Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
High School Harry

If Lewis Out, Shouldn't Andy Follow?

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, CincyInDC said:

You sound like fucking clickbait, Fred.

In the '88 postseason Boomer threw for 115.7 yards per game.  He completed 45% of his passes for 1 td and 3 ints.  His passer rating was 48.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Dalton is the biggest problem. The obvious answer is Mike Brown.

 

Having said that, if the new coach wants a new QB, they SHOULD be allowed to get one. 

 

Its risky. You could fall into a spiral like Cleveland or the Jets. At the same time, if the new coaching staff believes they have found the next Carson Palmer (In his prime), isn’t that worth the risk?

 

Having that QB can cover up a lot of flaws on your team. Look at what Palmer accomplished in 05 with an abysmal defense. 

 

Just think about how we would feel right now if we’d have drafted Deshaun Watson instead of Ross. The outlook would be rosier. 

 

Dalton has 7 TD’s and 10 INT’s in 7 games against teams with a winning record this season. He’s not exactly elevating anyone. 

 

I used to be Andy’s biggest fan, but I’m ready to try and find something better, even if it means risking falling to the bottom. As it stands, we’re picking in the top 10 with him. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

People who think this way believe the only way to win the SB is to get Tom Brady 2.0, and the only way to do it is draft a first round QB every year until you have him.  They think in terms of Madden (video game) results rather than real life.

 

Case in point...

 

 

Andy Dalton can win you a SB - if you figure out how to get his mentality straight.  The only thing between him and a playoff win has been his own mind.  That can be true for any QB no matter how talented they are, and it's a lot harder to fix than a drop step or a release point.  There is a small handful of QBs that can will a team to a win, and several teams have won a SB without one.  Hell, if we had such a guy and the rest of the team stunk, these same people would likely complain that the guy is keeping us from a better draft pick (see guys like Rivers, who always buys the Chargers more wins than they deserve).

I don’t really understand this.

If my QB has a losing mentality (or whatever you define it as) why would the fans want to keep him?

 

i don’t think anyone here would be mad at our QB for being too good. People loved Carson here until the arm talent started to fall behind the turnovers. Was it all Carson’s fault? Nope. Would the team have been better off with him staying and Marvin leaving in 2010? I’d say probably so. Carson to A.J. would have been pretty sick for a few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I don’t really understand this.

If my QB has a losing mentality (or whatever you define it as) why would the fans want to keep him?

 

i don’t think anyone here would be mad at our QB for being too good. People loved Carson here until the arm talent started to fall behind the turnovers. Was it all Carson’s fault? Nope. Would the team have been better off with him staying and Marvin leaving in 2010? I’d say probably so. Carson to A.J. would have been pretty sick for a few years. 

Well, first off, I wasn't speaking about the type of fan who wants to simply give a guy a chance and once given, figures it's time to move on - I'm talking about the type who expect the team to keep switching QB's until they get the HOF-calibre guy, EVERY YEAR, regardless of what the team does.  To speak to your point, a couple poor performances in playoff games doesn't exactly equate to "this guy sucks and he'll never get it".  Okay, it does for some people, but when your QB performs well in the regular season it's worth it to see if he improves his playoff performance IMO (and as others have said, most of the time it wasn't "just him").  I also wouldn't call it a "losing" mentality, he got nervous - it happens.  I'm not going to sit here and make excuses for Andy all day, the dude is paid handsomely to win football games.  If a fan genuinely believes Andy doesn't have what it takes to win a playoff game, then of course they should want to move on - but that's simply an opinion.  I for one blame the coaches for each and every playoff loss.  I think only two of those games demonstrated a proper level of preparation and none of them demonstrated a keen sense of matching up to your opponent in-game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Well, first off, I wasn't speaking about the type of fan who wants to simply give a guy a chance and once given, figures it's time to move on - I'm talking about the type who expect the team to keep switching QB's until they get the HOF-calibre guy, EVERY YEAR, regardless of what the team does.  To speak to your point, a couple poor performances in playoff games doesn't exactly equate to "this guy sucks and he'll never get it".  Okay, it does for some people, but when your QB performs well in the regular season it's worth it to see if he improves his playoff performance IMO (and as others have said, most of the time it wasn't "just him").  I also wouldn't call it a "losing" mentality, he got nervous - it happens.  I'm not going to sit here and make excuses for Andy all day, the dude is paid handsomely to win football games.  If a fan genuinely believes Andy doesn't have what it takes to win a playoff game, then of course they should want to move on - but that's simply an opinion.  I for one blame the coaches for each and every playoff loss.  I think only two of those games demonstrated a proper level of preparation and none of them demonstrated a keen sense of matching up to your opponent in-game.

I agree with you.

I’n ready to try and move on, but that’s me. 

Wouldnt it be pretty cool to have a coaching staff next year that makes adjustments as the game goes on?

BTW, how crazy is it that the bengals have not attempted a 50 yard FG this year? 

They kept a kicker who they don’t trust to kick from 50 yards out. 

Clueless coaching staff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If McCarron is ours’ next season, we should have a quarterback derby in camp. It’s pretty simple, don’t simply anoint Andy off the bat, let’s see if a little friendly fire-lighting doesn’t change things much. One would have to believe after seasons of toiling on the bench, McCarron will be ready for it. Competition breeds something...?

 

Also, jettisoning Andy just ‘cause is the stupidest thing I have read on this board in awhile, and that’s saying something, yet, it persists. Andy, not so dissimilarly from other quarterbacks, needs good play from his line. Generally, when he’s bad, he’s never given any time to throw the ball. Also, give the guy a fucking running game. With guys like Mixon and Bernard (and even Hill) unable to produce basically at all, all season, teams KNOWING you’re passing 65-70% of the time, you’re screwed.

 

The problem with the Bengals ain’t Andy Dalton, it’s systemic, and, thank Jesus it’s almost over. I look forward to finding out who Paul Alexander’s replacement is just as much, if not a touch more than I care about who replaces Bozo the Claphappy denier.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, schotzee said:

Boomer was as leader on the field though.

 

14 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Absolutely.  People often forget how important that attribute is.

Boomer's record when playing with the leagues #1 rushing team.....12- 4  .750

Boomer's record the rest of his career............................................68-89 .433

 

Funny how he was only a great leader when he was playing with an elite running game.

 

Dalton has lead his teams to wins at a much higher rate (.579) than Esiason did (.462).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

BTW, how crazy is it that the bengals have not attempted a 50 yard FG this year? 

They kept a kicker who they don’t trust to kick from 50 yards out. 

Clueless coaching staff. 

I don't recall a single time that we passed on a 50+ yard FG in order to punt or go for it on 4th down.

 

Maybe I have forgotten, or maybe we just have some clueless fans..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Wouldnt it be pretty cool to have a coaching staff next year that makes adjustments as the game goes on?

 

The Bengals do make in game adjustments.  The players and coaches talk about them all the time.  Even the members here complain about them.

 

Wouldn't it be pretty cool to have more people around here who know what they atre talking about.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

 

 

Funny how he was only a great leader when he was playing with an elite running game.

 

 

That elite running game didn't do much for the team in 1997 . Boomers final year.He was lighting it up quite well with a putrid team after he took over. I guess Corey Dillon ran like shit on purpose while Blake was in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

The Bengals do make in game adjustments.  The players and coaches talk about them all the time.  Even the members here complain about them.

 

Wouldn't it be pretty cool to have more people around here who know what they atre talking about.

I'm pretty sure that he mans adjustments with a positive results. They obviously have shit the bed all season in the 2nd half. If you know what you're talking about, you would acknowledge it instead of using semantics.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

The Bengals do make in game adjustments.  The players and coaches talk about them all the time.  Even the members here complain about them.

 

Wouldn't it be pretty cool to have more people around here who know what they atre talking about.

I don’t think there’s much need to respond to you.

 

You’re a troll. 

 

Id be more than happy to hear about what those adjustments are. Please list them for me. You seem to be in the know. I just have a slight suspicion that it’s one of those declarations that you love to make based upon nothing.

 

my declaration is based upon their performance with this current coaching staff after halftime and Marvin coming out and saying that half-time adjustments are merely things that the media talks about. 

 

I wonder what yours is based on though. 

Did the Bengals our score the Chiefs in the second half in September of 2015?

 

There doesn’t seem to be a low point for you. You just keep finding new levels and ways to embarrass yourself, Galileo. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

The Bengals do make in game adjustments.  The players and coaches talk about them all the time.  Even the members here complain about them.

 

Wouldn't it be pretty cool to have more people around here who know what they atre talking about.

The Bengals average 11.1 PPG in the first half which is 17th in the league. They average 5.6 PPG in the second half which is dead last. Please explain these second half adjustments to the people who don't know what they're talking about.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

The Bengals average 11.1 PPG in the first half which is 17th in the league. They average 5.6 PPG in the second half which is dead last. Please explain these second half adjustments to the people who don't know what they're talking about.

Lol. As Hooky alluded , there seems to be some confusion with the "adjustments" argument. Most of us prefer positive, not negative result adjustments.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Lol. As Hooky alluded , there seems to be some confusion with the "adjustments" argument. Most of us prefer positive, not negative result adjustments.

If somebody posted that stealer fans never bathe, Fred would rabidly reply that they don't know what they're talking about. Since most of them probably bathe once or twice a month.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

 

Id be more than happy to hear about what those adjustments are. Please list them for me. You seem to be in the know. I just have a slight suspicion that it’s one of those declarations that you love to make based upon nothing.

 

 

 

 

There doesn’t seem to be a low point for you. You just keep finding new levels and ways to embarrass yourself, Galileo. 

 

 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Guenther-calls-it-unacceptable/a2bffd2a-4654-49fe-9c25-fa685e17341b

 

Guenther said. “We made some adjustments at halftime that helped out. It's all part of it."

 

 

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/story-bengals-season-come-short/UV4beqRn9b09K8c7piEi6O/

 

“We’ve got to come out there and make things happen,” tackle Jake Fisher said. “We’ve got to do things with our talents that we’re paid to do and get it done. It’s not whether our adjustments are good or bad. It’s us executing things.”

 

 

https://scout.com/nfl/browns/Article/AFC-North-Roundup-New-Role-for-Andy-Dalton-in-Cincinnati-Ravens-Injury-Mysteries-Stealers-To-75023478

 

This is why Dalton won’t just be an observer on Sunday but an active participant in the quarterback’s—and the team’s—preparations and in-game adjustments. He needs to set up his team to win much as he would if he was on the field.

 

 

http://www.lohud.com/story/blogs/2014/11/19/bengals-notes-dalton-heading-home-mccarron-works-more/19295355/

 

"They were a little different last week against Cleveland than they were when Ryan (Fitzpatrick) was playing quarterback for them," said Lewis. "We're going to have to, you know, see what the day brings and adjust on the move. That's part of NFL football each and every week. "

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hooky said:

If somebody posted that stealer fans never bathe, Fred would rabidly reply that they don't know what they're talking about. Since most of them probably bathe once or twice a month.

Lol.And so what if it's not a bathtub they are bathing in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am to the point now Andy Must go and if 35 Yards is what they can MUSTARD up on the field in 2QTRS then we need to start looking to replacing the majority of our offense.  The players do not respond with overwhelming enthusiasm with Andy Dalton, sorry they just don't, seen it too many times during the games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, schotzee said:

Lol.And so what if it's not a bathtub they are bathing in.

Right. Even if it's in their own piss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Marlon23 said:

I am to the point now Andy Must go and if 35 Yards is what they can MUSTARD up on the field in 2QTRS then we need to start looking to replacing the majority of our offense.  The players do not respond with overwhelming enthusiasm with Andy Dalton, sorry they just don't, seen it too many times during the games.

Your posts are so out there, even Fred won't argue with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

The Bengals average 11.1 PPG in the first half which is 17th in the league. They average 5.6 PPG in the second half which is dead last. Please explain these second half adjustments to the people who don't know what they're talking about.

 

15 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Lol. As Hooky alluded , there seems to be some confusion with the "adjustments" argument. Most of us prefer positive, not negative result adjustments.

 

 

-In Marvins 14 full seasons as their head coach ('03-'16) the Bengals rank 14th in the league in points scored.  They have finished in the top 10 five times, and in the top half of the league 9 times.

 

-Over the same period they rank 18th in third quarter scoring.  They have finished in the top 10 five times and in the top half of the league 8 times.

 

-In second half scoring they rank 20th.  They have finished in the top 10 five times and in the top half of the league 8 times.

 

These numbers seem to indicate that the Bengals do score slightly less in the third quarter and second half, but the difference is negligible.  All this squealing about "no adjustments" is just a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

 

Marvin NEVER said that the team does not make in game adjustments.  He was just making a general statement about how adjustments are not all about play calling and scheme but instead often about execution.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Go-Bengals.com on Facebook

Go-Bengals.com on Twitter

×