John Ross 2017 - 2018 highlight reel

I've definitely been very wrong myself with predictions at times, but going through some old threads before the draft last year makes me LOL so much. There were a handful of guys so hard on the Ross train, I can't believe some of the shit people were saying. Haason Reddick was going to be a 10+ sack guy this year for whatever team he was on, John Ross is Antonio Brown 2.0, everyone seemed to think all the OTs sucked, etc. Pre-draft stuff is always crazy to go back and read. I can't believe I really wanted/didn't want certain players some years, but I was sooooooooooooo anti-Ross and nothing has changed that.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

John Ross is Antonio Brown 2.0,

Antonio Brown had no injury issues yet he only had 16 receptions his rookie season.

Not saying Ross will be any where near as good as Brown.  Just pointing out how silly it is to write off a player based on his rookie season.

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

Antonio Brown had no injury issues yet he only had 16 receptions his rookie season.

Not saying Ross will be any where near as good as Brown.  Just pointing out how silly it is to write off a player based on his rookie season.

I'm not writing him off because of his rookie season, I'm writing him off because I never thought the pick was good and until I'm proven otherwise I'm going to continue to think this way.

There's a ton of proof on this board of my thoughts of John Ross before he was even drafted. There's a lot I didn't like about him and I felt that way no matter which NFL team drafted him. We just happened to pick the ONE guy I really didn't want in the 1st round last year. So it goes.

4 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I've definitely been very wrong myself with predictions at times, but going through some old threads before the draft last year makes me LOL so much. There were a handful of guys so hard on the Ross train, I can't believe some of the shit people were saying. Haason Reddick was going to be a 10+ sack guy this year for whatever team he was on, John Ross is Antonio Brown 2.0, everyone seemed to think all the OTs sucked, etc. Pre-draft stuff is always crazy to go back and read. I can't believe I really wanted/didn't want certain players some years, but I was sooooooooooooo anti-Ross and nothing has changed that.

Thank goodness we got talked out of Reuben Foster. Kevin Minter has been just swell.

And: "My only real objections are to guys like Ross that are going to go higher than their game tape justifies because they ran well in spandex."

3 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Antonio Brown was chosen in the 6th round. He cost the Stealers $393k his first season, $450k his second season.  He wasn't expected to do shit his rookie year.

John Ross cost us $17.1 million in cap space this year.   He WAS expected to do shit his rookie year.  He cost 43.5 TIMES as much money as Brown did his rookie year.   

If you are going to make comparison, try comparing Apples vs Apples. 

For instance Ted Ginn was the #9 pick in 2007.  During his rookie year:

34 receptions for 420 yards

230 punt return yards

1433 kick off return yards

Overall Ginn had 2084 all purpose yards as a freshman.

Michael Crabtree was the #10 pick in 2009

48 receptions for 625 yards and 2 tds as a rookie.

The other side of the coin is Mike Williams and Corey Davis were both picked higher than Ross this year and haven't exactly lit the place on fire. 

No single digit draft pick WR who had a bad rookie season has gone on to amount to much the last 10 years.   Heyward Bey had one good season after a bad rookie season but he has been a disappointment.  Justin Blackmon #5  was a bust.  Kevin White #7 looks to be a bust but he has been hurt.  I guess we shall see.

Funny video.  Lots of sematics here.  The guy blew this year.  Should we write him off?  Hell, no.  He is on a rookie contract and does have talent.  Maybe he'll grow up, learn the playbook, tell the truth about injuries, and be a pro. 

Still, at #9 he is a crap pick unless he turns into a serious player pretty quick.  He wasted year one.

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Funny video.  Lots of sematics here.  The guy blew this year.  Should we write him off?  Hell, no.  He is on a rookie contract and does have talent.  Maybe he'll grow up, learn the playbook, tell the truth about injuries, and be a pro. 

Still, at #9 he is a crap pick unless he turns into a serious player pretty quick.  He wasted year one.

Yeah as we both know not many people are "writing him off" entirely, I don't recall many people saying that it's a 100% fact that it would be impossible for him to become a decent WR in the future.

SOMEONE already found a way to twist words to prove how big their dick is though. I wonder wonder wonder who that could have been?

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yeah as we both know not many people are "writing him off" entirely, I don't recall many people saying that it's a 100% fact that it would be impossible for him to become a decent WR in the future.

SOMEONE already found a way to twist words to prove how big their dick is though. I wonder wonder wonder who that could have been?

Yeah, I put that tool on ignore a long time ago.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Wrong.  Actually less than $3.1 million.

The signing bonus is spread over the 4 years of his contract.

You are right.

2017   $3.08 mil

2018   $3.89 mil

2019   $4.67 mil

2020   $5.45 mil 

$17.1mil in dead cap over 4 years.

Still doesn't change the fact that compared to most (not all) single digit picks, he hasn't produced.

Archived