It’s “official” Marvin is leaving..

5 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Why is Marvin denying the ESPN report? It's not like they just made something up, Schefter is too good a journalist for that. Perhaps this info wasn't supposed to get out until after the season.

I would think your analysis is correct.  I think the idea was for Marvin to be allowed to make that decision and go out with a little dignity.  Did he really want the to season to end and force Mike and Katie have to say, "We are not re-signing Marvin Lewis because in 15 years, he couldn't get us over the hump?"

15 years in the same position is a long time and leaving at this point after making the team relevant isn't a bad way to go out.  The rest of the world understands what Marvin Lewis was up against.  

13 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Oh, I wasn't commenting specifically that the "younger" coach to take the reins would be Shula...just that it would likely be someone, generally, younger than older.

ok thanks. either way, the stuff that's come out from Lapham doesn't seem good. 

I saw the list that the Enquirer put together, but they have no sources. Pathetic. The list was gros, btw. 

1 minute ago, whodey365 said:

I dont buy the whole poorly paid assistants. Did these assistants not sign contracts? The money was right when they signed but now after two poor seasons they're treated unfair? 

Yeah, this doesn’t pass the smell test for me, either. I bet assistants, based on their title and responsibility, basically receive slotted, relatively industry-determined amounts.

33 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Why is Marvin denying the ESPN report? It's not like they just made something up, Schefter is too good a journalist for that. Perhaps this info wasn't supposed to get out until after the season.

Just caught the local half time news in the Battle of the Quiffs and they said Marvin is now saying he has not made a decision.

WTF?

Would leak that the word got out too soon, like a couple weeks too soon.'

If Marvin was not re signed to a new contract, fine.

If Marvin retires, fine.

But to announce his resignation, meaning that he quits, with three games left

and is seeking other employment is absolute shit.

That's walking out on the players.  

And Mike Brown (and Katie).  We know how much Mike values loyalty and how much

he has defended abd deflected shut from Marv and now Marv quits before the season

is over.

Maybe it is to audition someone on the staff.  Which would be OK.

But "I quit to look elsewhere, fuck you guys" ,,, pretty bad,

I hope Marvin did resign with three weeks to go. If Mike Brown really cared about Marvin and loyalty he'd have stopped being such a cheap bastard and let him build a franchise. (he did to some degree, but still).

If, after 15 years of being shafted by the boss, building a winning team only to see all the key components (receivers other than AJ, some O line players) be shoved out the door, wouldn't you want to tell your boss to fuck himself? How can you do that if you leave after the regular season when precisely nobody is paying attention to anyone but the chosen few playoff teams? Do it now when there is a little bit of spotlight on our hated small market team.

I don't even think that's what Marvin has done. He usually isn't that cagey about big decisions. But if it was me that's what I'd do. I did all I could, the owner shafted me time and again, eventually enough is enough.

how the ownership proceeds ought to tell us all a fan needs to know about current speculation. But I fear it's as all suspect and MB is the cheap bastard that is controlling this. Scary thing is now MB can rationalize, I tried it Marvin's way and that failed. Might as well stick to my way.

This had to happen. Despite whatever else has gone down, Marvin lost me forever with the Pittsburgh wild card loss, and more specifically the Jeremy Hill fumble. His, "I shouldn't have to", response when asked if he stressed ball security to the team on that play was my final nail. Honestly, I was VERY over him before that, but after that loss, and that comment, I went from being fairly rabid in my support of the team, to kinda just checking in to see if anything had changed. That game was essentially over. The 0-6 playoff curse was finally gonna be lifted from him, in dramatic late game fashion, and against a team we all despise more than evil itself. After the Burfict pick any novice football fan could calculate that a turnover was the Stealers only chance. A first down and we could start taking knees. A touchdown would've been a dagger through their heart. But in no way can you risk losing the ball to do it. It sure didn't look to me like all eleven men on our side of the ball we're on that page, especially Hill. He should've been pushing for yards behind a wall of beef, not screaming into the Steeler secondary alone with the football. They didn't even have to burn a timeout to get the ball back. I was very curious wether Marvin even told Jeremy to protect the ball or wether Hill defied him trying to be a hero. Marvin's "I shouldn't have to" response made it pretty clear. Now we've been fairly lackluster for two years and we've progressed to "It's not my responsibility to motivate my players." Time to go.

3 hours ago, A Rock said:

This had to happen. Despite whatever else has gone down, Marvin lost me forever with the Pittsburgh wild card loss, and more specifically the Jeremy Hill fumble. His, "I shouldn't have to", response when asked if he stressed ball security to the team on that play was my final nail. Honestly, I was VERY over him before that, but after that loss, and that comment, I went from being fairly rabid in my support of the team, to kinda just checking in to see if anything had changed. That game was essentially over. The 0-6 playoff curse was finally gonna be lifted from him, in dramatic late game fashion, and against a team we all despise more than evil itself. After the Burfict pick any novice football fan could calculate that a turnover was the Stealers only chance. A first down and we could start taking knees. A touchdown would've been a dagger through their heart. But in no way can you risk losing the ball to do it. It sure didn't look to me like all eleven men on our side of the ball we're on that page, especially Hill. He should've been pushing for yards behind a wall of beef, not screaming into the Steeler secondary alone with the football. They didn't even have to burn a timeout to get the ball back. I was very curious wether Marvin even told Jeremy to protect the ball or wether Hill defied him trying to be a hero. Marvin's "I shouldn't have to" response made it pretty clear. Now we've been fairly lackluster for two years and we've progressed to "It's not my responsibility to motivate my players." Time to go.

Agree with all of this.

It showed more in Marv’s coaching these past two years than ever before that he didn’t think much was “his responsibility.”

If he’s that over doing the basic coaching functions, frankly, he’s clearly over coaching at all.

1 hour ago, VonBlade said:

What? Do you guys honestly think he needs to tell an NFL RB to look after the ball? This isn't fucking pee-wee football. Look after the ball is #1, #2 and #3 on the list of things to do as a back.

This is true, but it wasn't the first quarter against the Dolphins in September. It definitely was his job to asses the situation and make sure his team knew the dynamics and priorities of the final 90 seconds. The promised land of a playoff victory against the dreaded Stealers was at hand. The air was electric and the crowd in a frenzy. Yes, you need to remind your back that looking after the ball is now more than #1, #2, and #3. It is everything because of the situation. That play certainly didn't look like it was run by a team that had been calmed down and focused despite the adrenaline of the moment. Quite the opposite after Burfict, et al, finally finished running up and down the tunnel gloriously, if not somewhat stupidly, prematurely celebrating what should have been the game winning pick.

35 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Hey, you gotta laugh.

Marvin fucked up the timing of his own resignation.

Hysterically ironic considering how well he managed timing issues on the field with clock management, two minute drill, blown time outs.

Its only fitting.

The Bengals had a two minute drill? 

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Marv lost me years ago when he said the fans "just need to be loud on Sundays", implying we shouldn't concern ourselves or have an opinion about actual football matters.  He can go shove it up his ass in the mansion the fans bought for him.

I agree.

He has always had an asshole mentality.

At first I thought it was just him dealing with the media, but it's not.

I have a relative who works at the country club, where he is a member.

He told me he is the biggest ass and always thinks he is better than everyone else.

On that note he did say former Reds first baseman Paul O'Neill was a really cool dude, even after he spilled his drink on him.

Marvin Lewis is a garbage NFL coach. Yes, he helped wedge the Bengals out of the 90's and he seemed to be able to force the old bald skinflint to spend a dollar or two. But, at the end of the day he's had more than enough talent on many rosters to make a significant playoff run and he's shit the bed repeatedly. I'm glad he appears to be on his way out. A spot in the Bengals head office is where he should have gone years ago. See you later asshole. Not sorry to see you go. 

6 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Marvin Lewis is a garbage NFL coach. Yes, he helped wedge the Bengals out of the 90's and he seemed to be able to force the old bald skinflint to spend a dollar or two. But, at the end of the day he's had more than enough talent on many rosters to make a significant playoff run and he's shit the bed repeatedly. I'm glad he appears to be on his way out. A spot in the Bengals head office is where he should have gone years ago. See you later asshole. Not sorry to see you go. 

Marvin was not an elite coach, but he was better than most.

He deserves extra c4edit for what he accomplished here because he was coaching with a handicap.  Pretty much every other coach in the league could get at least one good free agent when he needed help pushing a roster over the hump.  Marvin never got that help.

Marvin would have had a better record coaching with another team, and most coaches with records similiar to Marvins would have done much worse here.

Archived