Bodine gone?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/12/28/cincinnati-bengals-alex-redmond-could-hidden-gem/985748001/

I know many of you here have complained (somewhat rightly so) about the play of Russell Bodine. Reading an article on cincinnati.com this morning, Bengals beat writer Jim Owczarski states almost matter of factly that Bodine is expected to "depart via free agency" this off season.

I haven't been a big fan but I think he's improved over the years. This would leave another hole to fill in our already decimated O-line.

:13:

1 hour ago, HOF dan said:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/12/28/cincinnati-bengals-alex-redmond-could-hidden-gem/985748001/

I know many of you here have complained (somewhat rightly so) about the play of Russell Bodine. Reading an article on cincinnati.com this morning, Bengals beat writer Jim Owczarski states almost matter of factly that Bodine is expected to "depart via free agency" this off season.

I haven't been a big fan but I think he's improved over the years. This would leave another hole to fill in our already decimated O-line.

:13:

I pray we draft a center on Friday whether Bodine leaves or not.

Boling, Redmon, Westerman...maybe Johnson (not sure on him)...might bring back Fischer if he gets the physical OK, but don't count on him as more than a 3rd or 4th tackle.  Ogbuehi, Sugar Tits, Bodine, Hopkins, Winston...they gone.  Bring in a 2nd tier (just below all-star) FA, a journeyman FA, two prime draft picks (1st three rounds) and at least one or two later picks.  AND A NEW MUTHER FUCKIN' OLINE COACH!

11 hours ago, snarkster said:

No fan of Bodine at center, but someone will probably stick him at OG where he'll be an all-pro.

I defended Bodine a lot after his rookie season.   It is very rare to see a fourth round pick at any position look good starting as a rookie, and O-line is even tougher because it depends so much on working as a unit.  But he just has not developed into a good starter.

And the difference between OG an OC is not that great.  He may start somewhere as a OG but he will not be a star. 

I assume Paul alesander will be gone next year, but I have never understood the hatred for him around here.  He has been one of the most successful and well respected position coaches on our team.

With the failures of Bodine, Fisher, and Ogbuehi it might be time for him to go, but the hatred existed before then.  At the same time the national media was praising him there was a message board lynch mob who mocked him for *gasp* PLAYING THE PIANO.  Just think what they would have said about Chuck Knoll playing classical guitar and being a fan of chamber music. Their middle school mentality would have had a field day with him.

16 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I assume Paul alesander will be gone next year, but I have never understood the hatred for him around here.  He has been one of the most successful and well respected position coaches on our team.

With the failures of Bodine, Fisher, and Ogbuehi it might be time for him to go, but the hatred existed before then.  At the same time the national media was praising him there was a message board lynch mob who mocked him for *gasp* PLAYING THE PIANO.  Just think what they would have said about Chuck Knoll playing classical guitar and being a fan of chamber music. Their middle school mentality would have had a field day with him.

Idk Fred, if he was that good at anytime, me thinks he would have been promoted within or by someone else.and...since when has the national media been known for it's ability to accurately judge coaching capabilities.

3 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Idk Fred, if he was that good at anytime, me thinks he would have been promoted within or by someone else.

You think Monte Kiffen sucked as a DC?  The Patriots had the same O-line coach for over a 15 years under Belichick.  The fact that Alexander was not OC or HC material does not mean he was not good as an O-line coach. 

Alexander was an O-line coach for almost 20 years before he had a high draft pick (first two rounds) flop.  And he coached up lots of lower draft picks and even undrafted free agenst in succesful high paid free agents. 

Over the first 8 years that PFF ranked O-lines the Bengals were number one in the league is pass protection. 

Sports Illustrated wrote a feature article on him in 2015 with multiple NFL players and coaches signing his praise.  In 2016 in another SI artcle he was chosen as the best O-line coach in the league.

He is regular featured speaker at the highly regarded COOL Clinic for offensive line coaches.

Like I said before, with the failures of Bodine, Fisher, and Ogbuehiit may be time for Paul to be replaced, but the level of hatred for him around here over the years was unjustified. 

7 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Alexander isn't respected because he says dumb or dishonest stuff like Stacey Andrews being the best RT in the NFL or Ghiaciuc being a very good center. 

Dennis Roland was our best technical lineman.  Not our best blocking lineman, mind you, but his technique was perfect.  All he lacked was ability.

Archived