It’s “official” Marvin is leaving..

45 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

No big surprise.  Marvin had the team fighting and believing all the way through the first half of the Steeler game, but after that collapse it was over for the players.

That game last week was not just another loss.  It was one of the worst performances I have seen by the Bengals in many many years.  We got dominated by one of the worst teams in the league.

Yes and yes.

I know that many of you will be pleased at this development. Assuming we can hire Zim or someone of his calibre and they agree to clean house on the coaches too, so am I.

But let's not forget where we were before he arrived and where we are now. This season has been a crushing disappointment precisely because the recent years have been endless wins and glory. Okay no playoffs, but unless we won it all I don't care if we lose in round one or the Conference Championship game. I'll take umpteen years getting to the playoffs in comparison to the Coslet/Shula years.

So let's not crow too much or pretend he was the coaching equivalent of Ohalete. It didn't work out. But even Belicheat would struggle to get this offensive line performing, or overcome the NFLs obsession with penalising us, or the loss of major players to injury/contract lowballing.

If we start next season with Guenter as head coach and Paul Alexander as DC then don't come crying...

1 minute ago, VonBlade said:

I know that many of you will be pleased at this development. Assuming we can hire Zim or someone of his calibre and they agree to clean house on the coaches too, so am I.

But let's not forget where we were before he arrived and where we are now. This season has been a crushing disappointment precisely because the recent years have been endless wins and glory. Okay no playoffs, but unless we won it all I don't care if we lose in round one or the Conference Championship game. I'll take umpteen years getting to the playoffs in comparison to the Coslet/Shula years.

So let's not crow too much or pretend he was the coaching equivalent of Ohalete. It didn't work out. But even Belicheat would struggle to get this offensive line performing, or overcome the NFLs obsession with penalising us, or the loss of major players to injury/contract lowballing.

If we start next season with Guenter as head coach and Paul Alexander as DC then don't come crying...

Funny , my post ended up kind of similar to yours in making a point.

This was a long time coming....and it should have been done much sooner--at least after the Chargers debacle, and should have an exclamation point after 2015.

But whether you hate him or not, at least respect the man for what's he done, which is for 2003 to this year, we were relevent for the most part.   I really hope that this doesn't mean that we are returning to the Dark Decade because Marvin is stepping down...

....I'm half-expecting a good number on here with that Stephen A. Smith bullshit about that same ole schitck about Marvin w/o a playoff win--I wonder how the powers that be react when they don't have their scapegoat coach anymore....

...and to really think that the sky is really falling, I really think that since Marvin's leaving,  there's the possibility that we could see either Andy or AJ being traded in the coming offseason.  Let's face facts--we had our prime opportunity between 2013-2015,  and blew it big time.   Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu are on teams that use them much better than the Bengals did, not to mention both are on playoff teams, with Sanu getting to the dance (and almost getting a ring--damn you TB12, why won't you just retire already?)  We should just gut the team already and start over.....

2 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Agreed, but Marvin never got that privilege. Just sayin...

To an extent, but not completely. There were stories that he was pissed when Zampese was fired and he is probably at least partially responsible for some of the dead weight coaches still being here.

Just now, High School Harry said:

My inside sources tell me Marv is going into the broadcast booth and teaming with Collinsworth because they have so much in common.

Marvin is still obviously a huge stealers fan and will have violent fights with Collinsworth over Jen's dick.

3 minutes ago, Hooky said:

To an extent, but not completely. There were stories that he was pissed when Zampese was fired and he is probably at least partially responsible for some of the dead weight coaches still being here.

The last part of your post could be very well true, but regarding Zampese, there was an Si report saying he was fired by Marvin.

3 minutes ago, schotzee said:

The last part of your post could be very well true, but regarding Zampese, there was an Si report saying he was fired by Marvin.

But that doesn't mean it was his idea. But I do agree with you that Marvin was obviously hamstrung on a lot of decision making on personnel.

23 minutes ago, VonBlade said:

Agree - that's why i sent the Dave (Mike) Shula post. I've never been on the fire Marvin bandwagon but always said if there's somebody better out there - ok. Some might tend to forget the barren years of horrible coaches. I think after this season, it's probably time. Players have started going deaf to Marvin's methods so something has to give. Let's hope we can do this right.

38 minutes ago, VonBlade said:

He took us from piss poor to a contender, but not a successful team. Our 90s team shouldn't be a consideration in how well Marvin has done in the last 10 years. Which is no playoff wins and an infuriating record against the dirty cocksuckers. If your bar is set at better than the 90s teams, then mission accomplished. But he wouldn't have lasted 15 years anywhere else.

Also, the argument that Marvin wasn't given the talent to go further in the playoffs is absurd.

6 minutes ago, Hooky said:

But that doesn't mean it was his idea. But I do agree with you that Marvin was obviously hamstrung on a lot of decision making on personnel.

And likely a slew of other things.  He single-handedly dragged this franchise kicking & screaming into the 21st century NFL. Even so, he was continually beating his head against the brick wall of ownership.

The idea that some new HC is going to come in & be given more control than Marvin was able to gain after all this time is a bit fanciful.  

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

And likely a slew of other things.  He single-handedly dragged this franchise kicking & screaming into the 21st century NFL. Even so, he was continually beating his head against the brick wall of ownership.

The idea that some new HC is going to come in & be given more control than Marvin was able to gain after all this time is a bit fanciful.  

Yes. We won't win big games consistently until there is a marriage between the org and coaches that works. That IMHO is the formula to success. Even with lesser talent on the field, those teams will always be successful.

The frankly amazing thing is that this isn't Marvin being fired for an uninspiring performance, this is Marvin walking away after being fed up with the Front Office.

"Me, nope, I'm still VERY open to doing my job, any job really, just not for Mike and Katie."

Complaints about how assistant coaches have been treated financially? Check.

We all wanted Marvin gone, and in the end, he decided he was too good for us. I'm sure that all of the great available coaches will be beating a path to my door. Heck, if Paulie G is one of the assistants complaining about pay, he may well not even want the job. We'll have to see who wants to come to the Jungle and deal with Mr Kurtz and his heart of darkness.

I remember the Bengals under Coslet and Shula and LeBeau... Thanks for making us relevant while Mike Brown insisted on drafting drunks and rapists. Thanks for 15 years of hope. Thanks for the playoff games we're pissed off about. We wish you success.

Archived