Which QB(s) would you take in 1?

No quarterback in Round 1.  Also, NO wide receivers in Round 1.

Go for killer offensive lineman.  OT or maybe that one mauler OG.

Is Ohio State's Center worth it especially if we trade down.  Tempting.

Also, no reaches at OT.

Round 2 ... maybe but not probably unless a good one slides.  Too many other

positions in need of shoring up to take anyone who is not close to plug in and play.

Tight end, linebacker and someone to replace and an upgrade from Williams at safety.

Round 3 ... I would look for one here.  Small or non football school (like Augustana, NW Louisiana St., etc) standout 

with good tools who can be brought up to pro level in a season or two for when Andy is ready to be put out

to pasture.

I think this is an extremely important year as far as the draft to get nothing but steady long term players who will

improve with experience and catch lightning in a few bottles.

I honestly think Cleveland 2018 could become a threat for years to come and the Bengals hoping for a wild card at best.

And depending on someone else to win or lose and determine it for them.

Pittsburgh is an NFL crown jewel and the Ravens are just that.  Ugly, nasty scavengers.

I would go all in on oline. Andy's numbers have proven he is a top 10 qb with a solid line. Give him another year with a solid line and see what happens. Maybe draft a qb early next year if he falls flat on his face. Brady would have sucked with our line this year. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

My preference:

LT in 1.

C in 2

Another tackle and a guard in 3 (Unless we sign one of either in free agency.  If we do, a QB here)

QB or LB in 4

Carlson and LB/RB in 5

We need LB help badly. If Rowland Smith was available in round 1 I’d take him. 

I expect that they will have a compensatory 3rd round pick this year. 

I’d sign a free agent lineman, and then use draft another two in the second and third round. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

We need LB depth.  I think a starting group of Burfict, Vigil, and Evans would be good enough.  I'd much rather fix the line than use a high pick on a LB.

Evans is one of the worst starting LB I've watched play football in my life. I don't think that's good enough.

Vigil kind of sucks too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I definitely want to fix the line too, but our linebackers are pretty much shit outside of Burfict right now.

I am also in the group that believes the linebackers are Burfict are trash. They really need to get another one due to the frequency at which Burfict misses games and after he decapitates JuJu next year, he may be going the way of Odell.

Put a vote in for me on Baker. The guy might like to get down, but he also puts the work in, which is something Manziel didn't want to do. I think there is something to be said for a guy that has some fire in his belly. If he ends up being good, he is going to be a guy that players will follow. He also has mobility to negate some of the offensive line issues. 

I teeter on Andy. But at some point I think that we have to stop putting the best possible team around him and start to find a guy that can win in spite of shitty teammates because injuries/suspensions/etc. are going to happen. However, I expect any coach that comes here to come because they know they can win with Andy, AJ, and Geno.

18 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I'd like the Bengals to be in constant pursuit of someone better at the most important position. 

But it takes very high draft picks or tons of free agent money to find the type of QB are looking for.

So if you are in "constant" search then you are sucking talent and resourcves from the rest of the team.  If you use you first round pick on a QB every year the rest of your team is going to suck.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

But it takes very high draft picks or tons of free agent money to find the type of QB are looking for.

So if you are in "constant" search then you are sucking talent and resourcves from the rest of the team.  If you use you first round pick on a QB every year the rest of your team is going to suck.

I didn't say that they should pick one every year.

I mean that you do your due diligence on these QB's every year and if you do love one, you SHOULD take him. Even if that means taking him in round 1.

If you Love Lamar Jackson, go for it. Same with the rest of them.

I don't think Dalton's play is beyond reproach at this point. 

37 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I don't think Dalton's play is beyond reproach at this point. 

Neither do I, but It is hard to find a QB as good as Dalton, and the one you are looking for, the guy who can win with not much talent around him, is almost impossible.

16 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Evans is one of the worst starting LB I've watched play football in my life. I don't think that's good enough.

Vigil kind of sucks too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I definitely want to fix the line too, but our linebackers are pretty much shit outside of Burfict right now.

100% agreed. Anyone who thinks Evans and/or Vigil are acceptable needs to give their heads a shake. The only thing that stops the unit from being the worst in league is Burfict. Overall, they are dogshit. The group needs a significant upgrade beginning with two starters.

Having said that, I wouldn't use the first round pick here (unless they dropped back). I would look to free agency to help. Guys like Zach Brown (who I wanted last year), Preston Brown and Demario Davis would be at the top of my list.

14 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Having said that, I wouldn't use the first round pick here (unless they dropped back). I would look to free agency to help. Guys like Zach Brown (who I wanted last year), Preston Brown and Demario Davis would be at the top of my list.

This.  4-3 LBs are relatively cheap in free agency.  Use our top draft picks on more expensive positions like OT.

If we were gonna make a change at QB?  Deal Dalton.  Keep McCarron for a year's tryout as a starter.  Take Lamar Jackson if he falls to the 2nd round and institute a "Wildcat/RPO" package.  Take the best QB #1 overall in 2019 when everything goes pear-shaped.  :rock:

I'm a homer,but IF he were to come out(which he won't) Will Grier from WVU.The kid is fearless,throws a great deep ball,has a nice touch,and has very good mobility.He can run,or just extend the play.I think he's the first QB picked in the 2019 draft.

I thought Driskel looked like he had some talent in preseason. If MB wins his case and we have McCarron next year we need no QB in the draft next season. 

I would lean lean toward OL in the first round, but if the BPA was a LB, DT or safety I would jump on him. 

16 hours ago, fredtoast said:

This.  4-3 LBs are relatively cheap in free agency.  Use our top draft picks on more expensive positions like OT.

I know I am quoting myself, but I meant to say 4-3 LBs are cheap in free agency or available in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

LB is definitely a need, but not as big as O-line.

And what do we do about TE?  Kroft is a lot more athletic than many people think, but he has not produced like I thought he would.  Not bad (36 rec, 9.8 avg, 5 td) but TE is a crucial position in today's NFL.

On 12/24/2017 at 7:47 AM, Bunghole said:

We need a wide receiver in the 1st round. John Ross is a bust, we must draft another to take his place on the IR.

Ross might be a bust, but you can't panic.  Lot's of guys who don't produce much as rookies end up being very good NFL players.  You have to give him more than just one injured season.

58 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I know I am quoting myself, but I meant to say 4-3 LBs are cheap in free agency or available in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

LB is definitely a need, but not as big as O-line.

And what do we do about TE?  Kroft is a lot more athletic than many people think, but he has not produced like I thought he would.  Not bad (36 rec, 9.8 avg, 5 td) but TE is a crucial position in today's NFL.

I'm a fan of Gesicki (sp?) but unless we get one or 2 good O-linemen in free agency I want the pick that would be needed to get him to go to O-line.

Archived