What the heck is the real story about Ross?

33 minutes ago, Rick said:

We need him this Monday to just outrun the Stealers every play!

I think its possible/probable that Malone goes on concussion protocol for the hit Sunday.

Probably did not show it on TV but it was right in front of us at the stadium and Malone was in la la land for awhile after the hit.

That would at least force Ross to be active.  If they pulled something else, it would really stink.

But, yeah, what is the real story.

10 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I think its possible/probable that Malone goes on concussion protocol for the hit Sunday.

Probably did not show it on TV but it was right in front of us at the stadium and Malone was in la la land for awhile after the hit.

That would at least force Ross to be active.  If they pulled something else, it would really stink.

But, yeah, what is the real story.

Well, there really aren't many theories that make sense other than he is terrible in practice.  It is really the only thing that makes sense.  No reason to hide an injury.

There have only been a couple reliable notes about Ross.  I have to think his lack of action is due to some combination of injury and/or effort.  Lapham mentioned a few weeks back that he wasn't playing up to his normal speed in practice.  Ross himself has talked about being tired after a couple plays, basically meaning he isn't in playing shape.  The injuries cost him practically his whole off season and a good chunk of training camp.  He's behind on both his conditioning and his knowledge of the offense.  As a result, the coaches don't trust him to not make mistakes and Ross has a couple high profile fuck ups on his limited resume.  It's looking like Ross' rookie season will be a total loss.

I know some rookies are slower to develop than others, but this is getting ridiculous.

Conditioning is no excuse.  His injury from college was to his shoulder so he should have still been in top cardio condition before his pre-season knee injury.  It might have taken him a while to work back from that, but he has been running for weeks.

Learning the playboook has obviously been a problem, but he should be able to get on the field for at least a few snaps even if he does not know the entire offense inside and out.

He must be either really stupid or have a shitty work ethic.  I like Malone a lot.  I feel he was extremely underrated in the draft, but Ross has more pure talent than him.  Ross was not just a track guy in college.  He knew how to run routes.

Really... How about he's not very good.

If you want to get into the old saw of Marvin not playing Rookies, Josh Malone's snap count keeps going up... Even taking snaps from LaFell.

And with that... The 4th round rookie is playing and the 1st rounder isn't. Conclusion: 1st round pick is not better than 4th round pick.

Ross missed camp, and then missed most of the beginning of the season due to injuries. I'm guessing he's not NFL ready.

21 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If you want to get into the old saw of Marvin not playing Rookies, Josh Malone's snap count keeps going up... Even taking snaps from LaFell.

And with that... The 4th round rookie is playing and the 1st rounder isn't. Conclusion: 1st round pick is not better than 4th round pick.

Ross missed camp, and then missed most of the beginning of the season due to injuries. I'm guessing he's not NFL ready.

But, but, but, his 40 time.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

The December 2017 issue of Cincinnati Magazine, their Best of Cincinnati issue, has a big article on Ross.  I saw it at the dentist office and didn't read it.  

Were you too busy doing the Highlights puzzles?

11 minutes ago, Hooky said:

But, but, but, his 40 time.

And in fairness, he was slated to be a first round pick. (Maybe not top 10... but...) The talent is there. And not in a Mario Alford kind of way.

How much time has he had to work with Andy? How many reps can he get in with the first team? And so on... The injuries set him back. And once he's back, is he ready to go for a full 60 minutes?

Jobs are on the line here... They're putting the best guys on the field that will either save their current job or get their next one. Do you think Ball Lazor is going "Hey, Marvin, I know you have a hard-on about this Ross kid not playing... And I'm totally fine with that. I do not want to score an extra TD per game and get considered for an O-Coord position here or elsewhere next year. Do you bro."

Hopefully, he can get healthy and get some of the "non-gameday" work in and we'll see more of him next year.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

I know some rookies are slower to develop than others, but this is getting ridiculous.

Conditioning is no excuse.  His injury from college was to his shoulder so he should have still been in top cardio condition before his pre-season knee injury.  It might have taken him a while to work back from that, but he has been running for weeks.

Learning the playboook has obviously been a problem, but he should be able to get on the field for at least a few snaps even if he does not know the entire offense inside and out.

He must be either really stupid or have a shitty work ethic.  I like Malone a lot.  I feel he was extremely underrated in the draft, but Ross has more pure talent than him.  Ross was not just a track guy in college.  He knew how to run routes.

Just based on the reaction of the coaches the last time he was out there and screwed up, I gotta believe you are spot on. You would think the only reason Ross would be on such a short leash would be due to making a multitude of mistakes or his attitude at practice.  A guy with his kind of speed should be able to stretch the defense and take some pressure off AJ Green.  The fact that he cant even be a decoy like Chad Johnson in New England speaks volumes. 

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

That is possible, but it is way too early to know this for sure.  I can post a long list of NFL stars who did not do very much through their first 11 games.

The Bengals were not the only people who thought Ross had first round talent.  It is possible that he has been slowed by injury or just needs extra time to absorb the mental parts of the game.

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

That is possible, but it is way too early to know this for sure.  I can post a long list of NFL stars who did not do very much through their first 11 games.

The Bengals were not the only people who thought Ross had first round talent.  It is possible that he has been slowed by injury or just needs extra time to absorb the mental parts of the game.

It's pretty much this, why are people so concerned? Just think that he's sitting on IR. Dude aint ready, give him until next year. He's going to eventually tear it up but that will take some time. I don't really see how he can help this offense right now anyway.

9 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

It's pretty much this, why are people so concerned? Just think that he's sitting on IR. Dude aint ready, give him until next year.

Some people just live to shit on the Bengals.

It is kind of sad because there are plenty of legit reasons to complain about the Bengals, but some people strain as hard as they can to make up stuff to bitch and squeal about.

Kid is either hurt, lazy or dumb.

Although he only scored a 16 on his Wonderlic, I think it's one of the first two. I find it hard to believe he can't at least get on the active roster and return kicks, even if he's not ready for significant route running. Sadly, whatever it is, he's not building any confidence from those (including me) who thought his selection was a piss poor one. It's way too early to start drawing long term conclusions but I am already starting to wonder if this kid can prove me wrong. 

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

He is easily better than Malone. Everything about him screams all pro and pro bowler. It's Lewis not wanting to draft him and getting overruled and now he's punishing Ross for it. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Just based on the reaction of the coaches the last time he was out there and screwed up, I gotta believe you are spot on. You would think the only reason Ross would be on such a short leash would be due to making a multitude of mistakes or his attitude at practice.  A guy with his kind of speed should be able to stretch the defense and take some pressure off AJ Green.  The fact that he cant even be a decoy like Chad Johnson in New England speaks volumes. 

I believe it's bc Lewis never wanted him on the team in the first place. He hasn't called out any other wrs to my knowledge.

Just now, Jpoore said:

It's Lewis not wanting to draft him and getting overruled and now he's punishing Ross for it. 

And Ken Zampese, and Bill Lazor, and Andy Dalton....

Easily better than Malone? Which of the 32 NFL teams do you work for? Have you been secretly watching practice and know this? Because it sure as hell doesn't look that way come Sunday.

So the assumption here is that Ross is a game-changing talent... But Marvin won't play him because.... Ummm, he wants to get fired? He wants Bill Lazor to never get a better coaching gig?

Peter Warrick had wheels and was considered a game changing talent back in the day. Drafted #4 overall. Never broke 1,000 yards for a season and lost his job to a 7th rounder who was just plain better. It happens. 

9 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Some people just live to shit on the Bengals.

It is kind of sad because there are plenty of legit reasons to complain about the Bengals, but some people strain as hard as they can to make up stuff to bitch and squeal about.

Don't take my remarks as shitting on the Bengals in this case.  If Ross were even ok he would be getting more playing time.  Guys like Caldwell, Sanu,  and Jones saw decent playing time as rookies and they were picked WAY down the draft chart compared to  Ross.  Ross at 90% is probably still faster than any of the 3 I just mentioned.  I am with you Fred, he isn't playing because the coaches are not impressed with something. 

yea.. for a while I thought it was ole marv being hard headed.. but there is no way that is the case now.

They have won some games now.. playoffs, his job and everything else is on the line now.. Ross just isn't healthy enough or something.

It just sucks seeing our #9 pick as a scratch every week

1 hour ago, turningpoint said:

It's pretty much this, why are people so concerned? Just think that he's sitting on IR. Dude aint ready, give him until next year. He's going to eventually tear it up but that will take some time. I don't really see how he can help this offense right now anyway.

Well, because he was handed a $10.6 million signing bonus and chosen #9  in the draft to fucking play, not redshirt because he can't figure out a playbook.  He has a guaranteed $17.1 mil contract for 4 years.  You don't pay someone that kind of money so they can chill out on the bench and try to figure out the X's and O's for 1 of those 4 years other than maybe a QB. 

Single digit draft picks are supposed to contribute somewhat.    

To put it in perspective I know an All-Pro  offensive tackle who was signed for $15 mil and for 3 years and I think he has played every down this season.  

54 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

I believe it's bc Lewis never wanted him on the team in the first place. He hasn't called out any other wrs to my knowledge.

I believe its because the guy couldn't even run a post pattern without stopping mid way, looking to the sideline and asking, "Am I supposed to keep running?"

Archived