Is realignment needed?

If so, what teams would you put in with Cincinnati? What teams would you put in with the Stealers? 

I would add the Colts to the AFCN and remove the Stealers. I would put the Stealers in with the Patriots.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

I've spent some time thinking about purely geographic re-alignment.  KC, and Denver in particular, and Arizona a little were hard to fit. 

Phoenix is a pretty natural fit with the three SoCal clubs, so that leaves KC & DEN with SEA & the Niners by default.  The other question became how to divvy up CAR, ATL & TEN in the Southeast.  Tried to put natural rivals together AMAP.

Doing things strictly by geography ignores the fact that the league and the TV networks are joined at the hip.  Or rather, at the wallet.  There's no way both NY and both LA teams will be in the same division, much less the same conference, because doing so would shut out one of the two Sunday broadcast networks from the advertising revenue that comes from showing the local teams in the bigger markets.

Jets/Giants will never be paired.

Rams/Chargers will never be paired (unless one of them moves away from LA, again)

The only reason the NFL would realign would be for more money.  The only major geographic anomaly right now is Dallas in the NFC East, and with so many NFC East games being blasted nationwide in prime slots IN SPITE of the teams being generally poor-to-mediocre this year (Philly being the exception), that's a cash cow the league and networks will never want to touch.

Bottom line - no realignment will happen unless something drastic happens involving relocating teams.

23 hours ago, fredtoast said:

There will be no geographic re-alignment because teams move around all the time.

Before the Rams and Chargers there had been no franchise move for 16 years.   Not exactly all the time. 

On 12/25/2017 at 8:46 PM, snarkster said:

Phoenix is a pretty natural fit with the three SoCal clubs, so that leaves KC & DEN with SEA & the Niners by default.  The other question became how to divvy up CAR, ATL & TEN in the Southeast.  Tried to put natural rivals together AMAP.

And the raiders being in Vegas is a great fit with AZ and the LA teams. KC is the oddball, but you can't put them anywhere else without moving another team like a texas team out of whack. Especially since they are in East Texas. Otherwise KC would be a good fit with the Texas teams. So I think your alignment is the most logical geographically. 

Archived