** If Jay Gruden gets hired ...I am out. **

18 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I think my biggest issue with Gruden would be can he command the respect of the team?

Similar to my thoughts with Hue at this point.  I suspect the Front Office should shoulder much of the blame for their record...but 1 win in two years!   

I really wish we would have gotten Zim.

20 hours ago, snarkster said:

Is anyone the least bit confident our next HC isn't a current or recent staff member?

1.  I don't know, but there is no reason to think it won't be.  Marvin, Gruden, Zimmer all came form other teams.  I don't kno why so many people think we don't do anything but promote from within.

2.  Even if it is someone from within the organization that does not mean it is a bad hire.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

1.  I don't know, but there is no reason to think it won't be.  Marvin, Gruden, Zimmer all came form other teams.  I don't kno why so many people think we don't do anything but promote from within.

2.  Even if it is someone from within the organization that does not mean it is a bad hire.

Last four guys were in house or AFC North. Both coordinators to start the year were in house assistants. 

People think a known commodity won't overhaul a team that they think needs it. 

50 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Last four guys were in house or AFC North. Both coordinators to start the year were in house assistants. 

People think a known commodity won't overhaul a team that they think needs it. 

I think the culture needs to change & I'm not sure there's a HC out there that could do it.  Or more to the point, I don't think they'd hire someone and let them do it.  That leaves coaches who are ready to do some Redeeming, earning lots of Good Boy Points and being "competitive."  

"Men, we're gonna go out there and participate! "

I'm convinced the issues with this team start at the top.  

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I think the culture needs to change & I'm not sure there's a HC out there that could do it.  Or more to the point, I don't think they'd hire someone and let them do it.  That leaves coaches who are ready to do some Redeeming, earning lots of Good Boy Points and being "competitive."  

"Men, we're gonna go out there and participate! "

I'm convinced the issues with this team start at the top.  

No doubt about it . There is no accountability .

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I know why I don't like Gruden the Lesser but I'm a little surprised at all the hate for him.  What don't you like about him?

He would feel like more of the same.

And he hasn't exactly been great in Washington.

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I know why I don't like Gruden the Lesser but I'm a little surprised at all the hate for him.  What don't you like about him?

I was there at the home playoff game against San Diego.After preaching running the ball and playing physical,they threw the ball 51 times I believe,in sub 40 degree weather in the rain.I remember telling LeTigre on the way back to the car I hoped someone hired him away.

7 hours ago, Sox said:

I was there at the home playoff game against San Diego.After preaching running the ball and playing physical,they threw the ball 51 times I believe,in sub 40 degree weather in the rain.I remember telling LeTigre on the way back to the car I hoped someone hired him away.

That sort of thing is why I don't like him myself.  I think all that time in the AFL ruined him.  I also think if his last name wasn't Gruden he'd still be there.

I am not saying we should hire Gruden, but the hate for him around here is a little extreme.  When Gruden arrived our offense had not ranked higher than 22 in scoring in 4 years.  He was given a rookie QB with no OTA's or mini camps to get him ready.  Yet over the three years he was our OC the Bengals were 10th in the league in scoring.

He obviously is not an elite head coach, but I don't see how he could be considered so much worse than a lot of other candidates out there.

41 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I am not saying we should hire Gruden, but the hate for him around here is a little extreme.  When Gruden arrived our offense had not ranked higher than 22 in scoring in 4 years.  He was given a rookie QB with no OTA's or mini camps to get him ready.  Yet over the three years he was our OC the Bengals were 10th in the league in scoring.

He obviously is not an elite head coach, but I don't see how he could be considered so much worse than a lot of other candidates out there.

He’s not, but it’s better to dream about the guy with no track record than the one who has already disappointed as a head coach. 

Starting to get a bit worried that both Vance Joseph and Mike Mularky will be available. Based upon these (perceived) candidates, I’m ready to just hold onto Marvin until Mike Brown dies. Then fire him immediately. 

If you're that close to the edge of jumping ship, just do it. There is no need to support something you are no longer passionate about. Life is too short to be "stuck in fan hell", if that's what being a Bengals fan truly is to you. I'm sure there are some folks here that would take this site off your hands.  

17 minutes ago, BengalsFREAK said:

If you're that close to the edge of jumping ship, just do it. There is no need to support something you are no longer passionate about. Life is too short to be "stuck in fan hell", if that's what being a Bengals fan truly is to you. I'm sure there are some folks here that would take this site off your hands.  

Well said and yeah I'm sure something could be worked out. If I was more internet/tech savvy I'd be very interested.

7 hours ago, fredtoast said:

He was given a rookie QB with no OTA's or mini camps to get him ready.

Sorta correct.   Dalton worked in Florida at a campus that both Grudens are board members and Jay's former college coach from his UofL days.   Marvin expertly sidestepped this question during a conference call with the fans.   It was during the negotiations when no player was to be in training with their coaches.   At the time Jon Gruden and Howard Schnellenberger would not have counted against the rules.  Both were on campus at the same time as Dalton. 

40 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Sorta correct.   Dalton worked in Florida at a campus that both Grudens are board members and Jay's former college coach from his UofL days.   Marvin expertly sidestepped this question during a conference call with the fans.   It was during the negotiations when no player was to be in training with their coaches.   At the time Jon Gruden and Howard Schnellenberger would not have counted against the rules.  Both were on campus at the same time as Dalton. 

Great Info!!!

Does anyone know if Dalton still works out with his WR’s during the offseason?

I remember seeing stuff like that during the Jones/Sanu days, but don’t remember seeing it since. 

If they’re not, they probably should start again lol

40 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Great Info!!!

Does anyone know if Dalton still works out with his WR’s during the offseason?

I remember seeing stuff like that during the Jones/Sanu days, but don’t remember seeing it since. 

If they’re not, they probably should start again lol

I'm not sure what good it would do for veterans but it couldn't hurt. 

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

I'm not sure what good it would do for veterans but it couldn't hurt. 

Brady brings some of his guys out here during the summer.  They get some work in (at higher altitude).  I know they mountain bike and stuff as well.  Maybe just vacationing....

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/15/tom-brady-montana-part-2-nfl-patriots-peter-king

13 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

Brady brings some of his guys out here during the summer.  They get some work in (at higher altitude).  I know they mountain bike and stuff as well.  Maybe just vacationing....

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/15/tom-brady-montana-part-2-nfl-patriots-peter-king

Can't fault Brady for much. That guy continues to work as if he's a new undrafted free agent. 

19 hours ago, Sox said:

We are not going to hire Gruden.  We are a Rooney Rule team.  It will be Vance or Hue most likely. 

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

We are not going to hire Gruden.  We are a Rooney Rule team.  It will be Vance or Hue most likely. 

"The rule does not apply if an assistant coach has language in his contract guaranteeing him the head coaching job in case of an opening."  Don't know if we have an assistant with a contract that has this info.  In any case, the rule does not mean we "have to hire" but we do have to interview.  I don't believe SoP would intentionally overlook a more qualified candidate IMHO.

13 hours ago, Numbers said:

"The rule does not apply if an assistant coach has language in his contract guaranteeing him the head coaching job in case of an opening."  Don't know if we have an assistant with a contract that has this info.  In any case, the rule does not mean we "have to hire" but we do have to interview.  I don't believe SoP would intentionally overlook a more qualified candidate IMHO.

At the time of Marvin's hiring there was considerable external media pressure concerning the lack of minority coaches in the league which was certainly justified.  Now think about what might happen at the end of this year.   

Hot Seat:

Hue Jackson is 1-30 in Cleveland

Marvin Lewis is most likely gone.

Vance Joseph had an 8 game losing streak in Denver and is 5-10. The defense is ranked 2 in yards given up yet the team still sucks. 

Todd Bowles, Jets.  Is he safe?  5-10 and last game @ New England. 

Jim Caldwell, Lions.  Is he safe?  4 years and the Lions don't look any better than they did 5 years ago.  Keep in mind Detroit's last playoff win was exactly 364 days after our last playoff victory. 

Safe 

Anthony Lynn, Chargers.  1st year and the team seams to be playing their asses for this guy.

Mike Tomlin,  Douchebag.

It will not go over well if 4 or 5 of the 7 African American coaches are fired in January, particularly given the current climate regardless if they deserve to be fired or not.

In my opinion Hue, Marvin and Caldwell deserve to go.

Its tough to justify Vance being fired after 1 year but Denver has sucked and Elway is prone to do such a thing.  I also think Elway probably is pulling the strings as far as the QB situation goes.  It is not Vance's fault they completely missed on Paxton Lynch.  Siemian and Osweiller are not very good.

Bowles has been with the Jets 3 years and there is no evidence the team is getting better. In his defense his starting QB is 93 year old journeyman Josh McCown who has won a total of 13 games he started in the last 12 years.  Keeping Fitz an extra year was a big mistake and I don't think Bowles wanted him.  Brandon Marshal was a headache no new coach should be asked to take on. Their 2 best receivers this year were undrafted FAs.  Hard to blame the guy for the Jets current woes. 

Archived