More mental gymnastics to justify a dirty Steeler helmet hit

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/26/16703644/tj-watt-pittsburgh-Stealers-green-bay-packers-sack-rule-roughing-the-passer

This would be funny if it were a joke.  I know it's a tired cliche around here, but imagine if Burfict did this?  Gone for the year, easy.  I mean, he very very clearly just meant to hurt the guy, which admittedly used to be how the game was played.  The reality is it's a different game today and if the Bengals are going to be at a disadvantage because they supposedly do "this stuff" all the time, then I'm sorry, nobody gets to do it (and the Stealers are constant offenders who are never in the national conversation about dirty play).

Here's a view of the full play:

He didn't even reach out with his hands to try to pull or push him down. Led with helmet, clearly intended to hit with his helmet, even lowered it. At some point, leading with the helmet needs to be completely eradicated or completely allowed. Hitting and leading with your head is just as bad as hitting someone else's head and will lead to concussions just the same. So much hypocrisy in the NFL about concussions, and it's reached a point that they should write in any NFL contract that brain damage will be inevitable and that the owners will be forced to provide mental and brain damage treatment coverage for life into every contract. And then either get rid of the rule, get rid of helmets, or enforce a targeting rule (to protect the hitter and the target) without fail and without bias - targeting meaning any forceful impact that involves the head as the initial contact point, whether it's the hitter leading with his head or the impact on the head of the target.

But it's just tough Stiller footbaw. 

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

The stealers must coach the helmet spearing. I don't remember him doing that at Wisconsin.

Same with Shazier..

they go there and become instant shitbags 

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Did Collinsworth stop beating off long enough to say anything about it?

no

I guess I should hold my breath waiting for a suspension before saying this? but;

Two sets of rules.

8 hours ago, ValleyBengal said:

He didn't even reach out with his hands to try to pull or push him down. Led with helmet, clearly intended to hit with his helmet, even lowered it. At some point, leading with the helmet needs to be completely eradicated or completely allowed. Hitting and leading with your head is just as bad as hitting someone else's head and will lead to concussions just the same. So much hypocrisy in the NFL about concussions, and it's reached a point that they should write in any NFL contract that brain damage will be inevitable and that the owners will be forced to provide mental and brain damage treatment coverage for life into every contract

That is exactly what they're trying to avoid.  Right now their strategy is to push for more "research" to prove that getting bashed in the brainbox repeatedly is bad for you, so they can then claim to not have prior knowledge.  Step 2, suspend Burfict again.  See! They're changing the game for the player safeties and integrities! Please no sue k thx.

10 hours ago, fluhartz said:

same shit different day.

I was watching it live and just shook my head.. did you see him get up and look around, he knew there should be a flag..

#stealerfootbawl 

This.  Spot on.  I was shocked there wasn't a flag or even any discussion of a flag.

9 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

This.  Spot on.  I was shocked there wasn't a flag or even any discussion of a flag.

They were busy knob-slobbing their favorite Stealers at that point in the game. Collinsworth’s commentary on what an incredible play Watt made “coming from coverage” should tell you all you need to know about where the announcers were at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

19 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Then why didn't he? There was nothing stopping him. I guess he knows that the same idiots that say that a bengal injured Shazier will believe this stupidity. Inbred kid from Deliverance looking motherfucker.

4 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Then why didn't he? There was nothing stopping him. I guess he knows that the same idiots that say that a bengal injured Shazier will believe this stupidity. Inbred kid from Deliverance looking motherfucker.

Agreed. That team plane needs to blow the fuck up already.

Archived