me it's not fucking ridiculous how he's portrayed as public enemy #1 by the NFL & sports media while a serial rapist gets to be a star QB.  You can't ignore that shit and claim the moral high ground.

Nobody has done nearly as much stupid shit as Burfict save maybe James Harrison and that was 7 years ago. 

Serial rapist?  Who did he ever rape on the field?  He was never convicted of anything and he was suspended for 6 games regardless.  That was 7 years ago, not last weekend.   

Burfict is public enemy #1.  He intentionally does stupid shit to OTHER players way too often.  The other players couldn't car less about Pac-Man's off the field issue but they all hate Burfict for good reason. He is a punk ON THE FIELD.

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

Typical establishment point of view.

It is okay for people in power to discriminate against people once they have a past record.  Once a person commits a crime then the police should be able to arrest and harrass him for the rest of his life even when he is innocent.

Two wrongs make a right!  'Murica, Hell yeah!

25 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

It is okay for people in power to discriminate against people once they have a past record.  Once a person commits a crime then the police should be able to arrest and harrass him for the rest of his life even when he is innocent.

Lol

He's not being discriminated against. He does (on film, no less) 100% of the dumb shit he gets in trouble for, there's not much more to it.

I love Burfict but the dude can be wreckless (I don't mind that part as much) and he has a habit of doing unnecessary stuff after the whistle.

The media and dumb casual NFL fans absolutely have it out for Burfict, but the media and fans don't really matter much when it comes to that. The NFL has only punished Burfict for breaking the rules, seems kinda like it makes sense to me.

Burfict is a moron.  Stepping and standing on a guy, AGAIN, should be enough to get him tossed.  Tired of excuses. 

Yes, there are a couple other NFL players that have gotten away with similar stuff.  Mike Mitchell to be specific, but his stuff is mainly the bad hits.  I don't recall seeing him step and stand on guys regularly.  Nor do I recall seeing Mitchell twisting legs in a pile.  Do I think Mitchell should be disciplined more for what he has done?  Yes.  Does that mean I think Burfict should be disciplined less?  Nope. 

Time for him to take his suspension act somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

What in the hell are you talking about???  Nobody is discriminating against Burfict.  He childishly ran into a player way out of bounds pretending he couldn't stop or avoid him and then he pushed an official's arm away.  He is immature and has been since his high school days. 

You are aware that he didn't get drafted right?  All American as a sophomore, but didn't get drafted?    I think this kind of sums up Vontaze Burfict:  On October 6, 2010, Burfict was benched by Arizona State head coach Dennis Erickson. The reason given was Burfict's unusually high number of personal foul penalties.  In a game against Stanford, Burfict was called for grabbing the facemask of Doug Baldwin, and—after complaining to the referee—charged with a personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct that gave Stanford a first down at the ASU 7. Two plays later, Stanford scored what turned out to be the winning touchdown.

Sound familiar?  Lose a big game because Burfict is incapable of playing under control.  Stealers playoff game anyone?

So the reason he wasn't drafted is because all 32 owners were discriminating against him?    Everybody understands him except a few homer Bengals fans. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

What in the hell are you talking about???  Nobody is discriminating against Burfict.  He childishly ran into a player way out of bounds pretending he couldn't stop or avoid him and then he pushed an official's arm away.  He is immature and has been since his high school days. 

You are aware that he didn't get drafted right?  All American as a sophomore, but didn't get drafted?    I think this kind of sums up Vontaze Burfict:  On October 6, 2010, Burfict was benched by Arizona State head coach Dennis Erickson. The reason given was Burfict's unusually high number of personal foul penalties.  In a game against Stanford, Burfict was called for grabbing the facemask of Doug Baldwin, and—after complaining to the referee—charged with a personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct that gave Stanford a first down at the ASU 7. Two plays later, Stanford scored what turned out to be the winning touchdown.

Sound familiar?  Lose a big game because Burfict is incapable of playing under control?  Stealers playoff game anyone?

So the reason he wasn't drafted is because all 32 owners were discriminating against him?    Everybody understands him except a few homer Bengals fans. 

Pearls before swine SF2... Common sense doesn't apply to those who use rhetoric and feelings over actual actions and repercussions.

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/18/13351854/vontaze-burfict-history-cincinnati-bengals-asu-personal-fouls

Seriously,  just read and watch.  Some of you defend Burfict for his stupidity then cry about Mike Mitchell.  You can't have it both ways.  Both players are dumbasses but Mitchell is at least smart enough to only do dumb shit ONCE in a game, not twice. 

3 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

He's not being discriminated against. He does (on film, no less) 100% of the dumb shit he gets in trouble for, there's not much more to it.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

What in the hell are you talking about???  Nobody is discriminating against Burfict.

You guys are entitled to your opinions, but AJ Green and I think you are wrong.  Almost no one else gets flagged for that out of bounds contact.  I have seen players make contact out of bounds many times with no flag being thrown.

This is not me claiming that Burfict has not messed up in the past.  When he messes up he should be punished.  All I am saying is that this time he did not deserve the punishment he received.

27 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You can't have it both ways.

I am not asking to "have it both ways".  Both Mitchell and Burfict should be punished when they mess up, but neither of them should get flagged for something other players do all the time.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

You guys are entitled to your opinions, but AJ Green and I think you are wrong.  Almost no one else gets flagged for that out of bounds contact.  I have seen players make contact out of bounds many times with no flag being thrown.

This is not me claiming that Burfict has not messed up in the past.  When he messes up he should be punished.  All I am saying is that this time he did not deserve the punishment he received.

Eh, I've seen some no name, random LBs/DBs get flagged for questionable hits too. Doesn't always mean the refs are out to get the guy. Is this something constantly happening to Burfict?

IMO our safeties have been flagged on more bullshit calls in the past 10 years than Vontaze. Reggie crushes someone with his shoulder into the chest = flag.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Almost everyone gets flagged for hitting a guy 2 yards out of bounds. 

44 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Almost everyone gets flagged for hitting a guy 2 yards out of bounds. 

No they don't.  Incidental contact happens out of bounds all the time with no flags thrown.

Are you claiming that NFL players running full speed never bump into each other out of bounds or are you claiming a flag gets thrown everytime that happens?

The way I see that play he maybe should have been given a pass on the hit out of bounds, but he got away with stepping and standing on a guy's arm on the same damn play!  You can't make it up.  He is that stupid.  He keeps pushing the envelope over and over.  Then he goes and puts his hands on a ref.  He is an amazing dumbass.

21 hours ago, T-Dub said:

9 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Fred and T-Dub agreeing on something? What's next, cats and dogs living together?

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

No they don't.  Incidental contact happens out of bounds all the time with no flags thrown.

Are you claiming that NFL players running full speed never bump into each other out of bounds or are you claiming a flag gets thrown everytime that happens?

No I am saying that players that intentionally bump a player a few yards out of bounds like Burfict did, do.   Oh, and he did stand on the guys arm,..accidentally of course.  That is just good Stealer football!!  Guy leads with his helmet on almost every tackle to boot.   He has a long, well documented, well videoed history of trying to hurt other players and doing stupid shit.   AJ Green standing up for him doesn't erase any of that.  He has a well earned target on his back and yet he still can't help himself. 

Archived