If Lewis Out, Shouldn't Andy Follow?

Statistics prove that during the Marv Era, the Bengals have won something like 98% of the games they were in when they were ahead at the final gun

and not only that, but they lost about 96% of the games when they were behind at the end.  Not counting ties.  My math could be wrong but I'm

close.  Furthermore, statistics prove that Andy's completion rate varies depending on if the receiver catches the ball, holds on to it cleanly and has both,

not one, but both, feet in bounds securely holding the ball.  Yep.  And statistics back me up.  You can look it up.

8 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

So because the coaches say they make adjustments then that must be true and we've had good offenses in the past so no changes needed. Let's just bring it all back next year. Thanks for the clarification. 

No one said this.

This is what always happens.  I call someone out on a blatant lie and the only response is a bunch of strawmen quotes that no one ever said.

So let me make this as simple as possible.  The Bengals coaching staff does make adjustments at halftime and all through the game.  the people who claim that they don't are stupid.  In fact some of the same people who claim the Bengals never make any changes are the same one who claim that Marvin does make changes when he has a lead in the second half.

But just because they make adjustments does not mean everything is fine and we don't need to make changes.  Maybe this example will help.

"Marvin Lewis has to be fired because he ass rapes children in the showers at halftime."

"Uh, there is no proof that this ever happened."

"Oh, I see...Marvin never ass rapes children so therefore he is the greatest coach in the league and he is going to lead us to multiple Super Bowl Championships, right?"

29 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Statistics prove that during the Marv Era, the Bengals have won something like 98% of the games they were in when they were ahead at the final gun

and not only that, but they lost about 96% of the games when they were behind at the end.  Not counting ties.  My math could be wrong but I'm

close.  Furthermore, statistics prove that Andy's completion rate varies depending on if the receiver catches the ball, holds on to it cleanly and has both,

not one, but both, feet in bounds securely holding the ball.  Yep.  And statistics back me up.  You can look it up.

Statistics can be twisted to prove anything.  I don't care what the statistics say I know what I see with my own eyes, and what I see is the Bengals losing a lot of games when they were ahead at the final gun.

Stats are for trolls.  I know what I see, and if anyone on a message board agrees with me then that means it is the truth.

You are just a troll.

I'm a liar now? What did I lie about? I posted stats showing that even if they are making adjustments they're clearly not good ones. You posted a bunch of quotes from coaches and players talking about adjustments and a bunch of offensive stats showing we were good in years past. Not sure how that was relevant but I thanked you for your clarification. I don't know why you felt the need to personally attack me or to start talking about child rape. I've been nothing but cordial to you. 

18 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I'm a liar now? What did I lie about? I posted stats showing that even if they are making adjustments they're clearly not good ones. You posted a bunch of quotes from coaches and players talking about adjustments and a bunch of offensive stats showing we were good in years past. Not sure how that was relevant but I thanked you for your clarification. I don't know why you felt the need to personally attack me or to start talking about child rape. I've been nothing but cordial to you. 

What you did was create a strawman and put words in my mouth that I never said.

Sorry if it upsets you but I am going to point this out every time you do it.

PSA...

For those of you who continue to feed the troll and then quote the troll...

He went to law school... do you need to know anything more about why the troll posts like he does?

A fucking lawyer... figures.

Now PLEASE quit quoting him, I have him on ignore for a reason.

4 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

PSA...

He went to law school... do you need to know anything more about why the troll posts like he does?

I love how the people who claim they are "ignoring" me actually obsess over me and make more posts about me than they do football.

I don't think they know what the term "ignore" means.

33 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

What you did was create a strawman and put words in my mouth that I never said.

Sorry if it upsets you but I am going to point this out every time you do it.

This is too rich. 

Your entire post history is full of straw man arguments. 

the last two seasons, the Bengals rank 27th and 32nd in points scored after halftime. 

Once again, I don’t care how the team fared while the Iraq war was in its infancy. Provide that useless garbage to those who still believe that you’re not a bumbling fool. 

47 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

PSA...

^  Listen to this man before he keel-hauls you each individually.   Many of you don't even live near an ocean and the cost of barnacles alone would be inconvenient. 

48 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Ok I understand where you're coming from I just don't agree. My apologies for putting words in your mouth. Was not my intention. 

And I apologize for using the term "lie".  A lot of inaccurate information is tossed around here because some people believe it is true.

But the people who claim that any NFL team does not make in game adjustments can't really believe that is true.

18 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Once again, I don’t care how the team fared while the Iraq war was in its infancy.

So is that why you never remark about Marvin Lewis's overall career record?

Oh, wait, never mind.  I get it now. Marvin's entire career record is important when you want to use it to make a point, but it is strictly verboten when it counters your argument.

42 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

So is that why you never remark about Marvin Lewis's overall career record?

Oh, wait, never mind.  I get it now. Marvin's entire career record is important when you want to use it to make a point, but it is strictly verboten when it counters your argument.

Not sure when I do that. He’s over .500, so I’m not sure why that would be a relevant talking point. But go on. 

I believe Marvin is a buffoon for how he’s coached during the Dalton/Green era. 

I dont say much about his time with Palmer. 

I think from 03-06 he was pretty damn good. Almost like a different person. 

7 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Boomer's record when playing with the leagues #1 rushing team.....12- 4  .750

Boomer's record the rest of his career............................................68-89 .433

Funny how he was only a great leader when he was playing with an elite running game.

Dalton has lead his teams to wins at a much higher rate (.579) than Esiason did (.462).

Doesn't .750+.433/2= .592?

5 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I posted stats showing that even if they are making adjustments they're clearly not good ones. 

Nail, meet head. The outcomes of the games speak for themselves. Whatever adjustments the Bengals make, they suck. Remember the Jets playoff game? The one where Cedric Benson was a god among boys with over 8 YPC? Then we got behind a score, panicked, and threw the ball over the yard instead of going back to the well of what was working. That is typical of Bengals football. Marvin is also way too conservative in the second halves of games, playing to protect a lead rather than risk trying to increase it. We've seen this over, and over and over again. The most recent Steelers game is a perfect example.

You know how they say that offenses generally run a script in the first few series? The Bengals are really, really good at doing that. They should stick to that for the entire game rather than trying to outthink themselves.

18 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Nail, meet head. The outcomes of the games speak for themselves. Whatever adjustments the Bengals make, they suck. Remember the Jets playoff game? The one where Cedric Benson was a god among boys with over 8 YPC? Then we got behind a score, panicked, and threw the ball over the yard instead of going back to the well of what was working. That is typical of Bengals football. Marvin is also way too conservative in the second halves of games, playing to protect a lead rather than risk trying to increase it. We've seen this over, and over and over again. The most recent Stealers game is a perfect example.

You know how they say that offenses generally run a script in the first few series? The Bengals are really, really good at doing that. They should stick to that for the entire game rather than trying to outthink themselves.

I remember it well, and you're right.  I've thought the same thing about the script, but I imagine the reason you get away from it *generally* is when the opponent starts to defend against what you're doing.  What I've seen Marvin-era OC's do is stop doing the things that work regardless of whether the opponent can stop it, which is beyond crazy.

For me the worst thing about the Marvin era is the sticking to an identity they didn't have.  "We're a power running team which allows us to throw over the top".  Ok, so when you can't run at all or at best are doing the "3 yards and a cloud of dust", what are you really?  A team that can't run it and desperately tries to throw the long ball over defenses that are ready for it.  The best I've seen this team play offense under Marvin is using the no-huddle.  Especially the one year with Palmer, they would simply dominate when they did it, but every single time Marvin would get steam coming out of his ears that it wasn't "how we play", you need to run the ball and wear down their defense and keep ours off the field, blah blah.  Let's not do what's working to force an identity, right?  Let's not run up the score and deal with fatigue later, that's what Super Bowl dynasties do is all.  

smh

7 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

I remember it well, and you're right.  I've thought the same thing about the script, but I imagine the reason you get away from it *generally* is when the opponent starts to defend against what you're doing.  What I've seen Marvin-era OC's do is stop doing the things that work regardless of whether the opponent can stop it, which is beyond crazy.

For me the worst thing about the Marvin era is the sticking to an identity they didn't have.  "We're a power running team which allows us to throw over the top".  Ok, so when you can't run at all or at best are doing the "3 yards and a cloud of dust", what are you really?  A team that can't run it and desperately tries to throw the long ball over defenses that are ready for it.  The best I've seen this team play offense under Marvin is using the no-huddle.  Especially the one year with Palmer, they would simply dominate when they did it, but every single time Marvin would get steam coming out of his ears that it wasn't "how we play", you need to run the ball and wear down their defense and keep ours off the field, blah blah.  Let's not do what's working to force an identity, right?  Let's not run up the score and deal with fatigue later, that's what Super Bowl dynasties do is all.  

smh

Keep chopping wood, Keep digging, and whatever else stupid gay assed mantras Marvin dreamed up for t-shirts. It's really disconcerting to me. Marvin was allowed to build a winner, and had it in the palm of his hand AT LEAST two times in a playoff game, and the team floundered and lost. I'm uncertain as to how you don't blame him, and by proxy, his assistants. How does a top 5 defense cave like that? How does Dalton and company fail so miserably in playoff/primetime/meaningful games, especially ones where we led at the half? That's gotta be coaching. Even pros need motivation.

Archived