** If Jay Gruden gets hired ...I am out. **

11 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

What does this mean?

I know what the rule is, but I didn't know it only applied to certain teams.

It is in reference to the pressure that was applied to the Bengals in 2003 to hire a qualified African American coach.  The NFL was under fire (Justifiable) for its lack of diversity in the coaching in 2002.   I think Dungy was only black coach at the time.  It doesn't apply to certain teams, we just happened to need a new coach at the time when the media was starting to amp up the volume.  Marvin was a very good hire at the time so it was a tremendous help to the league that he was hired and did well.  

Don't kid yourself if you don't think there will be a little nudging by the commish for us to hire Hue or Vance if they become available.  No, it is not a Bengal only thing but it is makes more sense for us since both are well know quantities in our organization. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It is in reference to the pressure that was applied to the Bengals in 2003 to hire a qualified African American coach.  The NFL was under fire (Justifiable) for its lack of diversity in the coaching in 2002.   I think Dungy was only black coach at the time. 

Who was this pressure from (media? fans? league?), and what does it have to do with our hire in '18?

12 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Who was this pressure from (media? fans? league?), and what does it have to do with our hire in '18?

The Media.  Do a search in 2002 about lack of black coaches.  BTW, Herm Edwards was coaching as well.  Marvin Lewis' name came up a lot in the media as an example of an excellent coordinator being passed over time and time again. In particular, the Ravens has just won the Super Bowl with one of the greatest defensive teams ever yet Marvin didn't even get 1 offer to be a head coach in early 2002.  

BTW, if it were not an issue from a league perspective then the Rooney rule would not exist.  The league didn't create the Rooney rule out of the goodness of their hearts, they did because the media was starting to openly discuss the obvious good ole boys coaching network in the league.   Don't kid yourself, there was definitely (and still is) a tremendous amount of nepotism in the NFL coaching ranks.  Rex Ryan has had 2 winning season in the NFL and sucked at New York yet he got hired at Buffalo.  Jeff Fisher somehow survived 5 losing season for the Rams after being fired at Tenn?

14 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Singletary was a horrible coach. Harbaugh went to the championship with the same team in his first year.

Yeah, I know.  Fred was just being Fred.  Not sure why throwing a guy who wasn't hired until 2008 had anything to do with 2003.  Marvin Lewis deserved a Head Coaching job in 2003, had a great resume.  Singletary fell into the job when Nolan was fired in San Fran and as the interim coach finished the season 5-4 to include winning 4 of last 5.  

36 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The Media.  Do a search in 2002 about lack of black coaches.  BTW, Herm Edwards was coaching as well.  Marvin Lewis' name came up a lot in the media as an example of an excellent coordinator being passed over time and time again. In particular, the Ravens has just won the Super Bowl with one of the greatest defensive teams ever yet Marvin didn't even get 1 offer to be a head coach in early 2002.  

BTW, if it were not an issue from a league perspective then the Rooney rule would not exist.  The league didn't create the Rooney rule out of the goodness of their hearts, they did because the media was starting to openly discuss the obvious good ole boys coaching network in the league.   Don't kid yourself, there was definitely (and still is) a tremendous amount of nepotism in the NFL coaching ranks.  Rex Ryan has had 2 winning season in the NFL and sucked at New York yet he got hired at Buffalo.  Jeff Fisher somehow survived 5 losing season for the Rams after being fired at Tenn?

Still don't see how the Bengals are singled out as a "Rooney rule team".  I remember the pressure from the media to hire more black coaches, but I remember it being aimed at every team in the league, not just the Bengals.  And most of our coordinators have been white (Bratkowski, Bresnehan, Zimmer, Gruden, Guenther, Zampese, Lazor).  Right now I'd say 90% of our coaching staff is white.

So I still don't see why that means we will hire a black coach in 2018.  Black head coaches are so common people rarely even talk about the issue anymore.

6 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Still don't see how the Bengals are singled out as a "Rooney rule team".  I remember the pressure from the media to hire more black coaches, but I remember it being aimed at every team in the league, not just the Bengals.  And most of our coordinators have been white (Bratkowski, Bresnehan, Zimmer, Gruden, Guenther, Zampese, Lazor).  Right now I'd say 90% of our coaching staff is white.

So I still don't see why that means we will hire a black coach in 2018.  Black head coaches are so common people rarely even talk about the issue anymore.

Your right I am wrong.

On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 2:03 PM, High School Harry said:

I think my biggest issue with Gruden would be can he command the respect of the team?

Redskins fan here and yes I can a test the players will play for him like they are in Washington.   

Watching Jay first hand he is a good coach; good not great.  At the same time look where he's at? The Skins are crippled by terrible ownership like in Cincy yet he has been able to post back to back winning seasons with the team.  The only coach to have ever done that in 30 some years.  He's had a tough go this season because the team was hit hard with injuries:  his entire offensive line, his starting runningback, Jordan Reed the offenses best weapon, a good portion of the defense; and losing his top two wide outs to free agency with no one stepping up to take their place.  Not to mention a shaky situation on whether or not his starting quarterback will even be with him next season.  Despite that he is on pace to coach the team up to a 500 record.

That tells you something! If he coaches in a better run organization he can be a coach that consistently gets you to the playoffs on a regular basis.

Now the things that prevent him from reaching the next level besides a meddlesome owner; same problem when he was OC here, he neglects the run; he hires rubbish DCs:  Jim Haslett, Joe Barry (though he didn't have any talent to work with), and the Gregg Manusky is mediocre which has been the best the defense has looked under Jay.  And at times the players looked unprepared to play, often looking lost like they don't know there assignments.

Despite that he has shown improvement in a lot of areas each year he's been the head guy.  If he comes here The Bengals wouldn't become a dumpster fire but they could remain mediocre.

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Word coming out is that the Redskins plan to keep Gruden.

For the reasons BENgal Solo said.  He team has been destroyed by injuries this year.

And anyone who thinks the Bengals front office is a joke just needs to take a look at the Redskins.  I have never seen a ieam screw up a deal as bad as the way the Redskins have handled Kirk Cousins.  

24 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

For the reasons BENgal Solo said.  He team has been destroyed by injuries this year.

And anyone who thinks the Bengals front office is a joke just needs to take a look at the Redskins.  I have never seen a ieam screw up a deal as bad as the way the Redskins have handled Kirk Cousins.  

I agree, our front office sucks less than the Redskins,..who suck less than Oakland's, who suck less than the Brown's.

19 minutes ago, schotzee said:

What if Marvin is retained Go?

ill be fine with that... winningest coach in team history. winningest time in team history.. he has built both a top 10 offense for neary a decade and then  atop 10 defense for nearly a decade.

you have to have good enough players to win in the playoffs. we have only had that twice. 2005, and 2015. got fucked both times.. 

as long as andy is qb i know we wont win anything that matters. but that has to end at some point. had gruden come here, it would mean so many more things to me.

with marvin in the building i know someone who has a football IQ above 0 is making some decisions. 

On 12/27/2017 at 10:27 AM, fredtoast said:

What is Mike Singletary doing these days?

Pulling down his pants and exposing himself, then getting fired...again.

On 12/27/2017 at 10:35 AM, SF2 said:

IIRC The Rooney Rule didn't force any teams to actually hire a black coach, but that at least one African American candidate had to be interviewed.

On 12/30/2017 at 11:03 AM, BengalFanInTO said:

Word coming out is that the Redskins plan to keep Gruden.

Yay! We get to keep the website!

3 hours ago, schotzee said:

What if Marvin is retained Go?

2 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Pulling down his pants and exposing himself, then getting fired...again.

IIRC The Rooney Rule didn't force any teams to actually hire a black coach, but that at least one African American candidate had to be interviewed.

I'll support Go to the best of my ability in keeping support of this website.

15 minutes ago, schotzee said:

That's why you're an ELITE SUPPORTER. I know I personally can thank you for your ongoing support. I am so strapped for money it's not even funny, and I don't even have a job right now AND I just got denied unemployment. Good times.

3 hours ago, schotzee said:

me too..

he's kind of a dick when talking about Andy... but oh well we all have our opinions so that's fine 

I love this site even though it has lost a lot in the last year... Best Bengals site still 

#WhoDey 

3 hours ago, fluhartz said:

me too..

he's kind of a dick when talking about Andy... but oh well we all have our opinions so that's fine 

I love this site even though it has lost a lot in the last year... Best Bengals site still 

#WhoDey 

For him it's kinda like a second marriage where he still loves his first wife more than the woman he's married to now, and he only married her because he knocked her up, and he can't stop fantasizing about "what could have been" had things been different.

Archived