Showcase McCarron?

So now is finally the proper time to trade McCarron.  He will be an unrestricted free agent after next season.  To be honest I was amazed that we would have gotten a 2nd and 3rd for him.  We really needed those picks and I don't think we will get anything close to that.  But even one 2nd or 3rd round pick would help out.

So should we bench Dalton in order to showcase McCarron as potential trade bait?

The problem is that if he plays with this offense he will look like absolute shit.  He is not a bad QB, but one of his biggest weaknesses is that he freezes up and takes sack.  This is a bad thing considering that our starting tackles this week are going to be Melvin Tuten and Scott Kooistra.

People have been joking all year about Dalton getting injured, but it is getting to the point that I don't want to take a chance with him out there.  So I say play AJ.  Real NFL talent scouts should be able to take into account the talent around him if he looks like crap.

Whenever I get into a debate with the guys who want think McCarron is better than Dalton it probably sounds like I don't like McCarron, but I have always said he was one of the best back ups in the league.  That is why I did not want to trade him.  I thought we would be contending for the playoffs again, and a back up QB can be very important.  If the starter is lost for the year you can't expect to get very far with the back up.  But if the starter is just out a few weeks it is crucial to win as many games as possible until he gets back.

Actually - I think they are trying to figure out what his status is....

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Dispute-over-AJ-McCarrons-contract-status-109808201

"There is some dispute in Cincinnati over the contract status of quarterback AJ McCarron.

McCarron is currently scheduled to be a restricted free agent after the season. He is arguing that he should be an unrestricted free agent. A player must have four accrued seasons under his belt to become an unrestricted free agent."

That  means we may not be able to trade him.

Edit - and you can click that link but it has a video autoplaying.  I just did a quick search and it the first one that came up.

Edit 2 - I would like to see him play a full game FWIW.

Edit 3 - I think Go's cousin (the one that cleans the hot dog water up for the south stands gold star vendor) said that they are going to start him the last game.

35 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think at this point it would hurt us to play him. Better to be an unknown. This is cardale jones logic.  Jones clearly should have come out but went back and it hurt him. There was almost zero tape and it was mostly good 

agreed 

6 minutes ago, whodey? said:

I believe they should bench Dalton so he doesn’t get murdered but I also agree with Fred and Weston that it may be better to not showcase Cooter with a shit o line. 

Edit: hell, why not see what the third stringer has?

Wouldnt mind that at all. Or play Sanu at QB. 

4 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

Actually - I think they are trying to figure out what his status is....

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Dispute-over-AJ-McCarrons-contract-status-109808201

That  means we may not be able to trade him.

Edit - and you can click that link but it has a video autoplaying.  I just did a quick search and it the first one that came up.

Edit 2 - I would like to see him play a full game FWIW.

Edit 3 - I think Go's cousin (the one that cleans the hot dog water up for the south stands gold star vendor) said that they are going to start him the last game.

McCarron has little chance of winning his grievance. So he'll be a restricted free agent. The Bengals will likely give him the 1st round tender which another team is unlikely to pay. Once the window for another team to sign him closes (a week before the draft) the Bengals can shop him for less than the first rounder. It would be after main free agency has died down but before the draft so there will be teams either looking for a quality backup or a cheap starter who might be interested.

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

McCarron has little chance of winning his grievance. So he'll be a restricted free agent. The Bengals will likely give him the 1st round tender which another team is unlikely to pay. Once the window for another team to sign him closes (a week before the draft) the Bengals can shop him for less than the first rounder. It would be after main free agency has died down but before the draft so there will be teams either looking for a quality backup or a cheap starter who might be interested.

I agree with everything you've said... but don't sleep on the Bengals getting shafted in this whole affair.  The trade was already screwed up, and the league has never been lenient with them as far as I've seen.  Hell, I still have this little screen cap because I just had to keep a memento of when good 'ol Hobson almost made me quit on the team over this debacle of a headline.  Don't forget, it was "language issues" that made the league nix the Rogers deal with the Bengals.  How hard would it be for them to find "language issues" in McCarron's contract?:

StupidBengals.jpg.44fb678972acdf0bee482129cae562d9.jpg

11 hours ago, Marlon23 said:

Won't be long you all will be buying McCarron Jerseys and be like see I called it, should have been starting in 2007!!!  WHO HO!! WHO DEY!! Yeah that sounds about right.  

2007? When he was in junior high? Can you please, for the love of all things holy, go away?

there is no reason to play mccarron what so ever... unless youre starting him here next year... "showcasing" already happened when he played well won games, played toe to toe against SB champ defense on road in coldest game he ever played in, and won a playoff game if it wasnt for refs fucking us raw on the TD and no call on porter. 

look at every backup thats been traded ever.. they didnt need to be "showcased" multiple times.. one stint showing he can play and win in the league and youre good. it doesnt expire. 

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Any chance at all they'd let a new coach make a QB change? 

Looking at it from a strictly financial standpoint it would only cost $2.4 million in dead cap space to release Dalton next year.

But on the other hand Dalton is under contract for three more years at just a little over $15 million per year average which probably ranks in the 20's among all QBs.  So the only way they would make a QB change is to go with a rookie.  Since I think the front office will insist that the Bengals are not in full "re-build" mode they will not take the risks on a rookie QB.

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

For: Andy Dalton is going to get killed. We lost the lousy OT's we had.

Against: Could we end up hurting McCarron's value if he loses games behind a bad line? Players want to play, and it would be a slap in the face to Dalton.

Logical: no there is no reason to, other teams have high interest already, and we arent going to figure out shit with only having 1 of the 3 RBs and no real TE, also the defense is in shambles so unlike andy getting sweet field position early in the year, now he will be behind the 8 ball with minimal weapons... and he would have already needed to be taking firs team reps a week ago.. so no way in hell, no matter what your plan is for him, there is no reason to play him.

and andy getting hurt isnt really a big risk.. the season is over, even an MCL tear is fine by next year... 

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

Looking at it from a strictly financial standpoint it would only cost $2.4 million in dead cap space to release Dalton next year.

But on the other hand Dalton is under contract for three more years at just a little over $15 million per year average which probably ranks in the 20's among all QBs.  So the only way they would make a QB change is to go with a rookie.  Since I think the front office will insist that the Bengals are not in full "re-build" mode they will not take the risks on a rookie QB.

i think sporttrac is slightly off if thats where you got it.. i think it costs NOTHING to release him this offseason as long as its done before April 1st, im not 100% but thats what shefter or some such talking head reported, it really really costs nothing literaly or possibly figuratively to walk away... and i feel like there would be some trade suiters, browns, skins, jets? indy? even if for a vet to learn the rookie there are possibly more teams who could have interest... broncos?  so getting away from andy isnt likely very hard to do on the market or just cutting the cord.

6 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

looked it up... we can cut him BEFORE 2018 for 2.4 mil. AFTER 2018 is zero cap hit...

the 2.4 cut point is in 2 weeks basically..

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/andy-dalton-7750/

3 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

looked it up... we can cut him BEFORE 2018 for 2.4 mil. AFTER 2018 is zero cap hit...

the 2.4 cut point is in 2 weeks basically..

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/andy-dalton-7750/

Even if we took a QB in the first round, why would you want to get rid of Dalton now?

The rookie is on a friendly salary, Dalton isn't making peanuts but isn't breaking the bank. 

Archived