What the heck is the real story about Ross?

26 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Its a failure by the Bengals no matter how you slice it. How can you possibly draft a guy at 9 without looking into his work ethic or intelligence?

But he runs super fast!  Like .05 seconds faster than most people*

*in a straight line

*unimpeded

*wearing shorts

= next Jerry Rice*

*Jerry Rice ran a 4.7

*could also learn routes & a playbook

*Didn't fumble every other time he touched the ball

13 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

And Ken Zampese, and Bill Lazor, and Andy Dalton....

Easily better than Malone? Which of the 32 NFL teams do you work for? Have you been secretly watching practice and know this? Because it sure as hell doesn't look that way come Sunday.

So the assumption here is that Ross is a game-changing talent... But Marvin won't play him because.... Ummm, he wants to get fired? He wants Bill Lazor to never get a better coaching gig?

Peter Warrick had wheels and was considered a game changing talent back in the day. Drafted #4 overall. Never broke 1,000 yards for a season and lost his job to a 7th rounder who was just plain better. It happens. 

No the assumption is that lewis isn't caring who he hurts and is whining bc he didn't get who he wanted instead of Ross. So he punished the player that he got overule into picking. Erickson has muffed quite a few punts this year but u don't call him out. and warrick wasn't the player that Ross is.

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

I believe its because the guy couldn't even run a post pattern without stopping mid way, looking to the sideline and asking, "Am I supposed to keep running?"

So he messed up one time and u don't give ur top 10 pick more playing time? News flash they're probably cutting laffell(I would) see if u have a receiver. U can't expect to put someone in for 4 snaps every 3 weeks and expect them to do well.(see Cody core). They need to get a feel. 

6 hours ago, Jpoore said:

So he messed up one time and u don't give ur top 10 pick more playing time? News flash they're probably cutting laffell(I would) see if u have a receiver. U can't expect to put someone in for 4 snaps every 3 weeks and expect them to do well.(see Cody core). They need to get a feel. 

It was one time that was obvious in a game.  Lord knows how many times it actually happens in games but more importantly practice.  Keep in mind, we are talking about a limited number of plays he needs to know. The most likely issue is he doesn't know what to do if Andy calls an audible.  The probable issue on that play  was that Andy saw no deep safety coverage so he audible a post to Ross who didnt know what to do.

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Its a failure by the Bengals no matter how you slice it. How can you possibly draft a guy at 9 without looking into his work ethic or intelligence?

It happens to every team in the league.  Even the best teams have first round picks that flop.

Sometimes individuals change when they go to the pros from college.  

7 hours ago, Jpoore said:

No the assumption is that lewis isn't caring who he hurts and is whining bc he didn't get who he wanted instead of Ross

The whole idea that coaches don't care about winning is just ridiculous.  They are 100% judged by how much they win and they have big egos.  No coach is going to make himself look bad by losing on purpose.

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

But he runs super fast!  Like .05 seconds faster than most people*

*in a straight line

*unimpeded

*wearing shorts

= next Jerry Rice*

*Jerry Rice ran a 4.7

*could also learn routes & a playbook

*Didn't fumble every other time he touched the ball

1.  They did not just draft Ross based on his speed.  go read a scouting report.

2.  Jerry Rice was much faster than the 4.7 he ran coming out of college.  He weighed over 210 at that time but played in the NFL at 195 or lighter.  Anyone who actually saw him play knows that he had great speed.  He could take a short slant route the distance as good as any receiver in the league.

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Or bad scouting.

usatsi_5735498__1_.0.jpg

Except he has been the O-line coach for well over 20 years and never had a single high draft pick flop.

Try to provide a list of other teams who have never had a high drafted O-lineman flop over that same period.  It is not as simpe as you think.

On 11/27/2017 at 8:31 PM, SF2 said:

Well, there really aren't many theories that make sense other than he is terrible in practice.  It is really the only thing that makes sense.  No reason to hide an injury.

yea.. heard things that hint at having a shitty attitude too, buuuut i cant remember from who or where or when....

so this is potentially most accurate...

though the practice woes may not be his fault, andy seems to overthrow aj green often.. no way john ross can even get his fingers on one of those passes.

oh i think it was this:

He will get emotional on the field ..... when their quarterback leaves an open deep ball short, and I've heard other scouts call it 'bad body language.' I just think he's an edgy player. He's competitive and shows it. You'll take some attitude when a guy scores as many touchdowns as he does"

so you know..

27 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

yea.. heard things that hint at having a shitty attitude too, buuuut i cant remember from who or where or when....

so this is potentially most accurate...

though the practice woes may not be his fault, andy seems to overthrow aj green often.. no way john ross can even get his fingers on one of those passes.

Meh, Andy overthrowing him would not be his fault.  I guess some guys don't know how to act after getting $17 mil in guaranteed money.

19 hours ago, Jpoore said:

No the assumption is that lewis isn't caring who he hurts and is whining bc he didn't get who he wanted instead of Ross. So he punished the player that he got overule into picking. Erickson has muffed quite a few punts this year but u don't call him out. and warrick wasn't the player that Ross is.

No. You're right. Warrick was a much, much better prospect.

3 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

No. You're right. Warrick was a much, much better prospect.

Two-time First Team All-American

Three-time First Team All-ACC

Two-time Biletnikoff finalist

Sugar Bowl MVP

207 career receptions

32 touchdown receptions (school record)

937 return yards

Warrick slid to #4 after being heavily favored to go to the Browns (#1) or Redskins (#2 & #3) if it hadn't been for a bad 40 time (4.6) he would have been the hands down #1 pick. Warrick was a Heisman favorite until he had an off-field problem.

Heck, this site has him as the 3rd worst combine performance in history (right above Andre "Moobs" Smith) and he STILL went #4.
http://www.bleacherreport.com/articles/1076061-the-10-most-damaging-nfl-scouting-combine-performances-of-all-time

Here's a scouting report from his Junior year:

Peter Warrick Florida State 6-0 190 
This junior will be the most complete receiver in the draft if he decides to come out a year early. He has above average speed, great first step acceleration & excellent quickness. He runs routes extremely well and has read defenses better than his quarterbacks this year. Warrick has great body control, can leap and adjust to make the dramatic, game changing catch. A big play athlete who can change the game with his hands, feet and even throwing the option. Obviously at Florida St., Warrick has gotten a lot of experience in a pro style offensive attack and should be ready to contribute at the pro level almost immediately.

That was before he led his team to a national championship as a senior and scored 20 points in the Sugar Bowl....

Only four players -- Penn State defensive standouts Courtney Brown and LaVar Arrington, Alabama offensive tackle Chris Samuels and Florida State wide receiver Peter Warrick -- are considered consensus can't-miss players.

John Ross wasn't even the best receiver in his draft class. The only thing comparable are the career ending knee injuries, and Warrick at least waited until he was already in the NFL  before acquiring those. If anything, I think Warrick would have had a much better career if the Bengals had an Andy Dalton back then instead of Scott Mitchell, Gus Ferotte, Akili Smith, and Jon Kittens. By the time we had a competent QB, Warrick was already (pun intended) on his last leg.

Seriously, if you don't know, don't act like you do. Nothing like having people trying to oversell you on a player to make you start finding his flaws. I met Peter Warrick, I watched Peter Warrick, and John Ross, sir, is no Peter Warrick. You want to start comparing John Ross to Peter Warrick, and it becomes stark how much less of a player he is picked only 5 spots later. The more I notice the lack of NFL readiness and the injury history. The more those little lines about his attitude and poor route running stand out.

Ross has been in 3 games and has yet to record a reception. He is being outplayed by a 4th round pick. Heck, looking over the first round... Was there a worse pick to be made? Jabril Peppers has been crap, but he's not a healthy scratch being outplayed by Alex "Undrafted CFA" Erickson. And all Erickson had to do was keep running on that same wheel route...

Thanks for taking a guy I halfway kinda liked and making me dislike him. Thanks for putting into perspective just how awful of a draft pick John Ross is. I'm guessing he understands the O's, but Sesame Street isn't doing the letter X until February... Of course, the way he fumbles, I'm guessing he watched all of the episodes on sharing.

8 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Two-time First Team All-American

Three-time First Team All-ACC

Two-time Biletnikoff finalist

Sugar Bowl MVP

207 career receptions

32 touchdown receptions (school record)

937 return yards

Warrick slid to #4 after being heavily favored to go to the Browns (#1) or Redskins (#2 & #3) if it hadn't been for a bad 40 time (4.6) he would have been the hands down #1 pick. Warrick was a Heisman favorite until he had an off-field problem.

Heck, this site has him as the 3rd worst combine performance in history (right above Andre "Moobs" Smith) and he STILL went #4.
http://www.bleacherreport.com/articles/1076061-the-10-most-damaging-nfl-scouting-combine-performances-of-all-time

Here's a scouting report from his Junior year:

That was before he led his team to a national championship as a senior and scored 20 points in the Sugar Bowl....

John Ross wasn't even the best receiver in his draft class. The only thing comparable are the career ending knee injuries, and Warrick at least waited until he was already in the NFL  before acquiring those. If anything, I think Warrick would have had a much better career if the Bengals had an Andy Dalton back then instead of Scott Mitchell, Gus Ferotte, Akili Smith, and Jon Kittens. By the time we had a competent QB, Warrick was already (pun intended) on his last leg.

Seriously, if you don't know, don't act like you do. Nothing like having people trying to oversell you on a player to make you start finding his flaws. I met Peter Warrick, I watched Peter Warrick, and John Ross, sir, is no Peter Warrick. You want to start comparing John Ross to Peter Warrick, and it becomes stark how much less of a player he is picked only 5 spots later. The more I notice the lack of NFL readiness and the injury history. The more those little lines about his attitude and poor route running stand out.

Ross has been in 3 games and has yet to record a reception. He is being outplayed by a 4th round pick. Heck, looking over the first round... Was there a worse pick to be made? Jabril Peppers has been crap, but he's not a healthy scratch being outplayed by Alex "Undrafted CFA" Erickson. And all Erickson had to do was keep running on that same wheel route...

Thanks for taking a guy I halfway kinda liked and making me dislike him. Thanks for putting into perspective just how awful of a draft pick John Ross is. I'm guessing he understands the O's, but Sesame Street isn't doing the letter X until February... Of course, the way he fumbles, I'm guessing he watched all of the episodes on sharing.

knocked that shit out of the park...

debate (if it was one) over

P-Dub was awesome..was the only thing to look forward to for a long time. One of my favorite memories of him was he returned a punt to the house against Jacksonville. and in my memory (but probably less) like a foot of snow..and it was so cold that day. I remember our beers freezing at the top if you let them sit too long..

It was so much fun going to the games then..even though we sucked... maybe because I was 17 years younger..lol.. I think that game was the first year at PBS 

We won like 17-13 or something.. one of like 4 wins that year 

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

knocked that shit out of the park...

debate (if it was one) over

P-Dub was awesome..was the only thing to look forward to for a long time. One of my favorite memories of him was he returned a punt to the house against Jacksonville. and in my memory (but probably less) like a foot of snow..and it was so cold that day. I remember our beers freezing at the top if you let them sit too long..

It was so much fun going to the games then..even though we sucked... maybe because I was 17 years younger..lol.. I think that game was the first year at PBS 

We won like 17-13 or something.. one of like 4 wins that year 

The fact that someone would compare a guy who hasn't caught a pass to a guy who was a damn good player until he got hurt is laughable.  Worse, since the only legit comparison one can make is college the cold hard fact was P-Dub was by far the better player. 

That is like saying Christian Hackenberg 2nd round QB choice of the Jets last year is better than Andy Dalton because,..  Dude hasn't even thrown a pass in a game in 2 years and plays for a SHIT team.  Maybe the Jets coaches just didn't want to pick him and are sitting him even though he is better than Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith (2016) or 38 year old Josh McCown this year.  Or maybe the guy isn't NFL starter quality. 

Its like saying Leonard Fournette is a better running back than Bo Jackson or Billy Sims were.   

I totally agree with you, P-Dub was awesome before he got hurt and a good dude as well.  Met him a few times at Bengals events and he was a great guy.

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The fact that someone would compare a guy who hasn't caught a pass to a guy who was a damn good player until he got hurt is laughable.  Worse, since the only legit comparison you can make is college the cold hard fact was P-Dub was by far the better player. 

That is like saying Christian Hackenberg 2nd round QB choice of the Jets last year is better than Andy Dalton because,..  Dude hasn't even thrown a pass in a game in 2 years and plays for a SHIT team.  Maybe the Jets coaches just didn't want to pick him and are sitting him even though he is better than Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith (2016) or 38 year old Josh McCown this year.  Or maybe the guy isn't NFL starter quality. 

lol.. I feel like you are yelling at me.. and  I agreed

I remember Peter Warrick coming back only a few weeks after a knee scope to try to help the Bengals make the playoffs.  He was never the same.  I still feel like he screwed his career to try to help his team.  It was a bad move, but I'lll always love him for it.  One of my favorite players.

Archived