William Jackson III statistics

We all know we found a gem in WJIII but how good has he really been?

CATCHES - YARDS - TDs - SNAPS

3 - 25 - 0 : 29 D snaps (44%)

0 - 0 - 0 : DNP on D

2 - 45 - 0 : 14 D snaps (20%) + the pick 6

3 - 51 - 0 : 47 D snaps (72%)

1 - 9 - 0 : 64 D snaps (91%)

BYE

1 - 3 - 0 : 59 D snaps (86%)

0 - 0 - 0 : 41 D snaps (55%)

1 - 1 - 0 : 38 D snaps (48%)

1 - 9 - 0 : 31 D snaps (34%) + 1 sack

0 - 0 - 0 : DNP

0 - 0 - 0 : 47 D snaps (67%)

2 - 5 - 0 : 61 D snaps (92%)

1 - 3 - 0 : 73 D snaps (96%)

0 - 0 - 0 : 60 D snaps (90%)

WJIII has been targeted 34 times on the year. 15 of those passes have been caught (44.1% catch rate) for a total of 151 yards and ZERO TDs. He's played 564 defensive snaps (55.8%) on the season as our primary boundary corner. It's actually just absurd how well he's played in coverage since week 6 with 6 catches given up for 21 yards over those 8 games played. It would be considered a good game if a CB gave up that statline in a single game. Obviously he isn't going to play like this for 10 straight years or anything, but these are first ballot HOF numbers from Jackson this season. I know this year sucks for Bengals fans but it's always good to look at the bright spots of the future sometimes.

I'm definitely glad that we took Jackson to force the Stealers to go with Artie Burns with their next pick. Burns is worse in coverage, isn't a much better tackler, and has been flagged for 20 penalties for 234 yards (with 6 more penalties declined or offsetting FWIW) between 2016 and 2017. For reference, people complain about Dre Kirk's penalties and he's had 15 for 202 yards (+1 declined) over the same time frame. Jackson has 7 accepted penalties on him (+1 declined) for 52 yards this year.

We got a keeper here ladies and gents. When 3 catches for 51 yards is by far your worst game of the season, you know you're in very, very good shape.

3 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

My personal eyeball statistics focus on how poor of a tackler he is.

The deal with not shoving the guy out of bounds who was right in front of him

giving up a touchdown is ... pretty bad.  Especially considering that he's a first

round draft choice.

He explained what happened there.  With all the penalties he didn't want to risk another one, he thought Bell was out.  That said, he does need to get better at tackling. 

4 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

giving up a touchdown is ... pretty bad.  Especially considering that he's a first

round draft choice.

Ugh that play was sooooooooooooooo bad, BUT

I don't think he's a terrible tackler in general. He doesn't give up much YAC whatsoever and has been OK in run support (via my opinion and not stats).

I'd like to see OK turn into good or better next year and beyond, but hey, at least the dude is a legit shutdown corner right now. I'm far more concerned when a LB, DL, or S has issues tackling.

12 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

round draft choice.

All those Doom stats and you're pulling a Jackie Smith on him?

52 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Jackson has 7 accepted penalties on him (+1 declined) for 52 yards this year.

How many of those calls were crap? Rhetorical. Stealer fans were so pissed when we stole him. To the point that they try to pretend that Artie Burns is good and it's no big deal. That still warms my heart.

4 minutes ago, JC said:

Kid is playing as well as Lattimore but without the hype. Refreshing to know we've got us a lockdown guy.

Lattimore is a better tackler, less penalized, and has come away with more INTs and PDs.

Jackson has less YAC given up and has been targeted 16 less times on only 47 less D snaps. Jackson also has a much higher success rate than pretty much every CB in the league. In fact, he's 10-20% higher than most of the guys considered the best in the NFL right now. This stat is defined as an offense not having a "successful" play throwing at him which is 45 percent of yardage on first down, 60 percent on second down, or 100 percent on third down. Basically the yardage he's giving up isn't as "important" as others.

They're also very similar in size and athleticism. Both great players and as you said they're very close but one of them doesn't have the national hype. Anyone can take the stats with a grain of salt if they'd like, but WJIII has likely had a better year in 2017 than any other Bengals player. He's had 1 poor decision that did cost us big time, but the dude has shown up game after game otherwise. Even some of his penalties were ticky tack BS that were borderline so it's not like he has a huge problem with PI or anything.

Let's go back to the end of the 2016 season. The Bengals were out of playoff contention and instead of giving Jackson some live reps, we activated Peerman.

So, we went into the offseason with an unknown at CB. This increased the pressure to give out a top 10 contract for a lower 20 CB in Dre Kirkpatrick.

Of course, spending that money on Kirk meant that we had to let some expensive linemen go....

It's amazing how some of those little decisions at the end of one year mean your club totally sucks the next year.

16 minutes ago, Hooky said:

How many of those calls were crap? Rhetorical. Stealer fans were so pissed when we stole him. To the point that they try to pretend that Artie Burns is good and it's no big deal. That still warms my heart.

Funny you said that as I was typing out my latest response where I touched on that as well. At least 1-2 of them absolutely could have been non-calls, so I don't think the penalties are a huge issue but it's something that can be worked on I guess.

I think the most disturbing fact that I've found while digging through random statistics is this: we have 3 of the 23 most penalized CBs in the NFL lol

However, it also depends on how you look at the numbers. For example, Dre Kirk was penalized 6 times and had 1 declined. Trumaine Johnson is lower on the list with 4 penalties buuuuttt he was also flagged 4 times that were declined and 1 more that was an offsetting foul. Johnson jumps up to one of the 25 most penalized players in the league if you look at total flags, but he's not even top 25 at his position if you only look at the calls where the penalties were accepted.

Jackson is not a great tackler when it comes to the run game (not Dre Kirkpatrick bad but, not great). Having said that, all you have to do is watch him play to realize the kid is very good. The Bengals have not done overly well selecting 1st round CBs (which they do a lot) but I think they finally got one here. 

1 minute ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Jackson is not a great tackler when it comes to the run game (not Dre Kirkpatrick bad but, not great). Having said that, all you have to do is watch him play to realize the kid is very good. The Bengals have not done overly well selecting 1st round CBs (which they do a lot) but I think they finally got one here. 

Dennard looks pretty good this year too. I've been verrrrrry tough on him for a while but I can't ignore that he has been playing good slot CB in 2017. All of our other CBs could learn a thing or two about tackling from him too as IMO he's been our best tackler in the secondary.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

Dennard looks pretty good this year too. I've been verrrrrry tough on him for a while but I can't ignore that he has been playing good slot CB in 2017. All of our other CBs could learn a thing or two about tackling from him too as IMO he's been our best tackler in the secondary.

I had high hopes for Dennard coming out of the draft. Loved the pick, actually. He's been a major disappointment for me. I agree that he's developed into a great slot CB and a very good tackling CB. I think you've got to expect more from a first round pick in his fourth year. At the end of the day though, he's made solid strides this season. If he can be our "starting" slot corner, we've got two of three prime CB spots nailed down in the secondary.

44 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Let's go back to the end of the 2016 season. The Bengals were out of playoff contention and instead of giving Jackson some live reps, we activated Peerman.

So, we went into the offseason with an unknown at CB. This increased the pressure to give out a top 10 contract for a lower 20 CB in Dre Kirkpatrick.

Of course, spending that money on Kirk meant that we had to let some expensive linemen go....

It's amazing how some of those little decisions at the end of one year mean your club totally sucks the next year.

This is the part that sticks in my craw. 

Made no sense at all. Some people tried to defend that move which is insane.

Regardless, we have Dre for the long haul now. I just wish that they’d let Jackson shadow Antonio Brown. 

I miss the days of that straight man coverage with Joseph and Hall. 

28 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I think you've got to expect more from a first round pick in his fourth year.

you don't think injuries played a major part in why it took so long?

injuries aren't something he has control of after all. 

19 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

This is the part that sticks in my craw. 

Made no sense at all. Some people tried to defend that move which is insane.

1. Regardless, we have Dre for the long haul now. I just wish that they’d let Jackson shadow Antonio Brown. 

2. I miss the days of that straight man coverage with Joseph and Hall. 

1. Not necessarily, but probably. He didn't get a huge guarantee in his deal and the dead money isn't thaaaat bad if he's cut at any point after this season. If he has another bad year next season I'd look to move him and get Dennard locked up long term.

2. Or Newman - Jones with Hall in the slot even. Dre/Jackson/Dennard could be lethal if Dre plays more like 2016 than 2017 in the future.

11 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

1. Not necessarily, but probably. He didn't get a huge guarantee in his deal and the dead money isn't thaaaat bad if he's cut at any point after this season. If he has another bad year next season I'd look to move him and get Dennard locked up long term.

2. Or Newman - Jones with Hall in the slot even. Dre/Jackson/Dennard could be lethal if Dre plays more like 2016 than 2017 in the future.

What about depth? Shaw didn't look bad in his role as a rookie, but seemed exposed this year with more playing time. But I'm honestly not the best judge of CB play. 

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

What about depth? Shaw didn't look bad in his role as a rookie, but seemed exposed this year with more playing time. But I'm honestly not the best judge of CB play. 

I've always felt that people overrated Shaw. Some people talk about him like he's on par with CB2s around the league when he's just not. If we can have him on the roster as the 4th CB I'm totally fine with that, I just don't want him to be starting or seeing a lot of snaps barring injury.

14 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I've always felt that people overrated Shaw. Some people talk about him like he's on par with CB2s around the league when he's just not. If we can have him on the roster as the 4th CB I'm totally fine with that, I just don't want him to be starting or seeing a lot of snaps barring injury.

So they should try to swing a Lawson style mid-round draft steal at CB? And safety?

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Not to mention, and this is speculative on my part, how these decisions likely all bunch together and snowball. 

I don't know for sure, but I imagine this kinda decision making likely falls on Marvin. I'd love to hear others' thoughts. If this has been Marvin, maybe he wouldn't be a good GM. I was always one of the guys who thought that, despite his shitty in-game coaching and lack of specific game-planning, all could relatively be excused because of his ability to find good talent and establish a locker room environment guys wanted to be a part of. In the end, of course, his virtue ran dry and I'm left wondering how good he was even at scouting. Perhaps he has ridden Duke's coattails more than we know.

As far as Jackson, I was not bashing him for being a poor cornerback.  On the contrary.  I think he is an excellent cover and defends passes well.  Glad he's here and on the team and hope he is around for a long time to come.  Just he seems to be an arm tackler which works well and is probably the best when with receivers downfield.

As for the play not shoving Bell out, yeah, probably gun shy from the shit PI on him earlier and also in his defense, I thought he was out, too.  Apparently so did Jordan Evans who was also right there.  Everyone but the ref.  I would call it a questionable call, at best but since it was a Squeeler and one of the league prima donna, no way would we have gotten that.  If that had been a Bengal receiver, he would have been out.

And excellent comments by all.

Joyous Solstice and Dilly!  Dilly!

35 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Just guessing but I doubt Marvin has (or had) control over the roster.  Know for a fact he didn't want Chris Henry on the team & I doubt that's the only time he's been overruled. 

Don't forget just this past offseason - I can't recall if it was "reports" or Marvin himself who said that the team gave him 100% assurance they wouldn't let Whit go anywhere, and he was livid when it happened.  I believe the direct quote from Marvin was "when he left, a piece of me left with him".  Sounds like a good indicator he'd had enough already at that point.

22 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Don't forget just this past offseason - I can't recall if it was "reports" or Marvin himself who said that the team gave him 100% assurance they wouldn't let Whit go anywhere, and he was livid when it happened.  I believe the direct quote from Marvin was "when he left, a piece of me left with him".  Sounds like a good indicator he'd had enough already at that point.

Hadn't heard that myself, got a source?

Regardless I think Marvin checked out on some level 2-3 years ago.

Archived