2017 Play off Picture

And now, if the early signs of the oline playing "better" from the Denver game continues, then YES, we can not only make it to but win a playoff game. The litmus test is Pittsburgh. Well, Cleveland, actually, a game we used to assume was a win. But IF, and ONLY IF, we win both of those, then you'd agree that suddenly the conversation changes for us, yes? 6-6?

3 hours ago, Jason said:

We are an otherwise good team with an awful O-line.

We have a very good defense and very bad offense. The offense is WAY worse than many of you believe.  

1 great player: AJ Green.

1 good but fading player: Lafell

4 average players: Dalton, Gio/Mixon (same position), Kroft, Boling.

The rest of the players are backups at best, fuck ups or garbage.

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

We have a very good defense and very bad offense. The offense is WAY worse than many of you believe.  

I agree but would say Lafell is average and holding

Add to your list 1 Mystery Player in Ross,

maybe 2 if you count Boyd, the Invisible Man

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I agree but would say Lafell is average and holding

Add to your list 1 Mystery Player in Ross,

maybe 2 if you count Boyd, the Invisible Man

Ross = Mystery Man

Boyd = Fuck up

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

Boling, Bernard, and Dalton all belong in the "good" category.  How can you possibly have them ranked behind LaFell and on the same level with Kroft?

Boling was highly rated as a potential free agent.  He is the 14th highest paid guard in the league this year.

Bernard was returning form injury last year but over his first three healthy seasons he was tenth in the league in yards from scrimmage among running backs and one of only 5 players with 2000 yards rushing and 1000 yards receiving.

23 hours ago, fluhartz said:

dude.. I fucking love this team too... but we are far from a great team....that's laughable

If they would SOMEHOW  sneak in to the playoffs.. I could maybe see them beating one of the the shitty teams that isn't NE or the stealers (yea..everyone else sucks) 

but you can't act like the Bengals are good or something.... 

and with ole marv at the helm... I really expect nothing....it wouldn't shock me to lose to the fucking clowns this week 

What I am saying is this, and No Not a Homer, but we have talent that is on the team, especially skilled talent, if and when it starts clicking we can be very competitive, and can go win the playoff games.  Adjustments need to be made, and when it comes to playing the pats or stoolers, or any other team, it is game by game.  If we can start making adjustments and hitting our stride we can beat anyone on any given day.  We are talented enough to beat any team.  However we have to start playing like our potential.  

38 minutes ago, Marlon23 said:

What I am saying is this, and No Not a Homer, but we have talent that is on the team, especially skilled talent, if and when it starts clicking we can be very competitive, and can go win the playoff games.  Adjustments need to be made, and when it comes to playing the pats or stoolers, or any other team, it is game by game.  If we can start making adjustments and hitting our stride we can beat anyone on any given day.  We are talented enough to beat any team.  However we have to start playing like our potential.  

This OL is a liability against any competent defense. 

12 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Boling, Bernard, and Dalton all belong in the "good" category.  How can you possibly have them ranked behind LaFell and on the same level with Kroft?

Boling was highly rated as a potential free agent.  He is the 14th highest paid guard in the league this year.

Bernard was returning form injury last year but over his first three healthy seasons he was tenth in the league in yards from scrimmage among running backs and one of only 5 players with 2000 yards rushing and 1000 yards receiving.

Dalton is a mid teens NFL QB thus average.  Wentz and Wilson are good QBs. Brady and Brees are great.  

I can accept Boling as good. 

Bernard has never been in the TOP 10 in the NFL for any meaningful statistic I don't think.  He is middle of the pack.  He is usually  available in most fantasy leagues.  I feel he has been wasted but at the end of the day you have to put up numbers at RB.

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

Dalton is a mid teens NFL QB thus average. 

Since Dalton entered the league in 2011 only 7 NFL QBs have more tds (124), passing yards (18008), and a higher passer rating (88.4) than Dalton.

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Roethisberger
Rivers
Ryan
Stafford

Since 2011 Cam Newton is the only QB with more rushing tds and among QBs with at least 2500 attempts only Drew Brees has fewer fumbles.

So far Wentz is nothing more than a one year wonder and his passer rating this year (103.4) is not as good as Dalton's best season (106.2).  Since 2011 only 9 QBs have had a higher single season passer rating than Dalton had in 2015.

But all of that aside, please explain how Brandon LaFell ranks higher among WRS than Dalton does among QBs.

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

Bernard has never been in the TOP 10 in the NFL for any meaningful statistic I don't think. 

In 2015 he was 5th in the league in yards per carry.

Again, what has LaFell done to be ranked higher than Bernard?  Only thing I can figure is that you like to shit on players the Bengals draft than ones who come from other teams.

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

In 2015 he was 5th in the league in yards per carry.

Again, what has LaFell done to be ranked higher than Bernard?  Only thing I can figure is that you like to shit on players the Bengals draft than ones who come from other teams.

He was 28th in the league in rushing yards.  He is so good he has NEVER been the featured back.

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Since Dalton entered the league in 2011 only 7 NFL QBs have more tds (124), passing yards (18008), and a higher passer rating (88.4) than Dalton.

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Roethisberger
Rivers
Ryan
Stafford

Since 2011 Cam Newton is the only QB with more rushing tds and among QBs with at least 2500 attempts only Drew Brees has fewer fumbles.

So far Wentz is nothing more than a one year wonder and his passer rating this year (103.4) is not as good as Dalton's best season (106.2).  Since 2011 only 9 QBs have had a higher single season passer rating than Dalton had in 2015.

But all of that aside, please explain how Brandon LaFell ranks higher among WRS than Dalton does among QBs.

Simple, you rank players based on position played.  Lafell is a good  #2 receiver.  He was brought here and paid to be a #2 receiver.

Dalton is an average QB. Ask any coach to pick their top 10 QBs, Dalton won't be on many lists.  He had one good year and the rest have been average all while surrounded by pretty good talent.   

Even in 2015 most rating services had him as a second or third tier QB.   

There's no doubt in my mind that we need more Giovanni Bernard, it's largely been in the way he's used. He's NOT EVER going to be an inside the tackles guy on run plays (especially with this oline, and since that isn't his strength as a smaller guy), and then you factor in the times he's been targeted for screens, etc and it's been a big fail. WE MUST NOT STOP DOING THIS. Mixon is our featured back, and that's great, but GET THE BALL TO BERNARD IN SPACE ON PLAYS THAT ACTUALLY WORK!

4 hours ago, Bunghole said:

There's no doubt in my mind that we need more Giovanni Bernard, it's largely been in the way he's used. He's NOT EVER going to be an inside the tackles guy on run plays (especially with this oline, and since that isn't his strength as a smaller guy), and then you factor in the times he's been targeted for screens, etc and it's been a big fail. WE MUST NOT STOP DOING THIS. Mixon is our featured back, and that's great, but GET THE BALL TO BERNARD IN SPACE ON PLAYS THAT ACTUALLY WORK!

Gio is almost the exact same size as Barry Sanders. The fact that he has only run the ball 31 times this year is hard to explain.  He is a better running back than Mixon.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Gio is almost the exact same size as Barry Sanders. The fact that he has only run the ball 31 times this year is hard to explain.  He is a better running back than Mixon.

IDK that he's better, but he is more elusive which is a good thing to be when you don't have any blocking in front of you.  I think Mixon is a better all-around RB, but good luck proving that in this offense. I think Hill is going to be very productive as well, provided he lands on a team with an OL.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

IDK that he's better, but he is more elusive which is a good thing to be when you don't have any blocking in front of you.  I think Mixon is a better all-around RB, but good luck proving that in this offense. I think Hill is going to be very productive as well, provided he lands on a team with an OL.

Exactly, giving the current situation, Bernard is the better back.  More elusive in the backfield.  Mixon would probably be a better back on Dallas or anywhere else with a good line where he could be little more patient then use his size and speed to punish linebackers and secondary types. 

On 11/25/2017 at 1:00 AM, T-Dub said:

Mixon is finally showing why we drafted him.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:43 PM, SF2 said:

You can't actually believe that. I am a big Gio fan but I don't even think he's better than Mixon. That's crazy talk.

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Mixon is finally showing why we drafted him.

Coincidental that the offensive line is finally showing they can put an effort together that appropriately supports him? 

Also, as was pointed out in the game thread, they lined up and ran a bunch from the I, with Hewitt actually paving the way for him. A lot fewer of the sweep plays out to the perimeter with the entire line being expected to pull *and* block. 

For those who live and die by, and also claim our position players have been underachieving, I implore you to PLEASE invest time in looking into just how, precisely, football games are won and lost. Hint:it typically involves the really large fellas that start each play right around the ball.

Archived