O-Line Love

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/11/27/cincinnati-bengals-notes-vontaze-burfict-flag-unfortunate-legal-play/899695001/

CONTINUED PROGRESS UP FRONT: A positive trend of the last four games has been the pass protection from the offensive line. Pro Football Focus had Andy Dalton only being pressured on six dropbacks, tied for fewest of the week (Marcus Mariota, Tennessee). PFF only put three of those pressures on the offensive line, giving them a 92 percent pass blocking efficiency.

This marked only their second 90-plus pass-blocking efficiency game of the season. The first came against Tennessee.

Offensive coordinator Bill Lazor kept his cautious tone, but also lauded the blitz pickup from his running backs.

“I thought Giovani (Bernard) did a great job,” Lazor said. “I thought No. 26, (Derrick) Kindred, on film we saw him beating offensive linemen as a blitzer. He is a good blitzer. I thought Gio did a good job. He had to block 20 also, (Briean) Boddy-Calhoun. Joe did a good job with it. They stunted a little more inside and I thought our line had some good pass offs on their stunts. I thought that was a positive.

"You want your standard to be perfect, but I think we showed improvement. I'll put it that way to be cautiously positive. I think we showed improvement.” 

4 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Thde measuring stick is coming into town Monday night....Bengals win that game and I bet half this board changes their attitudes real quick.

It certainly would change mine.   Even if we are close and play well it would be a big deal.   Its all going to come down to protecting Andy me thinks.

4 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Thde measuring stick is coming into town Monday night....Bengals win that game and I bet half this board changes their attitudes real quick.

My attitude won't change as i believe so far we have a losing season. If we win Monday night we will be at .500 - if we win out and by the grace of God get in to the playoffs, then my attitude will be - "good God, maybe."

1 hour ago, mhfinks said:

My attitude won't change as i believe so far we have a losing season. If we win Monday night we will be at .500 - if we win out and by the grace of God get in to the playoffs, then my attitude will be - "good God, maybe."

We beat the Stealers I belive we will finish 9-7, no way we beat the vikings in Minnesota unless Zimmer does us a favor.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:00 AM, fredtoast said:

Bengals run defense is in the top half of the league in rushing tds and yards per carry allowed.  It could use some improvement, but it is not "terrible"

But in total rush D they are 28th.  Granted some of that is games where teams were protecting leads, but still, that's not good.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

But in total rush D they are 28th.  Granted some of that is games where teams were protecting leads, but still, that's not good.

I also think it had a lot to do with how inept the offense was. Time of possession wore the defense out, they were out there 40minutes some games.

The Packers were able to move the ball, get big plays, and score 28 points. The Bengals have a better offense than the Packers at this point of the season so they should be able to have a similar performance at home vs a division rival. 

The crowd noise won't be an issue and they should have some confidence after a few good performances so I hope they can play their best football to date.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 12:20 PM, HavePityPlease said:

I'm curious as to people's observations on what actually *changed* with the O-line recently?  The only personnel changes were Fisher out, Winston in.  I like to think Winston might actually be another coach for the guys, one who can actually show them how to do it.  I also like to think that maybe Lazor is finally having an impact on how the OL plays.  In terms of on-field play, I've noticed a couple of things:

- Hopkins has been key on some explosive plays, in both pass and run.  Maybe he's finally getting his feet under him?

- Obvious:  Hewitt as an integral part of the running game works wonders.

- Keeping Andre in one spot is obviously starting to help him.

Thoughts?

In terms of the running game I think we're just starting to see some evolution.

What I've seen on Twitter from those who review the films the consensus seems to be that they've made the scheme into something more simple.  Boling has played well the last few weeks.

Also heard an interview with Mixon who said he has been watching more and more film with the o-line to ensure that his running lanes are aligning to what they're seeing up front on playcalls.  I think a lot of their success this week will be running out of the spread.

On 11/28/2017 at 2:29 PM, SF2 said:

It certainly would change mine.   Even if we are close and play well it would be a big deal.   Its all going to come down to protecting Andy me thinks.

It would go a long way toward changing mine, but I not betting any pocket change on it (much less the house).  Nothing this OL does though will change my opinion that there needs to be a minimum of five new faces come 2018-19 camp opening - a LT, a RT, a C/G, a new OL coach & a new HC.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:34 PM, T-Dub said:

Would be amazing if we dislocated his neck.

If flying head first into some poor senior citizens windshield while driving your rice burner, without a helmet, like an idiot doesn't dislocate your neck.... Yah, you're right, it would be amazing if a Bengals player could...

37 minutes ago, BengalBuck said:

If flying head first into some poor senior citizens windshield while driving your rice burner, without a helmet, like an idiot doesn't dislocate your neck.... Yah, you're right, it would be amazing if a Bengals player could...

Just to be clear, this has very little to do with a football rivalry and everything to do with him being a serial rapist & superstar athlete in a sport that routinely downplays violence against women while castigating someone like Burfict. 

Archived