Marvin Lewis: Jeremy Hill could have waited until after the season to have surgery

https://sports.yahoo.com/marvin-lewis-jeremy-hill-could-130635054.html?src=rss

Marvin Lewis: Jeremy Hill could have waited until after the season to have surgery

Bengals running back Jeremy Hill is having season-ending ankle surgery for an injury that coach Marvin Lewis says didn’t have to end Hill’s season.

Lewis said on Monday that two doctors agreed that Hill could have played the rest of the season on his ankle and had surgery after the season, but Hill chose to do it now.

“Jeremy thinks he needs to have ankle surgery,” Lewis said, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. “Yeah, I think I would be [surprised]. I think he’s consulted a couple physicians, both said that this was something that could wait until after the season but he just felt like it was causing too much discomfort.”

Hill hadn’t been on the Bengals’ official injury report and Lewis said he didn’t need to be, because he wasn’t experiencing any issues that would indicate he couldn’t play.

“I don’t think he had any instance of [a problem] since this August when he rolled his ankle in training camp, or whatever it was, training camp or warmups in a game — I can’t remember what it was,” Lewis said. “One of those times in the preseason. But that’s the only instance he’s had this fall.”

Those comments suggest Lewis and Hill aren’t on the same page, and that’s not surprising: Lewis is coaching a 3-6 team and wants all hands on deck in an attempt to turn things around. But Hill has to think about his future, specifically the fact that he’s in the last year of his contract, and the Bengals are unlikely to bring him back after drafting running back Joe Mixon this year. For Hill, the right move is to put his injury behind him as quickly as possible and be able to show teams he’s healthy when he hits free agency. Even if Lewis wanted Hill to tough it out for seven more weeks.

Bengals sign Brian Hill off Falcons practice squad

Posted by Josh Alper on November 14, 2017, 4:30 PM EST

The Bengals placed running back Jeremy Hill on injured reserve over the weekend and they made a move on Tuesday to add another player to the backfield.

They also saved a little money because they won’t need to print up another nameplate for the depth chart. They announced that they have signed running back Brian Hill off of the Falcons practice squad.

Hill was a fifth-round pick of the Falcons this year and opened the season on the active roster. He played in one game, but didn’t carry the ball or catch a pass before being waived and re-signed to the practice squad a month ago.

The Bengals waived linebacker Hardy Nickerson Jr. to open a spot for Hill. Nickerson appeared in seven games and made two tackles this season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/14/bengals-sign-brian-hill-off-falcons-practice-squad/

5 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Marvin sort of thru Hill under the bus as he does when he is feeling the heat.

JH probably knows he is gone at years end so why wait.  Have the surgery now and be ready for his next team sooner.

I agree.  Hill had nothing to gain running a few snaps every game behind this shit o line.  

3 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

The Bengals waived linebacker Hardy Nickerson Jr. to open a spot for Hill. Nickerson appeared in seven games and made two tackles this season.

Nickerson (and Cody Core) also blew their special teams coverage and allowed a punt to be returned for a touchdown.

25 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Marvin just comes off as petty in his pressers anymore. He needs to go. Hell, he needed to go after the San Diego playoff loss. It's about the only thing I have ever agreed with Stephen A Smith about.

You do realize that citing Stephen A. Smith as being on your side ruins your argument, right?

36 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Marvin just comes off as petty in his pressers anymore. He needs to go. Hell, he needed to go after the San Diego playoff loss. It's about the only thing I have ever agreed with Stephen A Smith about.

Marvin says "I take full responsibility" and then blames everyone else.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:24 PM, fredtoast said:

You do realize that citing Stephen A. Smith as being on your side ruins your argument, right?

I already stated that it's about the only thing I have ever agreed with him on. He was not wrong then, and it's even more obvious now.

Archived