Thanksgiving Football

Looks like we may have at least one compelling matchup tomorrow (or maybe they all will be, who knows?), with the Vikings and Lions going after it in a divisional battle. I expect to see a lot of offense in that one. I think this game will be epic, the Lions need the win to try and usurp the Vikings in the divisional lead, and although I like the Lions because they are similar to my favorite team in playoff drought duration and finding unique, creative and crazy ways to lose games, I love me some Mike Zimmer. He's my favorite NFL coach by far.

Chargers and Cowboys...could be good. They are only separated by one game in the W/L column, and the Chargers seem to have improved recently while the Cowboys have lost a few (better opponents though, to be sure). However, for the first time in recent memory, I will be a Cowboys fan, as I need the AFC Chargers at 4-6 to descend into oblivion to hopefully bolster the minute chances of another AFC team I like that's 4-6 and who's name starts with a "C" and ends with an "I", and is synonymous with Skyline Chili.

Giants v Redskins could also be good, that Giants defense is starting to show up and the Foreskins are starting a slide that they must reverse to at least stay in the NFC wildcard discussion. Losing that OT game to the 'Aints was a titanic struggle....the Skins offense can bring it, but losing Chris Thompson is a big blow.

Whaddya think about the matchups?

Further, is there ANY way we can get different teams to play on Thanksgiving? I know it's a tradition (is it a contractual rule?) for the Lions, Vikes, Boys and maybe the Pack to play on Turkey Day, but I wish there was more variety. So many of those games, combined with lots of trytophan tend to lull me to sleep.

A little OT but I was at the '97 Lions game on Thanksgiving.  That traditional home game is a HUGE deal for those fans.  I get tired of seeing the same teams every year, but Detriot fans deserve to keep that tradition.

BTW that game was on my birthday and I saw Barry Sanders tie the NFL record for most consecutive 100 yd rushing games on his way to 2000 that year.  Classic Sanders game.  Five carries for no gain or a loss, but seven carries over 10 yards including tds of 15, 25, and 40.

Watching Mike Zimmer today just makes me even more sad about what could have been. His passion on the side lines is undeniable, and for me, that is the biggest flaw Marvin has. Getting in players faces, letting the refs know how he thinks about certain calls and not looking like a deer in the headlights is something is so refreshing to see. And it helps he built his team into a contender as well. Sigh...

1 hour ago, ValleyBengal said:

Watching Mike Zimmer today just makes me even more sad about what could have been. His passion on the side lines is undeniable, and for me, that is the biggest flaw Marvin has. Getting in players faces, letting the refs know how he thinks about certain calls and not looking like a deer in the headlights is something is so refreshing to see. And it helps he built his team into a contender as well. Sigh...

I thought exactly the same, keeping Zimmer on our sidelines was a no brainer. 

5 hours ago, ValleyBengal said:

I like Zimmer a lot, but his defenses here folded in the playoffs, and the one time he made the playoffs as a HC his team blew a 2 score lead in the fourth quarter.

So far he has not done anything more than Marvin as a head coach.

23 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Further, is there ANY way we can get different teams to play on Thanksgiving? 

3 of the 4 NFC East teams, and the only one missing is also the only one with a winning record, the #1 seed in the NFC and the best overall record in the NFL. 

Are the markets so big that the NFL doesn't care if the games are unwatchable for anyone outside of them?  Are people in NYC or DC even staying up to watch a 4-6 team play a 2-8 team?  You'd think they'd at least make the Central/Pacific time zone match-up the late game. 

All the other bullshit aside, their viewers are down because of dumb stuff like this.  Millions of football fans sitting around at home and they schedule 1 game out of 3 between teams that are above .500?  Hey next season let's host one in London or maybe Jakarta!  Pile that shield full of integrities!

3 hours ago, fredtoast said:

I like Zimmer a lot, but his defenses here folded in the playoffs, and the one time he made the playoffs as a HC his team blew a 2 score lead in the fourth quarter.

So far he has not done anything more than Marvin as a head coach.

Wasn't that playoff game you refer to a fiesta of made and missed field goals in one of the coldest games ever played in the history of the game against the Seahawks? I'd still rather have Zimmer, and I don't care about the comparisons to Marvin. Zimmer's players love him and live and die with him. Marvin's players are "meh".

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

3 of the 4 NFC East teams, and the only one missing is also the only one with a winning record, the #1 seed in the NFC and the best overall record in the NFL. 

Are the markets so big that the NFL doesn't care if the games are unwatchable for anyone outside of them?  Are people in NYC or DC even staying up to watch a 4-6 team play a 2-8 team?  You'd think they'd at least make the Central/Pacific time zone match-up the late game. 

All the other bullshit aside, their viewers are down because of dumb stuff like this.  Millions of football fans sitting around at home and they schedule 1 game out of 3 between teams that are above .500?  Hey next season let's host one in London or maybe Jakarta!  Pile that shield full of integrities!

Can't the Thanksgiving games be flexed to reflect good matchups like they do for Sunday night games? FFS, Thanksgiving has GOT to be the NFL's biggest rated set of games every season. Even if people aren't watching the TV's are tuned into them for background noise.

11 hours ago, whodey? said:

What is this Godless you speak of?

Seven episode series on Netflix.  Maybe not for everyone but I like it and have binged right through it.

Maybe not for the kiddies and Mrs. Dey may something unkind to you and leave the room.  I always consider that a plus. :smile:

Apparently T-Dub likes it, too.

7 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I'd still rather have Zimmer, and I don't care about the comparisons to Marvin. Zimmer's players love him and live and die with him. Marvin's players are "meh".

So much this ☝🏽, word and anything else you want to say about agreeing.

Marvin is taken for granted, at best, by the players.  He doesn't even look like he wants to be there.

9 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Can't the Thanksgiving games be flexed to reflect good matchups like they do for Sunday night games?

Too complicated to flex from one date to another instead of just moving the kickoff time on the same day.  Travel and hotels for teams, fans, and media plus possible venue availablity. 

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

These games were scheduled months ago and in 2016 the Redskins, Cowboys, Giants, and Lions all had winning records and the Vikings finished 8-8.

10 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Seven episode series on Netflix.  Maybe not for everyone but I like it and have binged right through it.

Maybe not for the kiddies and Mrs. Dey may something unkind to you and leave the room.  I always consider that a plus. :smile:

Gritty, bloody Western with just enough twists & weird undertones to keep it from being too formulaic.  What's not to like?

12 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Well hell, if it’s good and she leaves me alone it sounds like a win win to me! 😂

Archived