It’s “official” Marvin is leaving..

29 minutes ago, Marlon23 said:

Biggest mistake in Franchise History to have Marvin Gone.  Back to the 90's.  Wrong Players made the team what it is. 

Meh, while enough hasn’t changed in the front office with the culture of the franchise, this is nowhere near the type of operation it was when Marvin was hired. I am sure Marvin had a lot to do with that, but, some credit has to be given to the controlling interest and their willingness to make bigger picture changes.

My hope is that with this significant franchise chapter coming to an end, the FO will make a good, solid external batch of hires, and really look to do what it takes to be competitive. They might truly see the fatigue setting into the fan base and know that the alternative will be a severely effected bottom line. Which, I think could be the reality they might be facing.

Not so sure this shouldn't be Marvin Lewis last game as #Bengals head coach considering how no one in organization was told about it.. but then again he should be forced to work the final two weeks instead of getting paid to do nothing.... or maybe he already is...

8 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

I just don't get the timing on this.

I am thinking it is "saving face" move from Marvin.  His contract was up and he did not get an extension......of course he is moving on.  Lewis was either told he was not getting an extension or maybe he just realized it.  Marvin announcing now makes it sound like it was his call and not Bengals front office.

9 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I am thinking it is "saving face" move from Marvin.  His contract was up and he did not get an extension......of course he is moving on.  Lewis was either told he was not getting an extension or maybe he just realized it.  Marvin announcing now makes it sound like it was his call and not Bengals front office.

Just seems a bit unprofessional.   With a few games left the team is totally going to mail it in.  Maybe Marvin wanted more free time before Christmas.

5 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Marv takes the pipe and falls on the sword.

3 hours ago, DanvilleBengal said:

This was a long time coming....and it should have been done much sooner--at least after the Chargers debacle, and should have an exclamation point after 2015.

But whether you hate him or not, at least respect the man for what's he done, which is for 2003 to this year, we were relevent for the most part.   I really hope that this doesn't mean that we are returning to the Dark Decade because Marvin is stepping down...

....I'm half-expecting a good number on here with that Stephen A. Smith bullshit about that same ole schitck about Marvin w/o a playoff win--I wonder how the powers that be react when they don't have their scapegoat coach anymore....

...and to really think that the sky is really falling, I really think that since Marvin's leaving,  there's the possibility that we could see either Andy or AJ being traded in the coming offseason.  Let's face facts--we had our prime opportunity between 2013-2015,  and blew it big time.   Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu are on teams that use them much better than the Bengals did, not to mention both are on playoff teams, with Sanu getting to the dance (and almost getting a ring--damn you TB12, why won't you just retire already?)  We should just gut the team already and start over.....

Well, I was the one that kept posting that video, so I guess you mean me. I said it before, now I must say it again...Stephen A is complete garbage and a fucking blowhard. But, in that video, HE'S NOT WRONG. Marvin should have been fired YEARS AGO based on the team's playoff performance. For Marvin to try to flip the script and act like he's leaving because "his assistants have been treated unfairly" is laughable AT BEST. This football team has underperformed for YEARS and THAT'S ON MARVIN LEWIS. Only in this town would Marvin's level of mediocrity be rewarded and celebrated. Fuck the past, that was forever ago. This team was built to win on both sides of the ball, and Marvin failed. Then failed again, and again, and again, and again, and again and again. That's seven again's, right? Sweet.

17 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I am thinking it is "saving face" move from Marvin.  His contract was up and he did not get an extension......of course he is moving on.

He's already stating he's not even open to coming back. Any way you slice it, that's a pretty drastic move. It also sends up red flags for anyone we my try to hire after Marvin. I mean, if you had your choice between the Bengals any any other expected vacancy, why would you choose the Bengals?

If he was saving face, he did it by taking a ton away from the Brown/Blackburn clan. And he'll be fine, because achieving mediocrity with the NFL's worst front office is an achievement.

9 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

He's already stating he's not even open to coming back. Any way you slice it, that's a pretty drastic move. It also sends up red flags for anyone we my try to hire after Marvin. I mean, if you had your choice between the Bengals any any other expected vacancy, why would you choose the Bengals?

If he was saving face, he did it by taking a ton away from the Brown/Blackburn clan. And he'll be fine, because achieving mediocrity with the NFL's worst front office is an achievement.

Yep, Marvin is gonna be fine. I'm afraid to think, probably quicker than our team will be  with ole musty albatross still running things.

24 minutes ago, jmckbengal said:

I've been told Katy favors a young coach, like Mike Shula but Mike wants a more seasoned one. I guess we will see who is making the decisions when the coach is hired

Katie’s gonna win it.

She and Troy are winning more than not in recent years.

46 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Well, I was the one that kept posting that video, so I guess you mean me. I said it before, now I must say it again...Stephen A is complete garbage and a fucking blowhard. But, in that video, HE'S NOT WRONG. Marvin should have been fired YEARS AGO based on the team's playoff performance. For Marvin to try to flip the script and act like he's leaving because "his assistants have been treated unfairly" is laughable AT BEST. This football team has underperformed for YEARS and THAT'S ON MARVIN LEWIS. Only in this town would Marvin's level of mediocrity be rewarded and celebrated. Fuck the past, that was forever ago. This team was built to win on both sides of the ball, and Marvin failed. Then failed again, and again, and again, and again, and again and again. That's seven again's, right? Sweet.

Looks like I have to explain myself a bit...And no Bung, this is not a ding on you or anyone else.    Yes, we are on accord that Marvin should have been fired years ago, and that he's simply 'stepping down' (i.e.  Marvin has fired himself, but Mike Brown is too classy and too good-natured to actually tell him in his face 'I'm pissed off that I gave you 15 years and you haven't done anything but make us a laughingstock'--hell Jones probably would have said that, and for me that's saying something...)

As far as the Stephen A. stuff,  I simply get tired of that shit over and over again...I mean, we get it, Marv is incompetent, Bengals aint going anwhere with Marv as coach, blah, blah, blah...I just wish he would stop tooting his fucking Steeler horn all over the fucking time. 

You know what, just disregard what I commented.   I was pissed,  it looked like a Stephen A. thing again,  and I'm kinda of the point of 'Marv got fired, he's gone, don't demonize him'.

And the other comment that is saying that either AJ, Andy, or both need to be traded in the offseason still stands.   We've gonna be starting over, might as well get something for them while they are still somewhat valuable...

The timing smells. Think Marvin is butthurt since he wasn’t getting any love.  Marvin throws out the BS about assistants being treated poorly.  They probably are under paid, but Marvin hasn’t taken a stand for 15 years. Three of those guys are now NFL head coaches.  

It was past past time for Marvin to go.  We do owe him thanks for bringing respectability to the Bengals, but his limitations as a coach have been on display for several years.  Good luck to him. 

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

I've been wondering how much there really is to the "Mike Brown is still a cheapskate" rumors. I tend to think that westside bengal may have it right.

The cheapskate stuff strikes me the same as the ever popular, old line of "the bengals are all convicts". I'm not buying.

25 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I get that Katy is more competent than Mike (by default), but another Shula? I get it that he's done a pretty good job, but I'm just not sure than another Shula son is the answer. 

Oh, I wasn't commenting specifically that the "younger" coach to take the reins would be Shula...just that it would likely be someone, generally, younger than older.

7 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

I've been wondering how much there really is to the "Mike Brown is still a cheapskate" rumors. I tend to think that westside bengal may have it right.

The cheapskate stuff strikes me the same as the ever popular, old line of "the bengals are all convicts". I'm not buying.

Marvin has been an NFL coach for the same team for 15 years yet he is one of the lowest paid coaches in the league.  There is NO DOUBT their coaching staff is one of the lowest paid in the league.  Not even debatable.

Now the Bengals are all convicts is about 10 years expired.  It is curdled milk that smells.

Archived