https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/11/16/would-bengals-actually-leave-cincinnati-your-questions-nfl-relocation-answered/869938001/

How would you feel if the Bengals did leave Hamilton County?  With all the new parking being developed right next to the stadium I think it is a non debate, however it me wonder what it would be like to drive by and see this stadium with no Bengals. 

Summary:  Lease is up in 2026.  Brown doesn't want to leave Cincinnati.  Brown also recognizes the city/area isn't growing and what once was a top 20 market is now a top 40 market.  If Cincinnati continues to decline the team/NFL may have no choice but to relocate.

I would say that is pretty accurate.  As revenue from home games becomes less important having teams in big media cities becomes even more important.  Cincinnati may have to tell the Bengals goodbye down the road.

1 hour ago, snarkster said:

Brown doesn't want to leave Cincinnati, but that will in no way hinder him from  exerting maximum coercion on the community.

Sounds like it to me.  I question where this "dropping from Top 20 to Top 40 market" stuff came from.  I just read elsewhere that the city is one of the fastest growing in the region for small business, downtown & surrounding neighborhoods are rapidly gentrifying improving.. Hard to believe that the city is worse off than when the stadium opened.  Maybe it is but I'm more inclined to believe this is the Mike Brown Charitable Trust looking to stick their hand in the public cookie jar in return for hanging around.  I'm also more inclined to tell them to pack up their shit and move to Omaha if they think they deserve to be subsidized.  When was the last time his franchise brought attention to the city that wasn't completely negative? 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Sounds like it to me.  I question where this "dropping from Top 20 to Top 40 market" stuff came from.  I just read elsewhere that the city is one of the fastest growing in the region for small business, downtown & surrounding neighborhoods are rapidly gentrifying improving.. Hard to believe that the city is worse off than when the stadium opened.  Maybe it is but I'm more inclined to believe this is the Mike Brown Charitable Trust looking to stick their hand in the public cookie jar in return for hanging around.  I'm also more inclined to tell them to pack up their shit and move to Omaha if they think they deserve to be subsidized.  When was the last time his franchise brought attention to the city that wasn't completely negative? 

If you want to question the article start by reading it. 

"Brown admitted there’s no certainty in Cincinnati in the long range due to the dwindling market size. When the Bengals moved to Cincinnati, the city ranked in the mid-teens of market size. They have since dropped to 36th."

Here is some backup.

https://www.newsgeneration.com/broadcast-resources/top-100-radio-markets/

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

If you want to question the article start by reading it. 

"Brown admitted there’s no certainty in Cincinnati in the long range due to the dwindling market size. When the Bengals moved to Cincinnati, the city ranked in the mid-teens of market size. They have since dropped to 36th."

Here is some backup.

https://www.newsgeneration.com/broadcast-resources/top-100-radio-markets/

Top 100 radio markets? What century is this?

"We need to move to a bigger city with more cobblers and blacksmiths!"  :liberalmedia:

Just now, T-Dub said:

Top 100 radio markets? What century is this?

"We need to move to a bigger city with more cobblers and blacksmiths!"  :liberalmedia:

Same data.  Christ.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_America_by_media_market

Maybe this is some kind of conspiracy as well?

Just now, T-Dub said:

I'm no marketing genius like Mike Brown, I admit

Mike Brown runs a shitty football team, but makes a bunch of money.  Frankly, what Brown wants won't really matter if  Cincinnati drops below #50 in media markets.  The NFL will make them move.

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Mike Brown runs a shitty football team, but makes a bunch of money.  Frankly, what Brown wants won't really matter if  Cincinnati drops below #50 in media markets.  The NFL will make them move.

Ok now that's an interesting possibility.  I wonder if there is something on paper with the franchise licensing regarding that, or if it's more of a closed door, strong-armed "suggestion" where you either do what they say or you get fewer integrities  next season.

17 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Like the Packers? Bengals will be a 60 year old franchise when this lease expires, they aren't moving.

16 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Like the Packers? Bengals will be a 60 year old franchise when this lease expires, they aren't moving.

Almost like being a championship team with a winning tradition and not making a point of coddling miscreants is more important than geography

1 minute ago, turningpoint said:

Also, you have to pay a transfer fee, it will be like $500 million in 10 years. It was $350 million last year for the chargers. You think Mike brown will do that?

6 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Also, you have to pay a transfer fee, it will be like $500 million in 10 years. It was $350 million last year for the chargers. You think Mike brown will do that?

The Raiders were also assessed a $350 million relocation fee, but Las Vegas gave the Raiders over $900M in incentives for building and maintaining a $1.9 billion dollar stadium.  The Davis and Brown families are pretty good at math.

Archived