London 2018 Speculation - Bengals/Panthers

With the opening of the new stadium for Tottenham Hotspur in North London, the NFL has committed to playing FIVE games in 2018.  Two each at Spurs and Wembley, plus one at Twickenham.   The league has also indicated that they want ALL 32 teams to have played at least one game in London by the end of the 2018 season (there are 6 who have not done that yet).  So by looking at those teams' 2018 schedules and applying a little logic, we can make a pretty good guess at who will be playing there next year, and whether the Bengals will be included in that.

First of all, the Jaguars have committed to playing a home game every year through 2020 or 2021 (I forget) in London, and the Rams are forced to play a home game their annually until their new stadium is built.  Assuming the league won't move a division game to London again (they made Indy play Jacksonville there last year - there was a lot of complaining from the Irsay family), here are the Jags/Rams scheduled 2018 non-division home opponents:

JAGS: Patriots, Jets, Stealers, Eagles, Redskins

RAMS:  Packers, Vikings, Eagles, Chiefs, Chargers

The Eagles (twice) and Packers (once) appear on these lists, and neither have played in London yet.  The Packers have indicated that they are eager to go in 2018 provided they don't have to give up a home game (there's a contractural clause in their stadium deal preventing them from playing home games anywhere but in Green Bay for the next several years - due to the renovations done at Lambeau recently).  So it makes sense that two of the five London games will be Packers at Rams, and by default, Eagles at Jaguars.

The other four teams who haven't played in London yet are Carolina, Seattle, Tennessee, and Houston.  There are three London games left, but the only pair of teams who play each other in 2018 are Tennessee-Houston.  Unfortunately they're in the same division.  So it comes down to whether the NFL wants to get their "all 32 to London" box checked in 2018, or if they want to give one team a pass and make them go in 2019.  I can't predict which way that would go.  If the NFL forces everyone to play, then Tennessee vs Houston will happen (no idea who the home team would be - don't really care), and the other two games would have Carolina and Seattle as the designated home team.  If the NFL is willing to give one team a pass on 2018, it'll probably be Houston since they just played in Mexico City last year.... not "London", but part of the International Series.  So I see there as being two distinct scenarios - one where Titans-Oilers play in London, and the other where Tennessee goes but Houston stays home.

SCENARIO ONE (Tennessee vs Houston in London is one of the three remaining games.)

In this scenario, we have 5 NFC teams playing in London (GBP, LAR, PHI, CAR, SEA) and 3 AFC teams (JAX, TEN, HOU).  I see it unlikely that the league would do a 7-3 split between conferences, so it's a lock that at least 1 of the remaining visiting teams will be from the AFC, possibly both.  Carolina and Seattle have the following non-division opponents on their home 2018 schedule:

PANTHERS: Cowboys, Giants, Ravens, Bengals, NFC-W(tbd, but guaranteed to not be Seattle)

SEAHAWKS: Packers, Vikings, Chiefs, Chargers, Cowboys

Ranking the possible visiting teams by (1) fewest # of London games played to-date, (2) most years elapsed since last London game, and (3) fewest # of home games lost to London to-date, we get:

1-Chargers (1 trip, 2018)

2-Cowboys (1 trip, 2014)

3-Chiefs (1 trip, 2015)

4-Bengals (1 trip, 2016)

5-Ravens (1 trip, 2017)

6-Giants (2 trips, last in 2016)

7-Vikings (2 trips, last in 2017)

The Packers are not considered, since I already have them playing the Rams in London next year

I believe the most likely pairings are therefore:

Chargers at Seahawks

Bengals at Panthers 

(DAL-CAR is actually more likely, but if the Panthers have a say they'd rather play DAL in Charlotte because they're a bigger draw than CIN.  More home revenue, and less likely for the London game to turn into a true "road" game with a stadium full of European Cowboy fans).

So for this scenario, the games would be:

Packers at Rams

Eagles at Jaguars

Titans vs Texans

Chargers at Seahawks

Bengals at Panthers

SCENARIO TWO (Tennessee goes to London, Houston stays home.)

As above, there are 5 NFC teams (GBP, LAR, PHI, CAR, SEA) and 2 AFC teams (JAX, TEN), with three slots to fill.  At least two of these will be AFC, possibly all three.  The non-division 2018 home opponents for each team are:

PANTHERS: Cowboys, Giants, Ravens, Bengals, NFC-W(tbd, but guaranteed to not be Seattle)

SEAHAWKS: Packers, Vikings, Chiefs, Chargers, Cowboys

TITANS: Patriots, Jets, Eagles, Redskins, Ravens

Ranking them as above and eliminating Eagles + Packers since they already have London games scheduled:

1-Chargers (1 trip, 2018)

2-Cowboys (1 trip, 2014)

3-Jets (1 trip, 2015, away)

4-Chiefs (1 trip, 2015, home)

5-Redskins (1 trip, 2016, away)

6-Bengals (1 trip, 2016, home)

7-Ravens (1 trip, 2017)

8-Giants (2 trips, last in 2016)

9-Vikings (2 trips, last in 2017)

10-Patriots (2.5 trips - I count Mexico as 1/2 trip)

I believe the most likely pairings are therefore:

Chargers at Seahawks seems a lock

Cowboys at Panthers + Jets at Titans if the next-two visiting teams are chosen.

Bengals at Panthers + Jets at Titans if the Panthers request to keep Dallas for their Charlotte game.

So for this scenario, the games would be:

Packers at Rams

Eagles at Jaguars

Chargers at Seahawks

Jets at Titans

Bengals at Panthers

WRAPPING IT ALL UP

I believe that four of the five London games are VERY LIKELY to be:

Packers-Rams

Eagles-Jaguars

Chargers-Seahawks

Bengals-Panthers

With the final game being:

(Jets or Texans) vs Titans

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you sign up for TSA Preapprove. It is good for 5 years. I think it’s around $79. Also, going through Customs at Heathrow can take time. So, sign up for Global Entry to avoid the long custom lines. It is good for 5 years. (London is the most visited city in the world. Make sure you take a cruise down the Thames River while in London.)

My (worthless) position on England games is clear: I hate, hate HATE them. The NFL has no business trying to cultivate an NFL franchise in the UK (sorry, VonBlade). The expansion-minded execs at the NFL offices apparently think this is a great idea. I think it's terrible. First of all, American football is an AMERICAN sport. This shit about transporting it to London or Mexico City is unbelievably shitty and stupid. SOCCER is what these countries want, not American football. 

The NFL is hoisting itself on its own petard (been dying to use that phrase, it's so Shakesperian and makes me sound smart) in this. Exhibition games there (in London) are one thing, but establishing a franchise there? Are you kidding me? Jet lag, problematic EST time schedules, taxes, etc? WTF? Really NFL? You can't find a city or two in America that will support your product?

I emphatically vote "NO" for expansion outside the USA. This isn't even mentioning depriving season ticket holders of a home game at their "home" stadium. It's ludicrous.

16 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

My (worthless) position on England games is clear: I hate, hate HATE them. The NFL has no business trying to cultivate an NFL franchise in the UK (sorry, VonBlade). The expansion-minded execs at the NFL offices apparently think this is a great idea. I think it's terrible. First of all, American football is an AMERICAN sport. This shit about transporting it to London or Mexico City is unbelievably shitty and stupid. SOCCER is what these countries want, not American football. 

The NFL is hoisting itself on its own petard (been dying to use that phrase, it's so Shakesperian and makes me sound smart) in this. Exhibition games there (in London) are one thing, but establishing a franchise there? Are you kidding me? Jet lag, problematic EST time schedules, taxes, etc? WTF? Really NFL? You can't find a city or two in America that will support your product?

I emphatically vote "NO" for expansion outside the USA. This isn't even mentioning depriving season ticket holders of a home game at their "home" stadium. It's ludicrous.

Like, Really smart.

The Raiders have reportedly agreed to go to London (rather than Mexico City), and it has been rumored that they'll be playing Seattle.  The Rams have leaked that they'll be in Mexico City, no word on their opponent.  And the Chargers and Falcons have both acknowledged that they're "likely" to be playing in London - the Chargers because they're in temporary digs and Atlanta because they're hosting the next Super Bowl.

But all the rumors and speculation aside, the official announcement will be made on Thursday at 10:45am ET (3:45pm GMT):

Linky: http://www.nfluk.com/news/internationalseries/article-1/2018-NFL-London-Games-to-be-announced-Thursday-on-Facebook-Live/80348ca8-07c3-45f8-b6e5-23215a598e2a

Untitled5.jpg

21 hours ago, Rick said:

Make sure you sign up for TSA Preapprove. It is good for 5 years. I think it’s around $79. Also, going through Customs at Heathrow can take time. So, sign up for Global Entry to avoid the long custom lines. It is good for 5 years. (London is the most visited city in the world. Make sure you take a cruise down the Thames River while in London.)

Good points.  I get TSA PreCheck through my employer, and if you fly into London City Airport rather than Heathrow you have practically no customs/immigration wait at all.  :)

Edited to add:  Here's a review of British Airways' nonstop service from JFK to LCY.  This is the same flight I caught with my kid for the Wembley game in 2016.... a trip of a lifetime, and a flight to match:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2009/11/03/review-new-york-jfk-to-london-city-on-british-airways-club-world-london-city/

Linky: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jon-grudens-raiders-reportedly-headed-to-london-in-2018-rams-headed-to-mexico/

CBS believes two of the games will be:
Seahawks at Raiders (London)
Chiefs at Rams (Mexico City)

If true, I would update my speculation for the other 4 London games to be:

1: Eagles at Jaguars - Jacksonville has to play a home game, they host NEP NYJ PIT PHI WAS.  Eagles are the only non-division opponent to not play overseas yet, and it keeps with the ongoing AFC v NFC theme of the first two games.

2: Packers at Jets - Packers need to go but as a visiting team.  They play at LAR SEA WAS NEP NYJ.  LAR and SEA are already off the table, and if they stick with the AFC v NFC theme the Jets make the most sense as they haven't played internationally since 2015, the Pats went in 2017, and the Giants in 2016 (if we're considering them).

3: Bengals at Panthers - Panthers need to go.  Their AFC opponents are CIN BAL (at home), CLE PIT (away).  No way PIT gives up a home game, and CLE gave up a home game just last year.  BAL played in London last year, CIN the year before.  Both have played once.  CIN gave up a home game, they would be a visitor against Carolina.  Seems to be a best fit.

4: Redskins at Titans - Assuming the league doesn't move one of the two TEN-HOU division games to London, the Titans have games against the NFC East, with PHI WAS at home and DAL NYG on the road.  Like PIT in the paragraph above, I doubt Jerryworld loses a home game, so "at" DAL is off the table.  PHI is out because I have them playing the Packers in (1) above.  Between WAS and NYG, both played there in 2016, but the Giants have played there twice.  So the Redskins seem to be the better fit even though this would be another trip to the UK as the "visiting" team.

This would make all 6 games AFC v NFC, which, all things considered, does tend to minimize the impact of these games on the tiebreaker scenarios.  The only "team that hasn't been to London yet" team is Houston, and they played in Mexico last season so if the NFL gives anyone a pass it would be the Texans.

On 1/9/2018 at 7:38 PM, Bunghole said:

I hate this with every ounce of my being. Look, I get it. The NFL wants to expand it's market. Bully for you. Fuck the NFL for trying to export an American product overseas. Fuck you, NFL.

The NBA is doing it as well. Not sure how long.

Archived