Greatest Bengal Wins this Century

Based on a conversation in another thread I figured this might be a good topic for a team out of the playoffs.  So in the last 18 seasons, which wins were our greatest?  Here are mine.

1. Sept 27th, 2009.  Home vs Pittsburgh.  14- 4th quarter points, the last touchdown a 16 play, 5 min drive in 4th quarter, TD in final 18 seconds to win by 3. Probably the best win this century in my opinion. (I was there so maybe a little biased)

2. Dec 23rd, 2012. Away vs Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh driving for game winning field goal  Reggie Nelson int with 24 seconds left in tie game.  Andy with 21 yard pass to AJ with 14 seconds left to get in field goal range.  Josh Brown with 43 yard field goal, game over bitches. Took us to 9-6.

3. Dec 22nd, 2014 Monday night home against Denver.  Down by 1 scored 10 unanswered 4th quarter points to seal victory against 11-4 Broncos.  Sealed playoff birth.

4. Oct 11, 2015 Home against Seahawks.  17 unanswered points in 4th quarter to tie, field goal in overtime to win. 

5. Oct 22, 2000 Home vs Broncos.  Team was 0-6.  In a game that we only had 15 first downs, Corey Dillon ran for 278 yards on 22 carries. 4th quarter TD runs of 65 and 41 yards seal our first victory.   A game that had 921 total yards of offense.  Starter Akillme Smith and backup Scott Mitchell combined for 2 completions on 14 attempts for 34 yards. Peter Warrick had 90 yards RUSHING on 3 attempts. 

Honorable mention 

Oct 6th, 2013 Home vs Patriots,..the famous floodwaters from heaven game.   Why not top 5?  It was a pretty bad game for the most part.

Add your favorites, might have missed a few. 

44 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Based on a conversation in another thread I figured this might be a good topic for a team out of the playoffs.  So in the last 18 seasons, which wins were our greatest?  Here are mine.

1. Sept 27th, 2009.  Home vs Pittsburgh.  14- 4th quarter points, the last touchdown a 16 play, 5 min drive in 4th quarter, TD in final 18 seconds to win by 3. Probably the best win this century in my opinion. (I was there so maybe a little biased)

2. Dec 23rd, 2012. Away vs Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh driving for game winning field goal  Reggie Nelson int with 24 seconds left in tie game.  Andy with 21 yard pass to AJ with 14 seconds left to get in field goal range.  Josh Brown with 43 yard field goal, game over bitches. Took us to 9-6.

3. Dec 22nd, 2014 Monday night home against Denver.  Down by 1 scored 10 unanswered 4th quarter points to seal victory against 11-4 Broncos.  Sealed playoff birth.

4. Oct 11, 2015 Home against Seahawks.  17 unanswered points in 4th quarter to tie, field goal in overtime to win. 

5. Oct 22, 2000 Home vs Broncos.  Team was 0-6.  In a game that we only had 15 first downs, Corey Dillon ran for 278 yards on 22 carries. 4th quarter TD runs of 65 and 41 yards seal our first victory.   A game that had 921 total yards of offense.  Starter Akillme Smith and backup Scott Mitchell combined for 2 completions on 14 attempts for 34 yards. Peter Warrick had 90 yards RUSHING on 3 attempts. 

Honorable mention 

Oct 6th, 2013 Home vs Patriots,..the famous floodwaters from heaven game.   Why not top 5?  It was a pretty bad game for the most part.

Add your favorites, might have missed a few. 

Compared my list to my buddy's list who grew up in Connecticut and is a Patriots fan:

2001 Super Bowl

2016 Super Bowl

2014 Super Bowl

2003 Super Bowl

Jan 19, 2002 Div Playoff Game at home vs Oakland Raiders "The Snow Bowl"

Honorable mention

2004 Super Bowl

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Compared my list to my buddy's list who grew up in Connecticut and is a Patriots fan:

2001 Super Bowl

2016 Super Bowl

2014 Super Bowl

2003 Super Bowl

Honorable mention

2004 Super Bowl

With all due respect, this is quite jerkish in a Bengals forum.

Note: Fred is not the only one reading this. In other words fuck off with this shit.:rant:

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

2001 Super Bowl

2016 Super Bowl

2014 Super Bowl

2003 Super Bowl

Honorable mention

2004 Super Bowl

Someone's holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to be a Bengals fan? How many decades has this been going on?

Dude, you wanna lick some patriot balls, go be a fan of the Patriots. Taking your passive aggressive bitching into another thread to complain about the franchise isn't just childish, it's fucking stupid. If Super Bowls are all that matter to you, go be a damn yinzer fan.

At what point did you start following the Bengals and think "Thank goodness I'm rooting for a perennial Super Bowl contender"? Jesus, even during our best years we were shit-house incompetent. You made it through the 90's and now you're bitching about not winning enough super bowls?

If you really want to make that point, let me do you a favor: Stop rooting for the Bengals. If we somehow make a Super Bowl in the next decade, it's going to be almost magical because there won't be a better way to explain how it happened. You want any type of consistent success, you'd better look elsewhere. Hell, it's been 16 years since that super bowl listed up top... You haven't figured it out by now? If you had switched then, you'd have 4 more happy memories.

Stupid Bengals, I've only been watching for 2 decades waiting for something to change. They're so stupid. Heck, they've kept Marvin for 15 years and I've watched every game during that time. How can THEY not figure out that it's time to move on?

And beyond that, you're making Fred look like the reasonable one.

57 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Someone's holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to be a Bengals fan? How many decades has this been going on?

Dude, you wanna lick some patriot balls, go be a fan of the Patriots. Taking your passive aggressive bitching into another thread to complain about the franchise isn't just childish, it's fucking stupid. If Super Bowls are all that matter to you, go be a damn yinzer fan.

At what point did you start following the Bengals and think "Thank goodness I'm rooting for a perennial Super Bowl contender"? Jesus, even during our best years we were shit-house incompetent. You made it through the 90's and now you're bitching about not winning enough super bowls?

If you really want to make that point, let me do you a favor: Stop rooting for the Bengals. If we somehow make a Super Bowl in the next decade, it's going to be almost magical because there won't be a better way to explain how it happened. You want any type of consistent success, you'd better look elsewhere. Hell, it's been 16 years since that super bowl listed up top... You haven't figured it out by now? If you had switched then, you'd have 4 more happy memories.

Stupid Bengals, I've only been watching for 2 decades waiting for something to change. They're so stupid. Heck, they've kept Marvin for 15 years and I've watched every game during that time. How can THEY not figure out that it's time to move on?

And beyond that, you're making Fred look like the reasonable one.

I lived 4 miles from the Super Dome until I was 10 (I moved before it was finished).  When I moved to Dayton in 1974 I was pretty happy. The local football team didn't suck and this was the local baseball team: The Big Red Machine.

The Patriots post served one purpose: To reinforce the fact that this organization has accomplished next to nothing with Mike Brown at the helm.  Our greatest victories in the last 25 years are insignificant.

4 hours ago, schotzee said:

With all due respect, this is quite jerkish in a Bengals forum.

Note: Fred is not the only one reading this. In other words fuck off with this shit.:rant:

The Patriots have NEVER been our rival. If I wanted to be jerkish, I would have posted Pittsburgh's top 5 victories this century.  

If I wanted to be a total cunt, I would have followed up with Baltimore's 21st century highlights.

Biggest win this century is hard to define for me.

-The win that had the biggest impact on me was the "Vicki Zimmer game" when we beat the Ravens in '09.  I have never been prouder of my team than that day, but those were some very unusual circumstances.

-Beating the undefeated Chiefs in '03.  That was the first inkling that things were really starting to change.  I think most people here have forgotten how really shitty it was to be a Bengal fan back then.  We were all beaten down back then.  The term "accepting mediocrity" is used a lot around here, but back then it was true.

-The game against the Ravens in '04 was also big.  That was when I first really felt that Carson was the real deal and could turn the team around.

-2012 when we started 3-5 and beat the 6-3 Giants to start that great 7-1 run to the playoffs.  Also in 2012 eliminating the Stealers from the plaoffs in a "must win game" the next to the last week of the season.

-The insane 38-31 win at Pittsburgh in '05 that featured 3 ties and 4 lead changes.  This game is probably #2 on my list.  Not only a "statement" victory, but also extremely entertaining.

26 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I lived 4 miles from the Super Dome until I was 10 (I moved before it was finished).  When I moved to Dayton in 1974 I was pretty happy. The local football team didn't suck and this was the local baseball team: The Big Red Machine.

The Patriots post served one purpose: To reinforce the fact that this organization has accomplished next to nothing with Mike Brown at the helm.  Our greatest victories in the last 25 years are insignificant.

All we are saying is that whiny shit gets old after a while.

Believe it or not some of us like to have discussions about the Bengals for reasons other than just bragging about our victim cards

8 hours ago, fredtoast said:

All we are saying is that whiny shit gets old after a while.

Believe it or not some of us like to have discussions about the Bengals for reasons other than just bragging about our victim cards

You are aware Brett Favre threw 29 interceptions in 2005,..no?

I am not a victim, I don't expect the Bengals to win in the post season so it doesn't really bother me. 

2003 Bengals-Chiefs

This game closed the book on the 1990-2002 "Bengals" teams and marked the beginning of the Marvin/Chad era.  Rookie QB Carson Palmer was waiting in the wings to take the helm in 2004, and in 2005 the Stripes won the North and made their first playoff appearance in ages.

But against the undefeated Chiefs, the Bengals made a statement..... and returned to the NFL.

On 12/13/2017 at 3:22 PM, SF2 said:

1. That was the game with the Brian Leonard leaping fourth down conversion to keep the drive alive before the Caldwell TD, wasn't it? Then Leonard got the 2PT conversion? There used to be videos of the ending of that game on YouTube, I wish they were still there. I love hearing the stadium roar when Caldwell scores the TD.

3. I was at that game, got free last minute tickets from my work at the time. Had to go with a co-worker whom was a Steelers fan. IIRC it was the first time we'd ever beaten Manning, and also when he started to look mortal. It also rained like a mother in the second half.

4. I was at this game too. What a comeback against the defending SB champs! This was my oldest son's first NFL game. We had Hawks fans all around us, talking shit for most of the game. When we 3 and outed them late in the game to set up the game winning drive, my son smiled, looked at me and said "Why are all those guys so quiet now?" LOL.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Yes.  I was the one who used that fact to prove how stupid it was to judge teams or players based on just one season.

Pretty sure this is Marvin's 15th season and his lack of playoff success coupled with the horrible play this season was being discussed as the FINAL nail in the coffin, not the only one.

Marvin's goal, like every other coach's is to win a Super Bowl.  Doesn't happen overnight and the first step is to make the playoffs, second play for Conf Championship and finally get to and win a ring.

In 15 years Marvin never made it past the first step.   The past two seasons the team has regressed.

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

Pretty sure this is Marvin's 15th season and his lack of playoff success coupled with the horrible play this season was being discussed as the FINAL nail in the coffin, not the only one.

Marvin's goal, like every other coach's is to win a Super Bowl.  Doesn't happen overnight and the first step is to make the playoffs, second play for Conf Championship and finally get to and win a ring.

In 15 years Marvin never made it past the first step.   The past two seasons the team has regressed.

Checkmate.

17 hours ago, SF2 said:

As usual you you are 100% wrong.  I tried to bring up some historical facts and you lost your shit and started squealing in bold and all caps about how nothing in the past was relevant.  Here are your direct quotes from this thread. https://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/81129-2018-coaching-prospects/&page=7

"Did anyone say anything about the last 7 or 10 years?  NO.  As we will see in Madieu's next post,... he asks a simple question:  what does that have to do with anything?  He specifically stated the CURRENT Bengals organization, not the team from 2008." 

" MS made a specific point about the CURRENT BENGAL'S organization"

" At no time did Madieu make any claim that the Ravens, HISTORICALLY, were a far better come from behind team than the Bengals.  He simply stated that the current Bengals organization was a gutless bunch of stiffs"

"Again, Madieu was talking about this year's team. \"

It was at this point that I used the Favre example to show how stupid it was to judge coaches and players based just one season, or in this case half of a season.

On 12/13/2017 at 5:40 PM, Jason said:

The 2004 game in Baltimore where Carson lead the 4th quarter comeback.

This for me because I was there. It was so sweet watching the Ratbirds fans in shock at the end of the game.

Honorable mention. Beating the Cheifs that had not lost a game all season until they faced us.

On 12/14/2017 at 3:33 PM, AmishBengalFan said:

2003 Bengals-Chiefs

This game closed the book on the 1990-2002 "Bengals" teams and marked the beginning of the Marvin/Chad era.  Rookie QB Carson Palmer was waiting in the wings to take the helm in 2004, and in 2005 the Stripes won the North and made their first playoff appearance in ages.

But against the undefeated Chiefs, the Bengals made a statement..... and returned to the NFL.

I just watched all of this, for the first time in forever. Thanks for posting it. It's a bit remarkable when you compare this team to today's team.

-I forgot how incredible Kitna's TD pass to Warrick was. Man, that was a great throw. Perfect.

-Mark Roman! A defensive difference maker! LOL

-The field was terrible. Before the field turf, that field was atrocious. I actually like that as I believe it levels the playing field (natch), but man, what a difference. The middle of that field was a mud-fest of churned soil and dirty jerseys.

-Our defensive line, as sucky as it was then, played well enough despite a lack of sacks. Lots of pressure, hands up on passes, etc

-Rudi had a great game. His late 50 yard run broke the backs of the Chiefs.

-Brandon Bennett sucked as a returner, but that last kickoff should have been a touchback

-I wish we had Kevin Hardy in his prime

-Kaeshveharn had no business being on an NFL roster

-The "fumble that wasn't" that was recovered by Simmons along the sideline was definitely a fumble by today's standards. 

-I wish we had that offensive line today

-Chad Johnson even as a rookie needed an IV because McDonald's

-The Jeremi Johnson TD was awesome (and I am not sure that today it would have been one). A fat man dancing like that with the ball deserves kudos. Best FB we've ever had, when he didn't show up at TC at 350lbs

17 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

This for me because I was there. It was so sweet watching the Ratbirds fans in shock at the end of the game.

Honorable mention. Beating the Cheifs that had not lost a game all season until they faced us.

I had a similar experience.  I was at the game when Jeff Blake lead a second half comeback at old Memorial stadium in (I think) the Ravens first season.  The first half I was getting some teasing, but I walked out head held high.

Archived