Marv may have just saved his job!

43 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

It was reported today that we were already talking to people outside of the organization for the position. Lets hope this game doesn't change anything. 

Let's hope it does, really want him back. He's the best coach Available. 

10 hours ago, Tigris said:

A couple pictures of the stadium this year I saw suggested a low attendance. I would hope that would send a message that the fan base needs something to be positive about. If Marvin comes back, I'd be extremely disappointed. 

Empty seats don't mean they weren't paid for. The only downside to Brown is the drop in concession sales.

5 minutes ago, chezaugie said:

Empty seats don't mean they weren't paid for. The only downside to Brown is the drop in concession sales.

Could be a precursor? One would think. And it just doesn't look good when you're trying to win over new fans. If I were an owner, I wouldn't want to see it the way it was. 

12 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I'd love to have Jack Del Rio. It's very surprising to me that he got fired. Two playoff appearances in three seasons, just signed a four year extension, then...ghandi.

Rumor is they are offering Jon Gruden part ownership to come back

7 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Are you talking about Marvin...seriously?

Yes, I'm opposed to hiring the hot dipshit who probably isn't going to do any better. It comes down to our shitty o line, fix that and this team will win every year. Get some LB depth and the Superbowl is calling. I think Brady and rothlisberger hang it up here soon, all the rest of the NFL currently is garbage.

2 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Yes, I'm opposed to hiring the hot dipshit who probably isn't going to do any better. It comes down to our shitty o line, fix that and this team will win every year. Get some LB depth and the Superbowl is calling. I think Brady and rothlisberger hang it up here soon, all the rest of the NFL currently is garbage.

I love Marvin for what he has done to bring us out of the 90s, but he has some fundamental flaws in his coaching that cause us problems that run deeper than just a bad O-line.

13 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Honestly asking, what did he just accomplish?

He got a team that had zero to play for in the last game of the season to give a huge effort and knock a rival out of the playoffs.  Most teams in the Bengals situation would have just mailed it in.

I don't think it saved his job here with the Bengals, but it greatly improved his chances of getting another job of some sort with another NFL team.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

I think it's hard to argue against that seeing as he took the Raiders to the AFCC and the Bucs to a SB victory.

I am not saying Gruden is a bad coach, but he is grossly overrated.

After winning the Super Bowl with a team Dungy built Gruden went 45-51 in his final six seasons and never won another playoff game.  You can argue all you want about why that happened, but the fact is that if he really was an elite coach he would have overcome enough of those obsticals to have at least had a winning record.

Just now, fredtoast said:

I am not saying Gruden is a bad coach, but he is grossly overrated.

After winning the Super Bowl with a team Dungy built Gruden went 45-51 in his final six seasons and never won another playoff game.  You can argue all you want about why that happened, but the fact is that if he really was an elite coach he would have overcome enough of those obsticals to have at least had a winning record.

No offense Fred as I think you get a bit picked on here, but you also think Paul Alexander is a good coach.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

No offense Fred as I think you get a bit picked on here, but you also think Paul Alexander is a good coach.

Well so do a lot of media, statisticians, and NFL people.

The crowd "group think" around here has been known to be very wrong also, so I don't really care what they think.  Kind of like when everyone was claiming Mike Zimmer was a football genius, but when he said Peko was a good player he was stupid.

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

Well so do a lot of media, statisticians, and NFL people.

The crowd "group think" around here has been known to be very wrong also, so I don't really care what they think.  Kind of like when everyone was claiming Mike Zimmer was a football genius, but when he said Peko was a good player he was stupid.

I'm not participating in group think. Mike Zimmer's 13-3 record speaks for itself, those who thought Peko was bad are idiots, and Paul Alexander is a very average to bad coach.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

those who thought Peko was bad are idiots, and Paul Alexander is a very average to bad coach.

But a large majority of the people claiming Peko was bad are the same ones saying that PA is garbage.  So you have a lot of idiots on your side.

At this point, after the failure of Bodine, Fisher, and Ogbuehi, I would have no problem with moving on from Alexander, but Alexander got a lot of hate before he deserved it.  These boards are famous for perpetuating myths.  Remember all of years of "Whitworth needs to move to Guard because he can't handle Tackle"?

Archived