Marv Bungled the Message

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/12/20/how-cincinnati-bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-bungled-his-message/970439001/

How Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis bungled his message

Jim Owczarski, jowczarski@enquirer.comPublished 3:27 p.m. ET Dec. 20, 2017

Few six-minute, one-mile rides have had as much impact on a football team than the one the Cincinnati Bengals’ team buses made from their hotel in downtown Minneapolis to U.S. Bank Stadium Sunday afternoon.

In that brief window, ESPN’s national NFL reporter Adam Schefter – an industry heavyweight known for breaking insider news, reported definitively that Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis was going to step away from the team after the season to pursue other opportunities.

On the buses phones of players, coaches and staff pinged and buzzed with notifications of the news first on social media, and then with text messages. Players showed one another and began talking about it.

Not everyone on the 53-man roster saw the news immediately. Many were immersed in their pregame routines, and it was a short trip. But it shortly spread through the entire locker room. If a player didn’t know getting off the bus, he found out as the team began getting ready to play the Vikings.

In his postgame press conference Sunday, Lewis quipped that players didn’t see it on their phones because “these guys are on their phones with somebody that’s not watching or has anything to do with the NFL.”

That was not the case.

Lewis also said he didn’t hear about it on the bus. Which may be true, but he definitely knew it was out once he hit the field for warmups as multiple team staff members approached him about it.

By the time the team collected itself in the locker room before hitting the field, it was a sizeable elephant in the room.

But it wasn’t so much what the message was. Every player knew Lewis’ contract was up and there was a question about his future.

“I feel like ever since I’ve been here, that’s kind of been the thing – outside sources saying Marvin is going to leave,” corner Darqueze Dennard said postgame. “That’s been here. This is my fourth year, so ain’t no telling how long it’s been going on. Ever since I’ve been here that’s been the word but obviously, he’s still out here coaching.”

The problem for the team was how the message was delivered.

Or rather, not delivered.

“It doesn’t matter to me, that’s just the person I am – I’m pretty sure it matters to some other guys having that come out before the game and not having him address that, which is his decision,” Bengals seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green said Tuesday.

“But I know some guys probably didn’t take as well, him not addressing it before the game. We all have social media. We all know what’s going on. So I’m pretty sure some guys felt some kind of way about the situation. But at the end of the day, we’re professionals we have to play this game of football that we get paid for.”

It is true that not every player cared in the moment. Many remained focused on their job Sunday. But Green did have his finger on the pulse of some. And several veterans The Enquirer spoke to especially felt it was the least Lewis could do, rather than leave it to the players and assistants to work through it right before kickoff.

Lewis told reporters after the 34-7 loss to the Vikings that he addressed it after the game, which he did – but the message was to ignore “reports” and that it wasn’t true.  

“He just mentioned it,” quarterback Andy Dalton said Sunday. “I think at the end of the day we just have to keep playing. That’s all that was really said.”

Some players, like Green, didn’t hear that address because they were in the throes of getting undressed. Or, some simply didn’t care to hear it.

“Right. Right. Exactly” Green said. “Especially when you’re losing, you’re losing like that. It’s kind of tough.”

In his postgame press conference, Lewis denied on two occasions that the report was inaccurate. He then tried to tie it loosely to the Monday night football broadcast on ESPN in which the announcing team of Sean McDonough and Jon Gruden said they felt Lewis was ready to move on following their pregame production meetings.

But immediately following the ESPN report on Sunday the NFL Network – a league-owned outlet – and its national insider Ian Rapoport sent out two tweets that backed up ESPN’s report and said Lewis felt at peace with his situation and planned a move to a front office.

Rapoport tweeted: “When I discussed his future with Lewis last night, he told me being a GM is “something I would listen to.” Both sides seem at peace with a new start.”

Once back in Cincinnati, Lewis continued to deny the report’s accuracy to the media and to Bengals players and staff.

The Enquirer spoke to nine members of the organization and none have believed that message. And despite Lewis’ pleas to the local media on Monday to let the issue “die down,” it’s something that remains a topic of conversation and thought in the locker room.

The Bengals play their final home game of 2017 on Sunday, and it is likely Lewis’ last in 15 years. Instead of getting a proper send-off for helping to rebuild the franchise and posting a career winning record as the most successful coach in franchise history, all parties are left twisting in the wind about his future until the season officially comes to a close on Dec. 31 in Baltimore.

I feel like the only people who care about the message are the media. 

What does it do for the fans if Marvin was to say he was leaving now, instead of January 2nd?

This whole article seems more about the local media upset that Marvin has never given them anything in 15 years. 

At the same time the local media has never held Marvin’s feet to the fire for his performance, and they continue to handle press conferences as if he’s their boss, so both parties can go suck a railroad spike. 

18 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I feel like the only people who care about the message are the media. 

What does it do for the fans if Marvin was to say he was leaving now, instead of January 2nd?

This whole article seems more about the local media upset that Marvin has never given them anything in 15 years. 

At the same time the local media has never held Marvin’s feet to the fire for his performance, and they continue to handle press conferences as if he’s their boss, so both parties can go suck a railroad spike. 

It's very likely that some of the players weren't/aren't too thrilled with the situation either.

I honestly don't care if the media is pissed about it, I'm more concerned with the players that it bothered (with good reason for it to bother them).

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

It's very likely that some of the players weren't/aren't too thrilled with the situation either.

I honestly don't care if the media is pissed about it, I'm more concerned with the players that it bothered (with good reason for it to bother them).

IDK, are there players on the team who honestly believed he was coming back? As Dunlap noted, when you have the record that you have, things don’t often stay the same. 

As far as him not communicating with them beforehand, when has anyone in this organization been good at communicating? From the outside, it seems to be their biggest weakness. I’d think people are used to that by now. 

2 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

IDK, are there players on the team who honestly believed he was coming back? As Dunlap noted, when you have the record that you have, things don’t often stay the same. 

As far as him not communicating with them beforehand, when has anyone in this organization been good at communicating? From the outside, it seems to be their biggest weakness. I’d think people are used to that by now. 

This.

If there were players that felt this was out of left field, they're just in a little denial. AJ Green's comments tell me everything I thought I knew: a star player's perspective that is decidedly indifferent on the matter of Marvin's tenure coming to a close. On this team, I still see a pretty decent desire, on the part of the players, to win games...to ultimately win at the next level. Marvin and Co. aren't delivering them to the next level...in fact, they are going to have consecutive losing seasons after being close to succeeding at that next level. Most of that locker room probably hungers for a change to see if they can't ultimately succeed where they have failed under the current regime. Plus, a lot of these guys know they are right in the middle of their best years and the window will start closing soon. They know the time to strike is now or never.

Archived