Heading to MSP

Prolly a day too early for our game day thread, but I wanted to share a couple of photos as I head on up to the Near White North for tomorrows game against the Domequeens.

IMG_20171216_080633428.jpg

Weird "art" at Chicago Midway.  (That's his knee, BTW.)

IMG_20171216_091245_01.jpg

At gate B14 waiting on the flight to MSP.  Lots of Stripes in the gate area.  Nice to see so many friends from home.

that stadium is on the list of ones i want to hit..  at some point id like to have been to all 32 active stadiums... 

have fun up there, share many many pics. 

i cant imagine a win is even remotely possible. nor am i even rooting for one at this point, but hope you enjoy the game regardless.

01 hey look snow.jpg

Hey look, snow!

Okay.... so the flight got in a few minutes late and I had to wait on my checked bag.  Southwest flys into Terminal 2, which apparently is the brand new part of the airport... really clean and pretty, and seemingly hardly used.  But it was a L-O-N-G walk from the baggage carousel end of T2 to the Light Rail station that's stuck out next to one of the parking garages.

( Oh, a note.  Apparently they've never heard of the word "garage" up here in the Near White North.  They call them "ramps".   This is, of course, really stupid, because they also use that word to describe acceleration/deceleration lanes on the Interstates (like MOST of the sane world does).  Anyway, they have two "ramps" adjacent to T2.... "Purple" and "Orange".  Kinda fitting considering the colors of this weekend's teams, eh? )

Got on the light rail (the Blue Line) which was supposed to run me downtown.  Alas, the downtown stations were all offline and we had to disembark a couple of miles short, walk to a waiting bus, then deal with street traffic while they drove us to the downtown rail stations.  Went right past US Bank Arena... it's ginormous.  More on that tomorrow.

Got to my posh downtown digs (Hotel Minneapolis - it's a new Marriott Autograph property, look it up), got my bags dumped, and called an Uber to get me to St Paul to try to get in to the Wild-Oilers NHL game at Xcel Energy Center.  The game started at 1, it was nearly 2 before I got there, but I expected I would be able to low-ball a scalper who would have NO customers at that point.  Failing that, I'd get a cheap-ass ticket from the box office.  Alas, there were only two scalpers still hanging around.  One had a single on the Club level ($149 face), the other had a pair he didn't want to split up and a buyer "coming back" from an ATM.  Oh, and the game was a sell-out, so nothing at the box office.  But fear not!  I checked TicketBastard (nothing - they shut down sales when the game in question has started) and StubHub... who, fortunately, would still sell tickets as late as 90 minutes into the game.  I found a seat in the upper bowl, top row, corner, for $28.

02 three zambonis.jpg

For the "worst seat" in the house, it was still pretty freaking sweet.

I got to my seat with a minute left in the first period.  What was weird was that there were 19,000 people attending the game, but while I was walking the concourse, there was not a single person buying beer or nachos or hotdogs or using the bathrooms.  Every single one of those 19,000 were in their seats.  Yeah, as soon as intermission hit the concourse was jammed-full, but I've never seen so many people so intent on watching the game they bought their ticket for than what I saw today.

A lot of fans of other teams could learn a lesson from these Wild fans.

02.5 scoreless but cool.jpg

Nobody had scored in 1P, so I didn't miss anything.  (Yeah, keep telling myself that)

Edmonton ended up winning the game 3-2.  Connor McDavid was amazing.  I have never had a chance to see him play before today - either live or on TV.  When he had the puck he skated around the Wild like they were trees in a forest.  When he passed it was always directly on-tape.  The Wild refused to let him get into a shooting position, throwing themselves at him, hacking, slashing, and doing anything they could to shut HIM down.  It worked, but they drew a LOT of penalties doing it.  McDavid's line didn't score, but Minnesota was playing man-down a lot more than they needed to IMO.  They ended up taking a bad high stick penalty with 2:00 left in 3P just as they pulled their goalie to try to even things up.... and that penalty pretty much sealed the deal.

The place DID rock, and boy was it loud when the Wild were doing well....

03 goal dumba.jpg

The post-goal music was, of course, "Let's Get Crazy" by Prince. :)

I did manage to pick up a souvenir for a ladyfriend of mine who is from the Near White North, and who's a Wild fan, but who has never been to a game:

05 certain to confuse.jpg

This is certain to confuse folks who stumble on this photo years from now.

If I get a chance tomorrow after the game, I'm hoping to go to First Avenue & 7th Street Entry.

http://first-avenue.com/

If you know nothing about the Minneapolis music scene except what you saw in the Prince movie -Purple Rain-.... that's the downtown venue everybody played at.  It's a landmark of epic proportions.

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

I am enjoying your trip with all the pictures! I feel like I am there, too. Keep them coming. Show us your  game-winning breakfast tomorrow morning!

IMHO if you don't have kolache and klobasnek for breakfast you are doing it wrong.   Sucks that nobody in Cincinnati or even SW Ohio makes them AFAIK.

BTW - With the Manning Mules having beaten the Dolts on Thursday, the Stripes can move up in the draft with a loss:

Current Top 10:

1: Cleveland (0-13)

2: NY Giants (2-11)

3: Indianapolis (3-11)

4: San Francisco (3-10)

5: Chicago (4-10)

6: Houston (4-9) SoS= .507 (pick traded to CLE)

7: Tampa Bay (4-9) SoS = .557

8: Denver (5-9) SoS = .484

9: Cincinnati (5-8) SoS = .476

10: NY Jets (5-8) SoS = .526

(tie): Washington (5-8) SoS = .526

Lower SoS wins tiebreak if overall record is tied.  SoS figures shown already factor in teams we haven't played yet, so there's no sudden bump by adding an 11-2 Minnesota to our SoS.... they're already in there, it's only the additional 1-0 for their win that gets added.  And since our 16 opponents all play 16 games, one win is just 1 game out of 256.  No way that win on its own would boost our SoS ahead of Denver's.  And if Tampa and/or Houston can pull off an upset win while we lose, we might climb two or three rungs up that ladder.

6: Houston (4-9) SoS= .507 [away at JAX (9-4)]

7: Tampa Bay (4-9) SoS = .557 [home to ATL (8-5)]

8: Denver (5-9) SoS = .484 [won]

9: Cincinnati (5-8) SoS = .476 [away at MIN (11-2)]

6 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

01 hey look snow.jpg

Hey look, snow!

Okay.... so the flight got in a few minutes late and I had to wait on my checked bag.  Southwest flys into Terminal 2, which apparently is the brand new part of the airport... really clean and pretty, and seemingly hardly used.  But it was a L-O-N-G walk from the baggage carousel end of T2 to the Light Rail station that's stuck out next to one of the parking garages.

( Oh, a note.  Apparently they've never heard of the word "garage" up here in the Near White North.  They call them "ramps".   This is, of course, really stupid, because they also use that word to describe acceleration/deceleration lanes on the Interstates (like MOST of the sane world does).  Anyway, they have two "ramps" adjacent to T2.... "Purple" and "Orange".  Kinda fitting considering the colors of this weekend's teams, eh? )

Got on the light rail (the Blue Line) which was supposed to run me downtown.  Alas, the downtown stations were all offline and we had to disembark a couple of miles short, walk to a waiting bus, then deal with street traffic while they drove us to the downtown rail stations.  Went right past US Bank Arena... it's ginormous.  More on that tomorrow.

Got to my posh downtown digs (Hotel Minneapolis - it's a new Marriott Autograph property, look it up), got my bags dumped, and called an Uber to get me to St Paul to try to get in to the Wild-Oilers NHL game at Xcel Energy Center.  The game started at 1, it was nearly 2 before I got there, but I expected I would be able to low-ball a scalper who would have NO customers at that point.  Failing that, I'd get a cheap-ass ticket from the box office.  Alas, there were only two scalpers still hanging around.  One had a single on the Club level ($149 face), the other had a pair he didn't want to split up and a buyer "coming back" from an ATM.  Oh, and the game was a sell-out, so nothing at the box office.  But fear not!  I checked TicketBastard (nothing - they shut down sales when the game in question has started) and StubHub... who, fortunately, would still sell tickets as late as 90 minutes into the game.  I found a seat in the upper bowl, top row, corner, for $28.

02 three zambonis.jpg

For the "worst seat" in the house, it was still pretty freaking sweet.

I got to my seat with a minute left in the first period.  What was weird was that there were 19,000 people attending the game, but while I was walking the concourse, there was not a single person buying beer or nachos or hotdogs or using the bathrooms.  Every single one of those 19,000 were in their seats.  Yeah, as soon as intermission hit the concourse was jammed-full, but I've never seen so many people so intent on watching the game they bought their ticket for than what I saw today.

A lot of fans of other teams could learn a lesson from these Wild fans.

Is driving cars on the ice an intermission thing in Canada? Who wins? Do you place bets?

Although non-attending-only-interested-in-unknown -draft-picks types say the contrary, I am really hoping you get to fly home happy with a win. 

There has been any number of really apt descriptions made regarding Minn-ee-soh-tuns over time. All are accurate.

But glad they actually watch their hockey in person and actually watch while there. Even after 17 years in Columbus, your basic CBJ "fan" has never been in the arena, or if they do go, they spend the periods in food lines or just milling about. 

11 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

I don't know if those will be on the Marriott breakfast buffet tomorrow, but I'll certainly ask.

Failing that, I'll just focus on the letter "K" - maybe some kielbasa, kiwis, kidney beans, kimchi, or kangaroo.

I appreciate the effort but suggest skipping the kangaroo.  I had some once and it was fucking terrible.  Tasted like a dog biscuit smells. 

Archived