Marvin: Not My Responsibility

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/12/12/16765402/marvin-lewis-not-my-responsibility-bengals-motivated-nfl-football-2017

Marvin Lewis says it’s “not my responsibility” to get Bengals motivated to play

Marvin Lewis also managed to blame the refs for killing his team’s mojo. 

By Jason Marcum@marcum89  Dec 12, 2017, 7:00am EST

Another day, another edition of ‘Marvin Lewis says the darndest things.’ 

This time, it’s a comment Lewis made during his Monday meeting with the media. The topic of discussion was the energy, or lack thereof, in the Bengals’ Sunday loss to the Chicago Bears.

While the Bengals were depleted on defense, that was no excuse to allow an equally-depleted Bears team to run through them at home, totaling more than 500 yards on offense and more than 30 points for the first time all year.

But don’t tell Lewis, the head coach, that it’s his job to keep his team motivated. When asked the Bengals missing the playoffs for the second year in a row, Lewis made one of the dumbest comments in his 15 years as head coach of the Bengals, and that’s saying something. 

“Well, you don’t want this. I don’t think anybody does,” Lewis said. “These guys have a lot to play for, and it’s not my responsibility to get them — as I said — to turn up the music. (We’ve got to) figure out a way to get momentum going and put good football plays together. If we got young guys in there, they’re going to have to grow up in a hurry, because we are going to play three good football teams.”

Oh, but it gets better. Lewis then turned blamed toward the referees for a bad spot on the Bengals’ first drive, which required Lewis to go out of his way to throw a challenge flag. And while he won the challenge, that delay caused by a missed call killed the Bengals’ energy on that drive.

“It started with the first third down of the game, where I’ve got to challenge a play because we can’t even get it right from the officials (smiles). So I got to waste a challenge there — it kills what was a good play and now we got to go back.”

It really wasn’t a wasted challenge at all, since the Bengals won and the challenge positively impacted them.

A prominent theme with the Bengals  Marvin (HSH) for the past several years has been excuse-making and blaming others. It’s someone else’s fault the Bengals choked away that 2016 Wild Card loss to Pittsburgh, and it’s someone else’s fault when Vontaze Burfict can’t control himself on the field, and it’s someone else’s fault when Adam Jones can’t control himself off of it. Why can’t the Bengals find motivation to perform, and why can’t they get over the playoff hump? Well, you’d think those things would be on the head coach, but it sounds like he feels differently.

After 15 years of excuses, this should be the last one Lewis is allowed to make.

Funny, but I don't remember the Bengals claiming it was someone elses fault when they lost the 2016 playoff game.  Or that it was someone elses fault when Pac got in trouble off the field.

I do remember 100% of the fans blaming the Pittsburgh coaches on the field and the officials for letting it happen, but not the Bengals.

And even though Adam Jones has been the victim of bogus charges that ended up being dismissed when invetsigated byt he District Attorney Marvin has still said that Pac had to control himself better off the field.

Clearly the Bengals have played like shit the last coiuple of years.  I feel that some of the blame is on the coaches and some of the blame is on the players.  But I have not seen as much "finger pointing" as Marcum claims.  Many fans have complained about the officials and an NFL bias, but other than the target on Burfict I have not heard Marvin or the Bengals blame the league.

If Marvin complaining about an officials call is "finger pointing" then I thin every coach in the league does that to some extent.

It's not his responsibility to get the players motivated. He doesn't make in game adjustments because that's journalistic jargon. He's overridden on draft picks, free agents, and re-signings.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo

What does Marvin do? Some of these are Mike Brown problems and not Marv, but dude, it's absolutely your fucking job to make adjustments and get the players ready to go. I try to give Marvin the benefit of the doubt on some stuff, but if I fuck up my job over and over it's going to fall on my boss at some point if he doesn't do anything about it. If he replaces me with a moron that fucks up even more that's going to fall on him too. That's usually how it works with at least 25-30 other NFL teams too. Maybe even all other 31.

That is the most horribly written article I have seen in a long time. I won't comment on the content because it doesn't matter what Marvin does. We are stuck with him.

Back to the writing, he was saying that it wasn't a wasted challenge because Marvin won it. That was really stupid. Coaches are limited on challenges and when they have to use one to correct a bad call, that is a waste of a challenge. I think the rule is that if you win both challenges, you get a third. But I think you should only be limited by two lost challenges. So if the refs continue to make bad calls, you can challenge until you lose two. I don't see why a coach should be charged for a challenge if he got it right. For that to not slow down the games, they need to speed up the challenges. It shouldn't take long to find something conclusive. If it's not obvious, move on.

As far as challenge flags and whatnot go, I'd really like to see PI being able to go under review. It would still be subjective but at least they could get a better look at it that way. I feel like refs aren't always in position to make the best call or they think they see something that's not there at times. If a dude trips and you're trying to watch the players' hands, you may miss that feet got tied up inadvertently instead of something intentional. Some of those 50 yard bomb DPI calls are flat out absurd and drastically change the outcome of a lot of football games.

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

It's not his responsibility to get the players motivated. He doesn't make in game adjustments because that's journalistic jargon. He's overridden on draft picks, free agents, and re-signings.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo

What does Marvin do? Some of these are Mike Brown problems and not Marv, but dude, it's absolutely your fucking job to make adjustments and get the players ready to go. I try to give Marvin the benefit of the doubt on some stuff, but if I fuck up my job over and over it's going to fall on my boss at some point if he doesn't do anything about it. If he replaces me with a moron that fucks up even more that's going to fall on him too. That's usually how it works with at least 25-30 other NFL teams too. Maybe even all other 31.

Very few NFL head coaches are cheerleaders to be honest.  Look at the better teams and its the offensive and defensive captains along with individual position coaches that do most of the rah rah stuff.  Sure, ever once in awhile you gotta step up and last week was the time to do it when it was obvious the team was drifting off into the abyss.

I will actually side with Marvin on being overridden on draft picks, FA and re-signings as a significant issue as well.   The one time that really sticks out was the Chris Henry saga.   Overriding Marvin was a horrible move.  My guess is he didn't want Whit or Zeitler gone, that is a no brainer.  He isn't stupid and understands the economics but losing both was ridiculous.   We didn't need a WR at 9.  Even if Ross was producing at a typical rookie level, we have WAY more pressing needs.  All you need to do is look at the UFA list for our team in 2019.  We will have some serious spots to fill due to FA.  Decent WRs are not that hard to find in the draft.     http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/cincinnati-bengals/

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Very few NFL head coaches are cheerleaders to be honest.  Look at the better teams and its the offensive and defensive captains along with individual position coaches that do most of the rah rah stuff.  Sure, ever once in awhile you gotta step up and last week was the time to do it when it was obvious the team was drifting off into the abyss.

I will actually side with Marvin on being overridden on draft picks, FA and re-signings as a significant issue as well.   The one time that really sticks out was the Chris Henry saga.   Overriding Marvin was a horrible move.  My guess is he didn't want Whit or Zeitler gone, that is a no brainer.  He isn't stupid and understands the economics but losing both was ridiculous.   We didn't need a WR at 9.  Even if Ross was producing at a typical rookie level, we have WAY more pressing needs.  All you need to do is look at the UFA list for our team in 2019.  We will have some serious spots to fill due to FA.  Decent WRs are not that hard to find in the draft.     http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/cincinnati-bengals/

Yeah same with QBs, that's why I think people are silly that get super upset with Andy and call him a big ol' pussy because he isn't always screaming at his WRs and OL. Some of the greatest QBs of all time were pretty passive dudes on the field and sidelines. I don't think it makes Marvin a shit coach because he isn't bitching at the players, but I'd personally like to see him yell at the refs and get fired up after a bad call occasionally. I don't think he sucks for not doing it, just something I would have liked to see from him.

A lot of Marvin's issues are Mike Brown issues. Just like a lot of the player issues are OC issues which fall onto being HC issues. Gotta take some responsibility when the team sucks and it seems like Marvin has been making more excuses lately than he has owning up to not putting a good enough product on the field. We know Mike Brown isn't going to so it would be nice to see Marvin not act like a pompous douche at some point. I don't know, I actually think Marvin Lewis is a good NFL head coach, but I've seen him long enough with nothing outside of regular season success so time is up. Will another HC do better here? Probably not. I don't know why I remain a Bengals fan while Mike Brown is still in charge, but it's something I choose to put myself through.

As far as Ross and free agency goes, I really hated the Ross pick and we're going to see more of the same whether Marvin is here or not, just something we all have to accept I suppose. A lot of WRs can put up numbers in the right scheme and/or with the right QB/OL, also just increasing targets to a pretty good WR can give him great numbers. I'd like to see a new OC come in with the new HC and hopefully get our passing game looking more like 2015 than 2017. Sanu and MLJ are definitely good receivers but losing a great OC and 2 great linemen are harder to replace than a couple of good WRs. I'd wager that LaFell/Boyd/Malone would have had pretty damn nice statsheets if they were on the 2015 Bengals. I definitely agree with your point of capable WRs not being all that difficult to find.

30 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

As far as challenge flags and whatnot go, I'd really like to see PI being able to go under review. It would still be subjective but at least they could get a better look at it that way. I feel like refs aren't always in position to make the best call or they think they see something that's not there at times. If a dude trips and you're trying to watch the players' hands, you may miss that feet got tied up inadvertently instead of something intentional. Some of those 50 yard bomb DPI calls are flat out absurd and drastically change the outcome of a lot of football games.

I agree, but fear that the challenges would take a long time with more factors to look at than if a player's knee was down on a fumble or the receiver got his feet in. They should also be able to challenge the roughness penalties where they throw a flag if the hit looks bad and/or a receiver stays down and looks hurt. Why can't they review it and see if there was actual helmet contact or something else unnecessary? Or if the player hit ducked into helmet contact. I've seen a few penalties where the QB was hit because he slid too late. Notably, the Alonso hit on Flacco that people were crying about. It looked bad, but Flacco slid late and Alonso couldn't stop. Well, that's how I saw it.

5 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I agree, but fear that the challenges would take a long time with more factors to look at than if a player's knee was down on a fumble or the receiver got his feet in. They should also be able to challenge the roughness penalties where they throw a flag if the hit looks bad and/or a receiver stays down and looks hurt. Why can't they review it and see if there was actual helmet contact or something else unnecessary? Or if the player hit ducked into helmet contact. I've seen a few penalties where the QB was hit because he slid too late. Notably, the Alonso hit on Flacco that people were crying about. It looked bad, but Flacco slid late and Alonso couldn't stop. Well, that's how I saw it.

Or the dozen times Reggie Nelson hit someone shoulder to chest and got flagged.

I realize that it would drag out the games more, but not really if you consider that coaches have limited challenges per game anyway.  I don't see why almost everything can't be reviewable at this point. If the coaches have to pick and choose when to challenge something, let basically anything be able to be overturned if it's wrong. What's wrong with fixing incorrect calls?

42 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Or the dozen times Reggie Nelson hit someone shoulder to chest and got flagged.

I realize that it would drag out the games more, but not really if you consider that coaches have limited challenges per game anyway.  I don't see why almost everything can't be reviewable at this point. If the coaches have to pick and choose when to challenge something, let basically anything be able to be overturned if it's wrong. What's wrong with fixing incorrect calls?

And Kaesveharn(sp) before Nelson.

I agree. And as I said before, if they speed up the challenges, it won't add too much time to the game.Don't look at the play 50 times. They should be able to tell in 3 or 4 views if it's disputable.

4 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

He doesn't make in game adjustments because that's journalistic jargon.

For the 1,000th time, Marvin never said that.  Can't any of you all read?

What is even more ridiculous is that the same people who squeal about Marvin never making in game adjustments also complain about how also squeal about how bad his in game adjustments are.

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

What is even more ridiculous is that the same people who squeal about Marvin never making in game adjustments also complain about how also squeal about how bad his in game adjustments are.

What does that say?

2 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

image.thumb.png.6db9b4ac8c1260c489281f165ef9dec4.png

36 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

image.thumb.png.6db9b4ac8c1260c489281f165ef9dec4.png

Thanks for posting that.  Now everyone can see exactly what he said. Go back and watch the last Stealers game.  They did not take over the second half because they threw out the playbook and started running all new plays.

And NOWHERE in there does it say that the Bengals never make in in-game adjustments.  Marvin was just trying to explain what had happened in that particular game (don't remember which one it was) and it was not about the X's and O's that day.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/story-bengals-season-come-short/UV4beqRn9b09K8c7piEi6O/

“We’ve got to come out there and make things happen,” tackle Jake Fisher said. “We’ve got to do things with our talents that we’re paid to do and get it done. It’s not whether our adjustments are good or bad. It’s us executing things.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Guenther-calls-it-unacceptable/a2bffd2a-4654-49fe-9c25-fa685e17341b

“Some of the things with the new coaches, like I explained to you before, it's the first time going through some of these things,” Guenther said. “We made some adjustments at halftime that helped out. It's all part of it. Like I told the coaches this morning, we've got to screw things down tighter and tighter now that we're understanding where our shortcomings are. We've got to screw them down tighter.”

4 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Thanks for posting that.  Now everyone can see exactly what he said. Go back and watch the last Stealers game.  They did not take over the second half because they threw out the playbook and started running all new plays.

1. And NOWHERE in there does it say that the Bengals never make in in-game adjustments. 2. Marvin was just trying to explain what had happened in that particular game (don't remember which one it was) and it was not about the X's and O's that day.

1. Nah, it just literally says that "X's and O's" type of adjustments during a football game is merely "journalistic jargon". It literally says it in black and white. If you change the context to do mental gymnastics to make it say anything else, that's a YOU problem.

2. No he wasn't. The question was talking about 4th quarter struggles, AKA the struggles of more than 1 game, AKA the season full of 4th quarter struggles that year. Yes, Marvin specifically referenced the game that week, but the questioning (and subsequent answers) were clearly (to anyone but you) talking about the 4th quarter struggles on the year.

I was going to happily accept the apology when you claimed I was the one who couldn't read, but I guess you're just going to spin, spin, spin like you always have. Can't admit you're wrong even 1 time? Classic Fred. Fuck off.

23 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

1. Nah, it just literally says that "X's and O's" type of adjustments during a football game is merely "journalistic jargon". It literally says it in black and white. If you change the context to do mental gymnastics to make it say anything else, that's a YOU problem.

2. No he wasn't. The question was talking about 4th quarter struggles, AKA the struggles of more than 1 game, AKA the season full of 4th quarter struggles that year. Yes, Marvin specifically referenced the game that week, but the questioning (and subsequent answers) were clearly (to anyone but you) talking about the 4th quarter struggles on the year.

I was going to happily accept the apology when you claimed I was the one who couldn't read, but I guess you're just going to spin, spin, spin like you always have. Can't admit you're wrong even 1 time? Classic Fred. Fuck off.

So you are saying that Fisher and Guenther are lying about making adjustments?

Why would they do that?

Marvin said that the problems the Bengals were having that game (or that year) were not do to X's and O's.  He never said that he never made in game adjustments.  You can not find a quote of him saying that anywhere.  But I can provide even more examples of Bengal coaches and players clearly stating that they do make adjustments.

Go back and watch the last Stealers game.  Did they suddenly start running a bunch of new plays to take over the game? 

2 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

So you are saying that Fisher and Guenther are lying about making adjustments?

Why would they do that?

Marvin said that the problems the Bengals were having that game (or that year) were not do to X's and O's.  He never said that he never made in game adjustments.  You can not find a quote of him saying that anywhere.  But I can provide even more examples of Bengal coaches and players clearly stating that they do make adjustments.

Go back and watch the last Stealers game.  Did they suddenly start running a bunch of new plays to take over the game? 

Marvin said that adjustments are journalistic jargon. If you wish to do mental gymnastics to make that not so or if you want to make believe other context to put around it so that you're "right", then so be it.

Not playing your games on this one. People that can read above a 1st grade level can read this and come to their own conclusions. It's pretty obvious what Marvin said and didn't say within the context of the press conference.

https://scout.com/nfl/browns/Article/AFC-North-Roundup-New-Role-for-Andy-Dalton-in-Cincinnati-Ravens-Injury-Mysteries-Stealers-To-75023478

This is why Dalton won’t just be an observer on Sunday but an active participant in the quarterback’s—and the team’s—preparations and in-game adjustments. He needs to set up his team to win much as he would if he was on the field.

http://www.lohud.com/story/blogs/2014/11/19/bengals-notes-dalton-heading-home-mccarron-works-more/19295355/

"They were a little different last week against Cleveland than they were when Ryan (Fitzpatrick) was playing quarterback for them," said Lewis. "We're going to have to, you know, see what the day brings and adjust on the move. That's part of NFL football each and every week. He's not had a lot of playing time other than the preseasons."

3 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Not playing your games on this one. People that can read above a 1st grade level can read this and come to their own conclusions. It's pretty obvious what Marvin said and didn't say within the context of the press conference.

Apparently it is not obvious to you. 

Marvin said that the fourth quarter struggles were due to a lot of different things, but he did not feel it was play calling.  And if you go back and watch the games that is generally the truth.  The Bengals did not struggle because the other team suddenly started running different plays in the fourth quarter.

Some how a bunch of people twisted that to mean "We never make scheme adjustments during the game".  I don't know how they came up with that since both players and coaches have talked many times about making in game adjustments.

Anyone who thinks Marvins comments mean that they never make in game adjustments is just hearing what he wants to hear and ignoring reality.

4 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Anyone who thinks Marvins comments mean that they never make in game adjustments is just hearing what he wants to hear and ignoring reality.

Tell Marvin that since he's the one that said in game adjustments are journalistic jargon.

Fuck offfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Archived