Bears Bengals Good Bad Ugly and Uglier...

I added an extra category to the good, bad, and ugly.   Uglier.

Good:  We're one more game closer to the end of the season clearing house. 

Bad:  A 3 - 9 team handed us our asses.  Brady Quinn... 

Ugly:  Lack of spirit and a constant WTF signalling with the players hands after an obvious whiff. 

Uglier:  Lack of half time adjustments for the umpteenth time. 

1 minute ago, Cricket said:

Uglier: that this thread can justifiably start with ten minutes left in the game.

I honestly felt like the game was over at the end of the 1st half.  I don't mean because of the score either, just overall done with it like it'd been on for hours already.

3 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Our best player looked like he's given up and totally sucked.

Our less than good players looked even worse.

Fuck this season. I remember seeing more fight in some of our 3-5 win teams years ago.

Best player today was Gio. He may have been the only one that didn't mail it in.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

Our best player looked like he's given up and totally sucked.

Our less than good players looked even worse.

Fuck this season. I remember seeing more fight in some of our 3-5 win teams years ago.

this..

AJ was a fucking bum today

most others just suck

this team is on vacation with 3 games to go..

5-11 is coming

If they resign ole marv I might really really really just give up and quit watching this fucking team..

hey.. the Browns just lost...lol

The Bears know a thing or two about sucking.... here were the top 5 takeways - quarter-by-quarter - for today's suckfest, as blogged by the Sun-Times:

Linky: https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/early-takeaways-from-bears-bengals/

First Quarter:

1. Second-year safety Deon Bush was active after sitting out last week with an ankle injury, but veteran Chris Prosinski started his second game in a row since being signed on Nov. 30. It’s just another reminder that Fox and his staff are concerned more about wins than developing young players for the future.

2. Bush later replaced Prosinski in the first quarter. He was in coverage when receiver Brandon LaFell scored a 14-yard touchdown, though it could have been the result of a miscommunication in the secondary.

3. The Bengals are bad … and banged up. Five starters were out: linebackers Nick Vigil and Vontaze Burfict, cornerbacks Drew Kirkpatrick and Adam Jones (placed on injured reserve on Saturday) and safety Shawn Williams. Defensive tackle Ryan Glasgow started in place of star Geno Atkins (toe), too. So the Bears should have been be able to run the ball like they did with Howard (21-yard touchdown in first quarter) and Cohen on their first drive.

4. Nugent missed an extra point. The curse of Robbie Gould lives on. (The Bengals cut Nugent last year after his missed six point-after attempts.)

5. The apathy for the Bears in Chicago is real. And the same apparently can be said about the Bengals in Cincinnati. I took this picture several minutes before kickoff:

DQtBJ0NXUAAS_I0.jpg

Where is everybody?

Second Quarter:

1. Penalties continued to mar the Bears’ offensive success. Just ask Cohen. He had a 15-yard touchdown reception wiped out by backup guard Tom Compton’s illegal block. Against the 49ers last week, Cohen had a 67-yard punt return and 22-yard reception negated by penalties.

2. Case in point, again: Trubisky completed a 22-yard pass to Wright to reach the Bengals’ 19. But a holding penalty was called on guard Josh Sitton.

3. The Bengals might be bad and banged up — see above — but Trubisky’s success during a long drive that started on the Bears’ 5 still is important. He spread the ball around and overcame the aforementioned penalties. The Bears settled for a 27-yard field goal by Mike Nugent, but the Bears’ drive consisted of 15 plays for 86 yards and four first downs. They held the ball for eight minutes, 11 seconds. That’s impressive regardless of the opponent.

4. Shaheen was a big part of that drive, too. He didn’t catch a contested pass in the end zone on third down, but he had three catches for 43 yards in the first half.

5. It’s OK if the Bears attempted a Hail Mary to end the first half, but let’s limit the hits that Trubisky takes — particularly ones in the head — in fleeting moments.

Third Quarter:

1. Trubisky’s 19-yard completion to tight end Dion Sims down to the Bengals’ 14 stood out. Trubisky had Bengals safety Josh Shaw barreling down at him and still got a strong throw off while on the move. It was a big-time throw — one of several highlights during a big day for the rookie.

2. Slot receiver Kendall Wright (10 catches, 107 yards) and the Bears’ tight ends couldn’t be stopped. Trubisky excelled with their help. Wright has quietly put together a decent season, considering how low expectations were for him coming in.

3. The Bengals are bad.

4. Quarterback Andy Dalton is bad.

5. Bears offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains’ game plan? Not so bad. It was pretty good, actually. He exploited matchups, got Trubisky on the move and got the ball in the hands of Shaheen and Cohen.

Fourth Quarter:

1. Rookie quarterback Mitch Trubisky (25-for-32, 271 yards, one-yard touchdown pass, four-yard touchdown run) needed this win. It might not matter much to some fans, but it deeply mattered to him. Trubisky’s resolve never was shaken during the Bears’ five-game losing streak, but he needed results. He was the Bears’ best player against the Bengals, who were missing five starters on defense (see above). Trubisky’s effectiveness as a passer seemingly opened things up for running back Jordan Howard (23 carries, 147 yards, two touchdowns).

2. Want development? The Bears’ entire rookie class played well on Sunday:

— Safety Eddie Jackson had an interception and also forced and recovered a fumble by star receiver A.J. Green.

— Tight end Adam Shaheen had four catches for 44 yards and a touchdown.

— Running back Tarik Cohen ran for 80 yards on 12 carries. He also had a 15-yard touchdown reception overturned in the first half.

3. The Bears’ defense played well, especially with injuries sidelining outside linebacker Pernell McPhee, defensive lineman Eddie Goldman and safety Adrian Amos.

4. The Bengals’ offense also showed why they were ranked 31st in total yards and 30th in rushing heading into the game. They were bad (as we also stated above earlier in the game).

5. The win was great for Trubisky … but coach John Fox? He needs to win out to really change his hot-seat narrative. A 33-7 win against the downtrodden Bengals was good, but it shouldn’t be overvalued during a 4-9 season.

The Good ...

Easiest drive home after a game EVER.

Maybe the Andy Dalton debate is now over.  Quarterback becomes a 2nd or 3rd round choice and we can end this debacle.

The Bad ...

Say it ain't so, Shoeless A.J.

The Ugly ...

The post game star of the game interview was with Mike Nugent.

Lots of others ...

8 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

If Green needs some kind of surgery I suggest he get it done now.  No point getting injured.  Root canal, ingrown toenail, wart removal?  Doesn’t matter.  Get it done. Anything to drive the final nails in Marv’s coffin. 

Love AJ & don't know how much was Dalton, but looked like he needed a Rectocraniotomy today.

9 hours ago, High School Harry said:

The Good ...

Easiest drive home after a game EVER.

Maybe the Andy Dalton debate is now over.  Quarterback becomes a 2nd or 3rd round choice and we can end this debacle.

The Bad ...

Say it ain't so, Shoeless A.J.

The Ugly ...

The post game star of the game interview was with Mike Nugent.

Lots of others ...

I don't know if this is the game to say that. A.J. Green is better at his position than Dalton is, but Green was waaaaay worse yesterday, not to mention the level of dog shit the defense played like. Can't really pin this loss on Andy regardless of him not looking sharp himself.

I'll say that a better QB could easily turn some of our L's to W's, but not that game. There's no QB in the universe that could have won us the game yesterday with no other changes made.

8 hours ago, snarkster said:

Love AJ & don't know how much was Dalton, but looked like he needed a Rectocraniotomy today.

Not defending Dalton but can't blame this one on him.

I think this one led to an interception.

A.J. had a horrible day and perhaps the worse I have ever seen him perform.

636485147224609874-121017-BENGALS-257-1.jpg

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

I don't know if this is the game to say that. A.J. Green is better at his position than Dalton is, but Green was waaaaay worse yesterday, not to mention the level of dog shit the defense played like. Can't really pin this loss on Andy regardless of him not looking sharp himself.

I'll say that a better QB could easily turn some of our L's to W's, but not that game. There's no QB in the universe that could have won us the game yesterday with no other changes made.

I don't disagree at all but Andy is erratic.  The Good Andy v Bad Andy debate.  He isn't consistent and dependable.  Good teams and quarterbacks tend to pick their teams up and come from behind, pull games out. (I have a good example of one who won the Sunday night game and beat us the week before the same way).  Andy panics and goes belly up.  He is the poster boy for being a mediocre quarterback, a product and clone of the coach.

Archived