William Jackson III statistics

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Just guessing but I doubt Marvin has (or had) control over the roster.  Know for a fact he didn't want Chris Henry on the team & I doubt that's the only time he's been overruled. 

What I CAN say for sure is that Marvin's 2011 holdout was about him having roster decisions. So, from media reports alone, since 2011, Marvin Lewis has had final say on who suits up.

That does NOT mean that Mike and Katie didn't salivate over WJIII not getting that first year of accrued experience... So, the Blackburn bright side to this is that Jackson will be an RFA when his rookie deal is up.

IMHO, this was a Mike Brown move. IMHO, probably the same shit-for-brains scheme that says "Once we win a Super Bowl.... Dynasty!"

The Bengals, can't afford a decent left tackle because they have to save money for their trophy case.

6 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Don't forget just this past offseason - I can't recall if it was "reports" or Marvin himself who said that the team gave him 100% assurance they wouldn't let Whit go anywhere, and he was livid when it happened.  I believe the direct quote from Marvin was "when he left, a piece of me left with him".  Sounds like a good indicator he'd had enough already at that point.

I believe the exact quote was:

"Clap clap smirk - Clap smirk clap - Smirk smirk  clap clap - Clap smirk."

Anyone here speak Morse code?

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Hadn't heard that myself, got a source?

Regardless I think Marvin checked out on some level 2-3 years ago.

I can't find the quote.  It doesn't sound like the kind of thing Marvin would want to get out there, so who knows really.  Multiple sources said Marvin wanted assurances they'd keep Whitworth, and that's the reason the Bengals even offered him a contract.

8 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

the Bengals even offered him a contract.

See, that's what frustrates me as a Bengal fan... Pro-Bowl left tackles aren't a dime a dozen. Like.... Marvin had to fucking force Katie's hand for her to even insult him with a lowball 1 year deal?

Mike and Katie... They're smart. They went to Ivy League schools. They won't offer an older player who is still playing at a very high level a 2-3 year deal. Because, you know, he's old. If we gave him a 3 year deal, we might have suffered for it in 2020 and had a bad season. He's going to dry up like a raisin after his 35th birthday and we won't be able to re-sign Eifert. I mean, just think of the state the team would have been in today if we had kept Terrance Newman or Reggie Nelson or Leon Hall... 

I have an Excel spreadsheet that says older players get injured more, etc... So let's get rid of Mr. Reliable for some jack-ass who hasn't been healthy for two years straight. We'll sign back the guy who was so fat he kept breaking his foot - just in case.

We might have had to cut him and be stuck with dead money. Smart people don't pay players who aren't playing. We pride ourselves on honoring contracts - so we just insult people before they ever sign one. We like to show faith in our players by offering them deals that mean we can get rid of them easily when they start to suck. And with the way your deal's structured, we think that's going to be in two years.

Smart people DO take players with problems though. It allows you to get a more talented player for the money. Of course, it means you have to make sure you have an "out"... But those are exactly the kinds of players that know they need to take those deals.

We have to keep that $10-20 Million in roll over money so that we can afford to pay our super bowl winning team so we can be a dynasty! Let's front load some contracts!

Because, you know, Mike and Katie are smart. They went to Ivy League schools. Sure, the last 40 years have been statistical outliers... They haven't seen the success that their brilliance deserves due to bad luck. Injuries, suspensions, deaths... But pretty soon now, reality is going to stop messing with the algorithm and you'll see a Lombardi Trophy or 12 right here in column S on the spreadsheet.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

:lol:

If ol' Musty collects enough Good Boy Points for all this redeemin' maybe he can trade those in for a trophy?

See, that's being kind...

Mike Brown doesn't give two wet craps about redeeming anyone. He just sees them as talented players who have slipped down the draft order or talented vets available on the cheap because no one wants to deal with their crap. Katie sees them as contract negotiations where she has leverage.

There's no good boy points to be had. This is pure mercenary greed. Penny-pinching for it's own sake is a virtue. 

The only real question is if it's cold and calculating or just incompetence and dotage. Does Mikey-boy think it through, or does he just go "Ooooh, I can get Vontaze Burfict as a CFA! I saw that game where he...." without giving any consideration to a players character? I don't really see Mike or Katie being the type to really connect with their players other than being "the boss" when they're around. When Mike Brown says PacMan is a good guy, he means he's polite to him when Brown comes down to the practice field.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

When they were on HK Pac was riding in the golf cart with him acting all chummy. 

1) Do you think Mike Brown has ever been to PacMan's house?

2) Do you think PacMan has ever been to Brown's house?

PacMan knows how to schmooze the boss when he's around. Doesn't mean that Mike Brown gets that he's a high-functioning alcoholic.

Just now, LostInDaJungle said:

1) Do you think Mike Brown has ever been to PacMan's house?

2) Do you think PacMan has ever been to Brown's house?

PacMan knows how to schmooze the boss when he's around. Doesn't mean that Mike Brown gets that he's a high-functioning alcoholic.

Yeah I took it as brown-nosing

haha get it

because that is his name

This is the only statistic I need to see

http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/06/william-jackson-iii-shuts-down-antonio-brown-yet-again/

The second-year corner who missed all of his rookie season was outstanding yet again when covering one of the best wide receivers in the league, Antonio Brown.

According to Pro Football Focus, Brown was targeted three times when Jackson was covering him, and the result was two passes defended and zero receptions.

Jackson was phenomenal overall, allowing just two receptions for a total of five yards.

The previous time the two teams met, Jackson held Brown to zero catches and defended two passes as well.

Thus in two games against the Stealers, Jackson has not allowed Brown a reception and has four pass breakups.

His play has been one of the highlights of the season, and a reason to believe in the future.

5 hours ago, SmoothD said:

This is the only statistic I need to see

http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/06/william-jackson-iii-shuts-down-antonio-brown-yet-again/

The second-year corner who missed all of his rookie season was outstanding yet again when covering one of the best wide receivers in the league, Antonio Brown.

According to Pro Football Focus, Brown was targeted three times when Jackson was covering him, and the result was two passes defended and zero receptions.

Jackson was phenomenal overall, allowing just two receptions for a total of five yards.

The previous time the two teams met, Jackson held Brown to zero catches and defended two passes as well.

Thus in two games against the Stealers, Jackson has not allowed Brown a reception and has four pass breakups.

His play has been one of the highlights of the season, and a reason to believe in the future.

I sure hope whoever our DC is next year matches up CBs instead of playing sides.

Archived