Browns fire head of personnel Sashi Brown; coach Hue Jackson to stay

Montana Bengal

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21699936/cleveland-browns-fire-personnel-czar-sashi-brown

The Cleveland Browns fired executive vice president Sashi Brown, the man who headed Cleveland's personnel department the past two years, league sources told ESPN.

Head coach Hue Jackson will remain on the job and the expectation is that he will return for the 2018 season, though whoever Cleveland hires as its new general manager also will have a say.

But for now, ownership plans to retain Jackson, as ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported last month.

The Browns declined comment at this time.

Cleveland immediately will begin its official search for a new general manager, its ninth general manager since the franchise returned to its city in 1999, though it quietly has been inquiring about others around the league for weeks now, per sources.

Brown will leave a Cleveland team that traded away the picks that became Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson, but also an organization that has stockpiled picks for future drafts and created more salary-cap space than any team in the league.

This team actually is well positioned for future years, many NFL executives have noted recently. Whoever takes over inherits some of the riches that Brown helped build.

The Browns have six extra picks in April's draft -- an extra first-, two extra second-round picks, an extra fourth-round pick, an extra fifth-round pick. Right now, the Browns also have $59.25 million cap space this year that they can roll over into next year, when they already are scheduled to have another $38.6 million of room, giving them almost $100 million in salary cap space.

The team also failed to execute a trade for Cincinnati Bengals quarterback A.J. McCarron seconds before the NFL's Oct. 31 trade deadline, when the proper paperwork did not get processed, and a trade that looked like it was going through abruptly fell apart.

Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam are expected to interview GM candidates as early as this week, per sources, though they also already could have spoken with former NFL general managers Dave Gettleman, John Dorsey and Scot McCloughan without any permission or any restrictions.

Today's shakeup continues a run that has made Cleveland the NFL's most unstable franchise. Since returning to Cleveland, the Browns had had eight different general managers -- Brown, Ray Farmer, Michael Lombardi, Tom Heckert, George Kokinis, Phil Savage, Butch Davis and Dwight Clark. It also has employed longtime executives Paul DePodesta, Joe Banner, Mike Holmgren and Mike Keenan.

The Browns also have had nine head coaches since 1999, tied for 4th-most in the NFL. The Bills, Dolphins and Raiders have all had 10. But Jackson, at least for the time being, is staying on.

Thanks for posting.

Feel bad for the guy but how could you trust your team to a guy with a name that sounds like a small, yippy dog old ladies trundle around the retirement center.

And Thank God Hue is a Brown for one more year because it takes him off the board as our head coach if Marvin goes.

However, it could encourage MikeandKatie to keep the Marvster another season waiting for Hue.

Any bets on Sashi the Peek-a-Poop is the one who didn't get the paperwork to the NFL inner sanctum in time to get McCarron in the trade?  I would say a good possibility.  Or he's the scapegoat, anyway.

I also wonder what Hue will do with a new guy in charge of personnel and all those high draft choices.

Not impossible it spells T right here in River City.

WAIT A MINUTE ...  Stop the presses ...

Eeenie Meenie Gold Star Chili Beanie

The spirits are about to SPEAK... 

Marvin goes to Cleveland as the head of their personnel department.

Good reason they kept Marv's good buddy, Hue.

A lot of people on here think Marv is an excellent personnel guy

and this would be a good fit with all those high draft choices

especially if he takes McCarron with him.

Could be interesting and ironic when Marvin gets his first playoff win

and it isn't with the Bengals.

no :ninja:

26 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I can't imagine Marvin doing that to Mike but anything is possible.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Any bets on Sashi the Peek-a-Poop is the one who didn't get the paperwork to the NFL inner sanctum in time to get McCarron in the trade?  I would say a good possibility.  Or he's the scapegoat, anyway.

IIRC they said it was our fault, so I'd call that a good guess.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

dontlaugh.gif

New GM throws entire team under a bus.

John Dorsey took a shot at Sashi Brown on Thursday, saying the former head of football operations failed to provide coach Hue Jackson players he could win with.

"You know what? You gotta get a guy like that players. And you know what, I'll come straight out with it, the guys who were here before and that system, they didn't get real players," Dorsey said in an interview with ESPN Cleveland Radio.

"I think as Bill Parcells would always say, you are your record. [The Browns are 0-13.] And you know what, there it is. That's the truth teller in this whole thing".

I know the Browns are awful, and they are, but talk about "well thanks for nothing, fucker". To say (unintentionally I hope) your entire team isn't made up of real players just to spit on a guy who's already lost his job is a bit much.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived