Pick Plays

Just watching the Sunday night game and saw what I've seen a lot of this year....a pick play - where one receiver sets a pick for another (generally in a crossing route).

Educate me - I thought these were illegal plays in football. I recall the Bengals being burnt by this quite a few times this year.

Am I nuts?

4 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

Just watching the Sunday night game and saw what I've seen a lot of this year....a pick play - where one receiver sets a pick for another (generally in a crossing route).

Educate me - I thought these were illegal plays in football. I recall the Bengals being burnt by this quite a few times this year.

Am I nuts?

Hines Ward made a career out of them

12 hours ago, HOF dan said:

Am I nuts?

If I stand still and you run into me, it's not a pick. If I'm in the normal course of my route, it's not a pick.

The only time "pick" plays will be called is when the offending player is judged to have moved into the path of the defender for the express purposes of setting a pick. Same as basketball's "moving pick" rule with the acknowledgement that WR's are always going to be moving when the pick happens. 

If you're running a shallow route, see the LB and turn upfield to obstruct his path, it's a pick. If the LB moves downfield and makes contact with you, it isn't.

Yeah the Patriots really exploited the crap out of the rule so it's been enforced a bit more in past years, but teams are now using it more too. One trick is for the receiver to see the defender's path then not actually try to cut him off but encourage him to go over the top of you (thus leaving the shallow crossing route open) by turning back to the QB and pretending like you're settling in a zone.

I think this is one of the reasons why the Bengals switched from a primarily man coverage scheme to primarily zone. Part of it might also be Zimmer's preferences compared to Guenther.

Archived