What the heck is the real story about Ross?

Ok so here is the real story on Ross!

Marvin Lewis believes that the Bengals are going to squeak into the playoffs. Ross is our super secret top weapon! He plans on unveiling him during our Super Bowl appearance but not let him play - just being there will give us the presents of a Hugh win. I can't go into to much detail as the details are not clear to me - except to say that we may have a first round bust on our hands and Josh Malone appears to be the one stepping up! The verdict is still out!

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

And to think, drafting OJ Howard was dumb because we already had Eifert!

In defense of the Bengals, they spent their first 2 picks in 2105 on tackles.  For both of them to be substandard is almost like bad Voodoo.  Cedric has actually played better of late but still not first round pick good.

Next Monday will be a big game for him to prove to many he doesn't totally suck.  

Eifert should be in the prime of his career.  Hard to predict injuries.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

To put it in perspective I know an All-Pro  offensive tackle who was signed for $15 mil and for 3 years and I think he has played every down this season.  

I don't think you know what the term "put in perspective" means.

Whitworth....164 career NFL starts....3 years $35.8 million ($9.2 million cap hit)

Ross.............  0  career NFL starts....4 years $17 million ($3.1 million cap hit)

4 hours ago, fredtoast said:

It is kind of sad because there are plenty of legit reasons to complain about the Bengals, but some people strain as hard as they can to make up stuff to bitch and squeal about.

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

And to think, drafting OJ Howard was dumb because we already had Eifert!

Yes, if only we could see into the future when making draft picks.

BTW

Howard.......331 yds...4 td

Tyler Kroft...317 yds...5 td

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

I don't think you know what the term "put in perspective" means.

Whitworth....164 career NFL starts....3 years $35.8 million ($9.2 million cap hit)

Ross.............  0  career NFL starts....4 years $17 million ($3.1 million cap hit)

My point was when spending that kind of money, you expect the player to contribute.  The Rams paid a lot (overpaid) Whit to play right now.  We drafted Ross and paid him a lot to play.  Maybe not start at first but certainly work him in more each game as the season progressed.   Being a "Healthy" scratch last week is kind of embarrassing and certainly is sending a brutal message.

Remember,  the original comment was that, "Its not a big deal, just think of him (Ross) as being on IR."    It would be WAY better if he were on IR than what seems to be the case.  

Whit is only guaranteed $15 mil so they do have the ability to cut bait after next year with only a $1.6 mil cap hit.  Whit was brought in so Goff could be developed.  Paid a hefty price to do it but it seems to be working.   

Ross is guaranteed $17.1 mil and even in 2020 the cap hit would be $5.44mil if we cut him.  I just hope he pulls his head out of his ass.  Its a lot of cap space to be carrying for a guy who doesn't seem to have it together. 

25 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I just read something on ESPN that the browns aren't down on him. Course we've heard that kind of stuff before.

I am not sure what the Browns were expecting from him.  They have QB starting who has a 57 passer rating and Kenny Britt has been HORRIBLE.  Kizer is averaging 182 yards per game and they are usually playing catch-up which you would think would translate into more yards.   They simply can convert in the red zone.  Defense doesn't give up many yards but they give up a lot of points.   Who cares, its Cleveland.

Final comments on Ross....

People complaining about his lack of production this year.....Justified

People claiming he is a bust and the Bengals were stupid to draft him....Not justified.  Lots of great NFL players did very little their rookie seasons.

3 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Final comments on Ross....

People complaining about his lack of production this year.....Justified

People claiming he is a bust and the Bengals were stupid to draft him....Not justified.  Lots of great NFL players did very little their rookie seasons.

Hard to call someone a bust that I really haven't seen play.  My issue is if he is having an issue with learning plays (assumption) then what happens if Marvin leaves?  Gotta think a new coach (outside hire) is going to want to bring in his own OC which will mean a new playbook.  We saw what happened to Chad when he actually had to learn a new system in New England.  It didn't go well. 

I just hope the guy figures it out.  We can't keep having so many 1st round picks that end up being later round talent or hurt.  Our luck can't be that bad. 

At a minimum, it appears the front office and coaches didn't have the same level of enthusiasm for Ross' abilities.  It seems like the infatuation with his deep speed colored the rest of the evaluation.  There is more to the position than running fast, like staying healthy and learning an offense.  Hard for me to blame the coaches for Ross' struggles.

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

In defense of the Bengals, they spent their first 2 picks in 2105 on tackles. 

Damn dude, are you looking ahead to future playoff losses, or what? Can I borrow your time machine?

:lol:

38 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

At a minimum, it appears the front office and coaches didn't have the same level of enthusiasm for Ross' abilities.  It seems like the infatuation with his deep speed colored the rest of the evaluation.  There is more to the position than running fast, like staying healthy and learning an offense.  Hard for me to blame the coaches for Ross' struggles.

Then why draft him in the first place? I guess I just don't get it. I am CERTAIN that he could contribute on a limited basis, and that the coaches are punishing him for some odd reason. Just because you missed TC and aren't in awesome "football shape" doesn't mean you can't get on the field for a few plays a game. I'd rather run a reverse with Ross than with Lafell, for instance.

This coaching staff is fighting for their lives and it's doubtful they would not play someone they thought could help them win games.  Jobs are on the line and that has to trump any personal vendettas, IMO.  Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one.  Ross has been injured and struggled to get in shape and learn the playbook.  The coaches don't trust him to be in the right places and he's not playing as fast as expected.  Plus he doesn't play special teams.  Add it up and it's not hard to see why he has been inactive most weeks

11 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This coaching staff is fighting for their lives and it's doubtful they would not play someone they thought could help them win games.  Jobs are on the line and that has to trump any personal vendettas, IMO.  Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one.  Ross has been injured and struggled to get in shape and learn the playbook.  The coaches don't trust him to be in the right places and he's not playing as fast as expected.  Plus he doesn't play special teams.  Add it up and it's not hard to see why he has been inactive most weeks

This is the part that I don’t get. Why can’t he return kicks? I like Erickson, but Ross was a prolific returner in college.

then again, I don’t think Gio has returned a punt since arriving in 2013. All he did was win punt returner of the year in college in 2012.

i just hate seeing AB returning punts for his team, but the Bengals never seemed to want to risk putting Gio back there. 

12 hours ago, Hooky said:

Were you too busy doing the Highlights puzzles?

10 hours ago, schotzee said:

:24:

Not sure what you mean but in the pictures puzzle

The flag staff is longer

The guy's shirt tails are longer

The guy in the front row is wearing a different color shirt

And the sign on the top left of the stadium is smaller.

You'll have to buy the magazine to find the other six.

Spoiler Alert:  Most of the "Best ofs" are in OTR and Pleasant Ridge is the up and coming hipster community.

28 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

This is the part that I don’t get. Why can’t he return kicks? I like Erickson, but Ross was a prolific returner in college.

then again, I don’t think Gio has returned a punt since arriving in 2013. All he did was win punt returner of the year in college in 2012.

i just hate seeing AB returning punts for his team, but the Bengals never seemed to want to risk putting Gio back there. 

when Ross is healthy and knows what's going on...he will play.... 

our returners are fine....  

Mr. Jones had a return for a TD last week that was called back because of a meaningless hold (but it was a hold)

and Erickson is a beast too... 

Archived