To toke or not to toke?

Ron~Popeil

It so happens that my state of PA will be starting its medicinal marijuana program in 2018. I have relapse/remitting multiple sclerosis which is a qualifying condition. I have never tried it but am curious as to whether or not it would actually be worth the hoops to get my card ($200 and a 3 hour round trip drive to a doctor in Pittsburgh.) Has anyone in other medicinal states used it for pain management or nerve disorders?

My father died of agent orange related Parkinsons' disease last year and never used it because my mother was worried about how it might affect his VA benefits. I kind of think it might have made his last years more bearable for him. 

I have worked at home as a currency trader since the diagnosis in 2014 so no employer drug test concerns to speak of. I am a libertarian so I don't really care about the politics of it, I just wonder if the benefit would be worth the expense and travel. I am okay to travel most of the time but it is difficult when I am in relapse mode.  

Any politics free advice would be welcome. 

When they first started making a big deal about "medical marijuana" I thought it was all bullshit because they claimed it could be used to treat anything and everything.  People were just getting their cards to get high.

But now it is clear that some chemicals in marijuana have legitimate medicinal value mainly in treating seizures in children.  There is also a lot of research on its effects on cancer cells.

I used to smoke a lot of weed.  I never felt it had any effect as a pain reliever.  That is all I can tell you.  There is tons of information out there, just be careful of the source.  If they claim it treats everything then they are probably just a bunch of stoners. 

• 2 months later...

Archived