Only one game out of playoffs with 6 to go.

The 5-5 Ravens currently hold the 6th playoff spot in the AFC.  The Bills are the only other team at 5-5.  At 4-6 the Bengals are only one game out.

As a die hard Bengal fan this is usually where I would start comparing the remaining schedules for Bills, Ravens, and Bengals (and possibly the five other AFC teams that are currently 4-6), but I really don't see any point.  The Bengals are not struggling because they have players out with injury who might be coming back.  The Bengals have not lost a bunch of "fluke" games because of bad luck or bounces of the ball.  The Bengals are not "peaking" after a slow start of the season.  The ugly truth is that the Bengals are one of the worst teams in the league and getting worse instead of better. 

Our offense is dead last in the league in yards gained, first downs, rushing yards and rushing yards per carry.  We are 29th or lower in points scored, passing yards, rushing tds, and time of possession.

We have not beaten a single team with a winning record, and only two other teams in the league have played a weaker schedule than us.  Four of our remaining six games are against teams that are .500 or better.

Over the previous five games our offense has been held under 200 yards 3 times while our defense has not held a single opponent under 300 yards and allowed 400+ three times.  During that span we have been outgained by an average of 382 to 220.

31 minutes ago, TheBeaverHunter said:

Time to extend Marvin.....

a couple more wins and I will be shocked if it doesn't happen...

and Fred.. you're right on.. I see no point either..

With this offensive line..they can't beat the good teams..especially in the playoffs..

We will probably win enough games to be out of the top 10 in the draft and for the clapper to stick around

Chad Johnson has the perfect metaphor for the next week.

https://deadspin.com/chad-johnson-busts-his-ass-on-a-skateboard-1820597213

Because we're going to get a little bounce from beating a woeful Broncos squad, and face the Browns this week before we hit the ramp that is the Stealers and wind up ass over tea kettle.

If Fred is being down on the team you know that we have some legitimate issues right now.

I try to never root for the team to lose but I don't see the point in making the playoffs this year. If I lived in the area and attended the games, that would be the only way I'd root for wins right now so I could enjoy myself more watching them live.

We can't make a serious run with this team, backing into the playoffs just ensures that we extend Marvin's WC losing streak and then miss out on the top prospects. Our offense is equally boring and terrible and then our defense isn't the 2000 Ravens to make up for it. We aren't even excelling at ST like we have in the past. We suck.

4 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Here's a scary thought...

Only one team has ever gone winless. That means that statistically speaking, the Browns will win a game over the next few weeks. There is a better than average chance we're the team they beat.

I assume you are only counting a 16 game season.

Archived