Bodine gone?

1 hour ago, kennethmw said:

Seriously, Bro, why do you even try?  Logic is not logical to the illogical.

He was pretty good when he got here, and got lazy and unmotivated under his coach. He then flourished under a new coach a year later. Conclusion: Paul Alexander is a great coach.

3 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Alexander started Mathis over Livings until Mathis got injured.

I wont argue it as it’s be too long. You may very well be correct. I seem to recall that Livings missing time, Mathis shined and Livings was given the job back. That stated, could have some of all the above. 

So I did what I hadn’t plan to do and did a very brief lookup. Livings was the starter and hurt his knee in Sept of 2009.  Mathis came in and made 7 starts. Mathis was rated the best LG in football during this time. He gave up zero sacks in 2009.  Per the article below, those were Mathis’s only starts during his time in Cincinnati. 

Mathis had a high ankle sprain. Livings resumed the starters spot and Mathis never had another start until he left.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2009/9/19/1037631/bengals-guard-nate-livings-out

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/26/5549640/philadelphia-eagles-open-to-trading-former-bengals-og-evan-mathis

Here’s the actual TRUTH about the Livings and Mathis saga... and “surprisingly“ it’s NOT what the troll said;

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/7/31/2307330/former-guard-evan-mathis-signs-with-the-philadelphia-eagles

Then here is Alexander talking about the starters and line play for 2011... Mathis was better in all of us dumb fans minds, talking heads and NFL experts, and analysis sites... but not by Alexander and the troll.

http://m.bengals.com/news/article-1/O-Line-embraces-move-back-to-09-style/93751472-cc70-4996-bffb-d4a0ad8ecfe5

Facts and logic, the enemies of the troll my friends.

15 hours ago, cwing said:

I wont argue it as it’s be too long. You may very well be correct. I seem to recall that Livings missing time, Mathis shined and Livings was given the job back. That stated, could have some of all the above. 

So I did what I hadn’t plan to do and did a very brief lookup. Livings was the starter and hurt his knee in Sept of 2009.  Mathis came in and made 7 starts. Mathis was rated the best LG in football during this time. He gave up zero sacks in 2009.  Per the article below, those were Mathis’s only starts during his time in Cincinnati. 

Mathis had a high ankle sprain. Livings resumed the starters spot and Mathis never had another start until he left.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2009/9/19/1037631/bengals-guard-nate-livings-out

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/26/5549640/philadelphia-eagles-open-to-trading-former-bengals-og-evan-mathis

14 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Here’s the actual TRUTH about the Livings and Mathis saga... and “surprisingly“ it’s NOT what the troll said;

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/7/31/2307330/former-guard-evan-mathis-signs-with-the-philadelphia-eagles

Then here is Alexander talking about the starters and line play for 2011... Mathis was better in all of us dumb fans minds, talking heads and NFL experts, and analysis sites... but not by Alexander and the troll.

http://m.bengals.com/news/article-1/O-Line-embraces-move-back-to-09-style/93751472-cc70-4996-bffb-d4a0ad8ecfe5

None of that is any different from what I said.  I did not realize that Livings started the first game of the season in '09, but he just missed two games.  When Livings returned Mathis kept the starting job until he went out with injury in the 8th game of the season.  Mathis was not as effective when he returned later in the '09 season, and he was out of shape for the '10 season and did not deserve to start.

Every team in the league watched the film on Mathis in 2010.  If Alexander was stupid not to play him more in 2010 then every other O-line coach in the league was stupid also because NONE of them offered him more than a league minimum contract to be a back up in 2011.  After the 2010 debacle Mathis even admitted he was out of shape and made a vcideo of him transforming his body over the off season.

Facts are indeed facts.  Alexander started Mathis ahead of Livings in 2009 when he deserved to.  Livings was healthy and playing for weeks and only got the starting job back when Mathis got injured.

16 hours ago, cwing said:

I wont argue it as it’s be too long.

Welcome back over here.  Nice to see you in both places.  Would like to see some of the others come back, too.

Not a shot at the other board, whatsoever.  I post there, too.  Each has its own personality and its a win-win situation

for all all around.

That said, Fred is the board flame baiting troll.  Some have him on ignore.

Every time someone voices an opinion that is po-TAE-toe Fred responds with some meaningless statistics that say po-TAH-toe

and its off to the races.  Popcorn consumption has gone up ten fold since Fred has come out from under his bridge and become

more active searching for billy goats.

But, welcome back.

P.S.  No stats to prove it but I seem to recall Mathis was a head case.

My biggest beef with Alexander is how he refuses to play his best players.  He insists on playing chumps like Oogie-boogie and Fisher when it is obvious there are better players on the roster.  The o-line improvement at the end of this season is exhibit A.  It got better with Eric Winston at RT.  Let that sink in.  Other examples include playing Guy-suck at center for all those years.  He was abominable. 

Either Alexander is a shitty judge of talent or he doesn’t have the stones to not play high round picks when they aren’t cutting the mustard. Either way he makes the team worse. 

6 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

My biggest beef with Alexander is how he refuses to play his best players.  He insists on playing chumps like Oogie-boogie and Fisher when it is obvious there are better players on the roster.  The o-line improvement at the end of this season is exhibit A.  It got better with Eric Winston at RT.  Let that sink in.  Other examples include playing Guy-suck at center for all those years.  He was abominable. 

Either Alexander is a shitty judge of talent or he doesn’t have the stones to not play high round picks when they aren’t cutting the mustard. Either way he makes the team worse. 

The counter argument to what you say of course is the play of 5-time Pro Bowler Dennis Roland. At least Alexander got that one right "He's got great technique!".

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Welcome back over here.  Nice to see you in both places.  Would like to see some of the others come back, too.

Not a shot at the other board, whatsoever.  I post there, too.  Each has its own personality and its a win-win situation

for all all around.

That said, Fred is the board flame baiting troll.  Some have him on ignore.

Every time someone voices an opinion that is po-TAE-toe Fred responds with some meaningless statistics that say po-TAH-toe

and its off to the races.  Popcorn consumption has gone up ten fold since Fred has come out from under his bridge and become

more active searching for billy goats.

But, welcome back.

P.S.  No stats to prove it but I seem to recall Mathis was a head case.

What other board is this? 

15 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

We have seen what happens with Winston.  He plays a couple of decent games then wears down and looks like crap.  Plus our O-line was improving long befor Winston started playing in the 14th game.

As for Ghiacuic he began the year as our starter for exactly two seasons.

Alexander should get credit for our team's great pass blocking for a few years there but don't NFL teams run the ball too?

Our run game has been kind of shit for quite some time now and it seems to have been more because of the blocking than RB ability. I've been very tough on PA due to that alone. Good run blocking for only 2-3 out of the past 15 years should get him fired without even worrying about the whole "he started X over Y" arguments.

7 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Alexander should get credit for our team's great pass blocking for a few years there but don't NFL teams run the ball too?

Our run game has been kind of shit for quite some time now and it seems to have been more because of the blocking than RB ability. I've been very tough on PA due to that alone. Good run blocking for only 2-3 out of the past 15 years should get him fired without even worrying about the whole "he started X over Y" arguments.

Profootballoutsiders tries to rank O-lines run blocking by using a formula that gives the O-line more blame for losing yards on run plays and gives the RB more credit for yards gained more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.  The result is what they call "Adjusted Line Yards".  They also judge O-line run blocking on "Power Success" which looks at 3rd and 4th down runs with 2 yards or less to go.  Here are how the Bengals O-lines have ranked in those categories.

.........ALY.......PS

'17......24th....24th

'16......14th....19th

'15...... 1st.....13th

'14.....11th..... 9th

'13.....11th.....19th

'12.....11th..... 5th

'11.....20th.....25th

'10.....18th.....28th

'09.....26th..... 1st

'08.....32nd....30th

'07..... 9th...... 5th

'06.....13th..... 5th

'05..... 5th...... 8th

'04.....21st.....20th

'03.....19th.....27th

'02.....13th..... 1st

'01.....26th.....24th

'00.....24th..... 6th

'99.....13th.....20th

'98.....21st.....23rd

'97.....16th..... 4th

'96.....24th..... 4th

So 22 year totals....

Adjusted line yards.....average rank 16.9.....top half of league 11 times.....top ten 3 times

Power.......................average rank 14.5.....top half of league 11 times.....top ten 10 times

So very "middle of the pack".  Definitely could use some improvement, but not as bad as when you look at some other stats.  For example from '96 through '17 the Bengals rank just 18th in total rushing yards, 20th in rushing tds, and 23rd in yards per attempt.

^^ I've never seen a person that's so excited to prove how mediocre players and coaches are in my life.

Every single thread you open and see "I'm not saying X, Y, and Z are good, but they're not the absolute worst in the NFL every single year SO I GOTCHA!!!!!"

On 12/29/2017 at 6:17 PM, New Jersey Bengal said:

We need to Draft 2 tackles and a center and Price can play multiple positions along the O Line. I would draft him at 9 or 10 where we will be picking. He's worth it...

yea... not really...

many times fixing player X will also help player Y. interior linemen are deep in this draft it seems, so grabbing a C/G seems likely at some point.. but looks like we are pickin about 12th.  the only way to get a great tackle is a top 10-15 pick. picking another tackle in the second or third depending where you think we pick a C/G there isnt shit worth picking..

40 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

^^ I've never seen a person that's so excited to prove how mediocre players and coaches are in my life.

Every single thread you open and see "I'm not saying X, Y, and Z are good, but they're not the absolute worst in the NFL every single year SO I GOTCHA!!!!!"

I have never seen a fan base that labels every player who is not top 5 at his position "garbage".

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

I have never seen a fan base that labels every player who is not top 5 at his position "garbage".

But you're usually replying to someone like me who hasn't said that about the players or coaches in question.

Sooooooooooooo, derp?

3 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

But you're usually replying to someone like me who hasn't said that about the players or coaches in question.

Sooooooooooooo, derp?

I was responding to a guy who said "Our run game has been kind of shit for some time now" when in fact our O-line has  finished top 11 in run blocking four of the last six years including FIRST in 2015.

Pro Football Reference stats state,

League Rank in Rushing Yards

2017 - 31st

2016 - 13th

2015 - 13th

2014 - 6th

2013 -18th

2012 -18th

2011 - 19th

2010 - 27th

That equals out to an average ranking for the last 8 years as 18th in the league...

Yeah, our running game has sucked ass for quite a while.

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Paul Alexander still gets credit for Corey Dillon/Willie Anderson. So, for a while there, he had a great running game, and even seemed to be able to do well no matter who was back there. (Rudi, Cedric...)

Archived