Which QB(s) would you take in 1?

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I thought he looked pretty good.  Good accuracy on his deep throws.

Thanks Jason. I was hoping to see a response from you. I read one of his weaknesses was a weak arm. It didn't seem to make sense to me. He accepted his invite to the senior bowl. I'm hoping to catch that one.

2 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Thanks Jason. I was hoping to see a response from you. I read one of his weaknesses was a weak arm. It didn't seem to make sense to me. He accepted his invite to the senior bowl. I'm hoping to catch that one.

Considering the number of 50 and 60+ plays they had that doesn't make a ton of sense.  He doesn't have the arm Allen does, but it seems strong enough to me.

I think 2018 is going to be an important year for the Bengals.  Possibly (hopefully) new head coach and staff.  It will be interesting to see how much coaching status quo will be in play and what new thinking will be happening including what players fit the new schemes.

After 2018, the Bengals only have ~28 current players signed to the roster.  Atkins, Dunlap, Dennard, Jones, M. Johnson, LaFell, Kroft, Oogie, Fisher, Rey and a host of others are all free agents.  Atkins and Dunlap at 30 y/o probably have 1 big career contract left and I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both leave for bigger money.

AJ Green is a free agent after 2019 and turning 32.  Green also has one more big contract.  Will he stay?  He has made big money already.  What will be most important to him.  HOF and will that come if he stays here?  If the Bengals are not one will he want to go to a contender?  What will the Bengals be willing to pay a 32 y/o WR even AJ Green?  And let's face it the biggest part of Andy Dalton's success is because he has had an elite, top 5 WR to throw the ball to.

Which brings us to Andy.  I have always thought of Andy as a slightly above average QB.  Maybe not good enough to carry his team alone but with the right personnel--both offense and defense--good enough to win the SB.  Like most others here I really believed that in 2013, 2014 and especially 2015 until he got hurt.  I still am undecided how much the Bengals failure in the playoffs was Andy and how much was Marvin Lewis.  But as I said I do believe having Green as his #1 receiver made Andy look better than he probably is.  The point is if the Bengals are rebuilding do we take a QB now to maybe shed Andy's salary?

Also, keep in mind that the CBA expires after 2020.  Right now all NFL teams have from 0 to maybe 4-6 players on their roster after 2020.  The Bengals have Dre K on the 2021 roster and thats it.  I am sure over the next couple of years we will get a better feel on the new CBA and if the NFL keeps losing viewers then the networks which are the leagues biggest source of revenue are not going to pay what they have been.  I see a real war brewing this time around not only between league and players but also between owners.

I guess my reason for rambling here is when folks talk about fixing the roster I really am not sure if that means for 2018 only?  Because with all the upcoming free agents and possible changes no one has any idea what the 2019 or 2020 and beyond rosters will be.

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

I think 2018 is going to be an important year for the Bengals.  Possibly (hopefully) new head coach and staff.  It will be interesting to see how much coaching status quo will be in play and what new thinking will be happening including what players fit the new schemes.

After 2018, the Bengals only have ~28 current players signed to the roster.  Atkins, Dunlap, Dennard, Jones, M. Johnson, LaFell, Kroft, Oogie, Fisher, Rey and a host of others are all free agents.  Atkins and Dunlap at 30 y/o probably have 1 big career contract left and I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both leave for bigger money.

AJ Green is a free agent after 2019 and turning 32.  Green also has one more big contract.  Will he stay?  He has made big money already.  What will be most important to him.  HOF and will that come if he stays here?  If the Bengals are not one will he want to go to a contender?  What will the Bengals be willing to pay a 32 y/o WR even AJ Green?  And let's face it the biggest part of Andy Dalton's success is because he has had an elite, top 5 WR to throw the ball to.

Which brings us to Andy.  I have always thought of Andy as a slightly above average QB.  Maybe not good enough to carry his team alone but with the right personnel--both offense and defense--good enough to win the SB.  Like most others here I really believed that in 2013, 2014 and especially 2015 until he got hurt.  I still am undecided how much the Bengals failure in the playoffs was Andy and how much was Marvin Lewis.  But as I said I do believe having Green as his #1 receiver made Andy look better than he probably is.  The point is if the Bengals are rebuilding do we take a QB now to maybe shed Andy's salary?

Also, keep in mind that the CBA expires after 2020.  Right now all NFL teams have from 0 to maybe 4-6 players on their roster after 2020.  The Bengals have Dre K on the 2021 roster and thats it.  I am sure over the next couple of years we will get a better feel on the new CBA and if the NFL keeps losing viewers then the networks which are the leagues biggest source of revenue are not going to pay what they have been.  I see a real war brewing this time around not only between league and players but also between owners.

I guess my reason for rambling here is when folks talk about fixing the roster I really am not sure if that means for 2018 only?  Because with all the upcoming free agents and possible changes no one has any idea what the 2019 or 2020 and beyond rosters will be.

Excellent post.

On 12/29/2017 at 4:01 PM, westside bengal said:

Of your list of upcoming Free Agents only Dunlap, Atkins and Dennard matter. 

Mason Rudolph and it's REALLY not that close. Due has the best deep ball in all of CFB and he reminds me so much of Phillip rivers with much better mobility. His accuracy is always on point and he extends plays extremely well. Nobody has the highlight reel that Josh Allen has but overall skill? Rudolph hands down.

Speaking of the first round, I'm not sure they can find a decent LT (that they're willing to pay for) in FA, but they can probably find a RT (unless maybe they hire Josh McDaniel & he brings along Nate Solder)  :4_joy:.  For those that have seen McGlinchey, what is your take?  He doesn't seem to be what I'd think of as a prototype LT, but could he be serviceable there for a year or two with a FA RT and then maybe slide over to the right side if they find one of those prototype guys?  I'd still look for a developmental OT who could possibly handle either side in time along with an interior C/G in the draft and try to sign a Center like Richburg for the short term.

That would be five.  Keep Boling & Redmon for eight and maybe one or two more of Westerman, Dielman, Hopkins, Johnson or Fisher if he's cleared (if not, they may need another young tackle).  Not sure what (if anything) they have in Leamon or Perkins.  

On 12/29/2017 at 4:01 PM, westside bengal said:

He also is probably sometimes why Andy has bad games and I also hazard to guess the majority of Andy's INT's are from forcing the ball to him. He had a couple more today that could have been picked off throwing the ball to Green in double or triple coverage. One of Andy's biggest weaknesses IMO is staring down his first option (usually Green) and not checking off but chucking the ball to Green despite whatever coverage is around Green.

18 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Mason Rudolph and it's REALLY not that close. Due has the best deep ball in all of CFB and he reminds me so much of Phillip rivers with much better mobility. His accuracy is always on point and he extends plays extremely well. Nobody has the highlight reel that Josh Allen has but overall skill? Rudolph hands down.

I agree 100%

Archived