"Questionable" calls ...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/11/27/cincinnati-bengals-notes-vontaze-burfict-flag-unfortunate-legal-play/899695001/

Cincinnati Bengals notes: Vontaze Burfict flag 'unfortunate, a legal play'

Paul Dehner Jr., pdehnerjr@enquirer.comPublished 6:10 p.m. ET Nov. 27, 2017

Enquirer beat writers Paul Dehner Jr. and Jim Owczarski wrap up the Bengals 30-16 win over the Cleveland Browns. (Sam Greene/The Enquirer) The Enquirer/Sam Green

Notebook looking at two questionable calls from Sunday's game against Cleveland and continued progress in pass protection from the offensive line.

Another week, another exercise in sifting through the aftermath of a flag thrown against Vontaze Burfict.

This time reaction came from a personal foul for a hit against a defenseless receiver called on the fourth play of Sunday’s game against Cleveland.

The often fined and often targeted Bengals linebacker was hit with another undeserved flag, at least in the eyes of his head coach.

“It was a legal play,” Marvin Lewis said.

The NFL backed up his contention at least partially by declaring Burfict would not be suspended for the play. He is still subject to fines through the league policy. Those traditionally leak out on Friday afternoon.

Burfict has a history with the league particularly in this area. He was hit with a five-game suspension reduced to three games for a preseason hit on a defenseless receiver in Kansas City on fullback Anthony Sherman and a hit on Maxx Williams in the 2015 finale looped into an eventual three-game suspension for the first three games of 2016.

For him to not be suspended for this, basically says the league doesn’t see this as an egregious act. Defensive coordinator Paul Guenther put it another way.

“It was a bad call,” he said, admitting they turned the tape in to the officials after the game. “It was a bad call. He hits him with the shoulder, he’s underneath five yards. It’s a shame that it happened. It wasn’t a shot across the head, it wasn’t anything intentional or malicious or anything like that. Just normal football.”

Burfict approached Corey Coleman running a crossing pattern away from the pocket three yards in front of the line of scrimmage and hit him in the shoulder, knocking him back. For that to be an illegal play the quarterback has to either be out of the pocket, throwing the ball in another direction or a hit to the helmet.

“It’s unfortunate, though,” Lewis said. “The guy is running at four (yards), sees Vontaze and alters to three, Vontaze hits him with shoulder on the shoulder. The quarterback is in the pocket, the quarterback then left the pocket. Whether the guy deemed that, I don’t know. It’s unfortunate to have that penalty because that led to the field position from there.”

****  If you click on the link to the article there is a video clip of the hit.  I could not get it to embed.  Burdock hits the Clown shoulder to shoulder and the Clown whines his way into a flag.

Prior to the 2016 season an amendment was placed on the rule to assure the receiver has protection to not be hit in the head or by a head in the neck and shoulder area when running pattern.

“Which he doesn’t do,” Lewis said.

This comes on the heels of no suspension or fine being issued for being ejected on a flag for contacting an official in Tennessee prior to halftime. Burfict’s reputation is earned and backed up with his six suspended games in the past two seasons, but the target on his back has been larger than ever this season.  :39:

As for ways to address potential unfair targeting after the season, Lewis didn’t want to go into specific detail but suggested with a smile there are avenues.

“I think there is, probably, likely,” he said.

CALLS, PART 2:

Adam Jones looked to have one of the most memorable plays of his 11-year career on Sunday when he returned a punt 51 yards for a touchdown and mimicked the birth of a baby as a celebration in the end zone. It came one day after the birth of a new baby boy.

The return was called back by a flag on rookie Cethan Carter for a block in the back. Lewis didn’t agree with that call a day later, either.

“I don’t think it’s a block in the back at all, unfortunately,” Lewis said, admitting feeling sorry for Jones on a big personal day for him losing the luster of that special moment.

The coach went a step further to point out Carter took an unfair hit as well.

“Cethan was so productive throughout the day on special teams and it’s a shame that kind of clouded it yesterday,” Lewis said.

Getting fed up with the "He's going to get questionable calls because of his history" horse shit. History shouldn't be a factor on penalties. This is really going to fuck the bemgals hard. Again. Probably during MNF. It's profiling. Plain and simple.

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

Getting fed up with the "He's going to get questionable calls because of his history" horse shit. History shouldn't be a factor on penalties. This is really going to fuck the bemgals hard. Again. Probably during MNF. It's profiling. Plain and simple.

Especially since the word is out that he can be baited into doing something stupid.

51 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Especially since the word is out that he can be baited into doing something stupid.

Being baited into doing something stupid is on Burfict.  I will not defend him for that.  Even if he gets an "unfair" call against him he has to accept it and move on.

But something has to be done about officials picking on Burfict with these bullshit calls.  I have a feeling it will happen for sure against the Stealers.

59 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

that's been happening for 3 years..

even if it's just getting pushed or pushed back down after every play.. just little shit that builds up....

can't wait to see what the dirtbags ( stealers and refs ) have in store for him on Monday night.. he will probably be kicked out of the game by the 2nd quarter

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Being baited into doing something stupid is on Burfict.  I will not defend him for that.  Even if he gets an "unfair" call against him he has to accept it and move on.

But something has to be done about officials picking on Burfict with these bullshit calls.  I have a feeling it will happen for sure against the Stealers.

2 hours ago, fluhartz said:

that's been happening for 3 years..

even if it's just getting pushed or pushed back down after every play.. just little shit that builds up....

can't wait to see what the dirtbags ( stealers and refs ) have in store for him on Monday night.. he will probably be kicked out of the game by the 2nd quarter

Could not agree with you both more.

Weather is temps in the mid 40's, 40% chance of rain.

The late start gives the Squeeler fans about seven more hours of drinking time.

I have seen Squeels carried IN to the stadium to drunk to walk before the game.

This one is going to be a thriller!

9 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Could not agree with you both more.

Weather is temps in the mid 40's, 40% chance of rain.

The late start gives the Squeeler fans about seven more hours of drinking time.

I have seen Squeels carried IN to the stadium to drunk to walk before the game.

This one is going to be a thriller!

Wish i could be there - glad I'm not! Thats how i feel about this game - LOL

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Agree. He knows the other team will try and bait him so he has to keep cool.  Don't hit anyone out of bounds, touch a ref, or kill Big Jen.  If he could just accomplish just 2 out 3 that would be a good start.

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Agree. He knows the other team will try and bait him so he has to keep cool.  Don't hit anyone out of bounds, touch a ref, or kill Big Jen.  If he could just accomplish 2 out 3 that would be good.

killing Big Jen is ok with me - as long as this time he doesn't come back into the game.

Gotta love how "it was a bad call" is always followed by "but he deserves it!"

That's not how it works. He either committed a foul or he didn't. You don't get penalized 15 yards for what you did 2 years ago.

Burfict is paying for the NFL's concussion lawsuit.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

As Lofton said after the flag was thrown, Burfict was penalized for being bigger than the guy he hit. 

And it was almost identical to what he got suspended for in pre-season. There actually might've been more contact this time. But it's not a suspendable offense now. I am still amazed that he originally got 5 games for basically doing his job. A hit that the announcers and league would be ejaculating over if it was TJ Twatt.

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

And it was almost identical to what he got suspended for in pre-season. There actually might've been more contact this time. But it's not a suspendable offense now. I am still amazed that he originally got 5 games for basically doing his job. A hit that the announcers and league would be ejaculating over if it was TJ Twatt.

" You had better pay attention if you are playing against a guy like TJ Watt!! I love the way he plays,,and he helped the hurricane victims."

"What a cheapshot by the dirtiest player in football, Vontaze Burfict.  He needs to be suspended for life,..and he hates kittens."

Archived