Marv may have just saved his job!

22 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Marvin wants front office changes?  Typical Marvin throws somebody under the bus crap.

He had a Super Bowl winning type of roster in 2013-2014-2015 and couldn't get the job done. 

Well, I’m not so sure there isn’t plenty of merit to this request. Part of me hopes for a coaching change because perhaps the next guy will be given a bit of a reset, including his own requirements of autonomy. 

If Marvin is retained because he gets even more power wrested away from the Brown clan, while not the absolute victory so many of us are hoping for, its still a huge incremental win.

22 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Marvin wants front office changes?  Typical Marvin throws somebody under the bus crap.

He had a Super Bowl winning type of roster in 2013-2014-2015 and couldn't get the job done. 

Well, I’m not so sure there isn’t plenty of merit to this request. Part of me hopes for a coaching change because perhaps the next guy will be given a bit of a reset, including his own requirements of autonomy. 

If Marvin is retained because he gets even more power wrested away from the Brown clan, while not the absolute victory so many of us are hoping for, its still a huge incremental win.

2 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Incremental win yeah I guess...but you know what we havent won yet? A Superbowl. Sounds funny but people always point to the 0-7 record in the playoffs, last I checked the goal in the NFL isn't about winning a playoff game. Marv is 0-15 as far as I am concerned. Most of my adult life Marv has been the coach of my favorite football team and to think of the talent that has been squandered... I was fifteen years old when he became head coach. I'm THIRTY now...enough is enough jc

46 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

And that 15 team looked like it surely could have won the whole thing until Dalton went down. Season over!

Also the 05 team looked like contenders too until Palmer went down.

Those teams don't come along every year, unless you're the patsies. 

This is silly.

If he was going to be gone, he would have been gone by now.

Mike and Marv are simply fine tuning the changes to the front office

and coaching staff so everything can be announced all at once.

Marv is singling out the scapegoats to be slaughtered to cover his

incompetent ass.

15 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

This is silly.

If he was going to be gone, he would have been gone by now.

Mike and Marv are simply fine tuning the changes to the front office

and coaching staff so everything can be announced all at once.

Marv is singling out the scapegoats to be slaughtered to cover his

incompetent ass.

100%

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I dont need anyone on my side to say Alexander isnt good. I do remember that the argument was that Whitworth couldnt handle the speed DEs and that he wasnt as good as Levi in that regard and that maybe moving him to G to get a guy that could handle the faster DEs might not be a bad idea. I love Whit and think he is one hell of a T, but you cant ignore that throught his career he has had trouble against the faster guy.

That said I would kill to still have him here.

I recall the Whit was better at guard vs tackle agreement more so than the Whit cannot play tackle argument. At the time, Whit jumped offsides allot and had struggles against speed rushers. They also had Collins which had shown he had the potential to play LT. Part of the argument was around which offensive line was best suited at the time.

Collins LT and Whit LG on the left side vs any combo of Whit at LT and insert guard name here at LG (Steinbuch was gone at that time).

For the record, I admit I was in favor of Whit at guard with Collins at LT. At the time, I felt the overall o-line unit was better and this took advantage of Collins skill set. 

Marvin's comments about wanting better personnel sounded to me like a backhanded slap at the Front Office for letting Sanu and Marvin Jones and Whit and Zeitler walk via Free Agency and not doing a thing to compensate.  You saw the O-line, you've seen our lack of depth at WR.... he's right at least on those points.  But the fact that he and Mike didn't announce dick - not that Marv is leaving, nor that Marv has a new contract - means they're both still negotiating.  Can't tell whether they're trying to decide what to do, or if they've already decided but haven't yet come up with a plan to announce it.

Marv's message to the fans..... "stay the course".  Bwahaha!

Welcome to Limbo.  Population, us.

I didn’t hear the presser. Anyone have a summary?

My predictions:

*One to three year deal for Marvin. Marvin dictates some terms/changes. The fans will never know those terms/changes similar to what occurred in 2010. My guess is a two year deal. 

*A transition plan to Pauly G much like was reportably offered to Hue. The promise of head coach in waiting keeps him from becoming a Raider. 

After all, the coaches that the Bengals were reportedly interested (Hue and Jay Gruden) appear to be staying put.

*Potentially at play. Marvin assumes a front office role. If this becomes the case, my guess is that Pauly G becomes the coach with an outside shot it could become Del Rio.

2 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Marvin's comments about wanting better personnel sounded to me like a backhanded slap at the Front Office for letting Sanu and Marvin Jones and Whit and Zeitler walk via Free Agency and not doing a thing to compensate.  You saw the O-line, you've seen our lack of depth at WR.... he's right at least on those points.  But the fact that he and Mike didn't announce dick - not that Marv is leaving, nor that Marv has a new contract - means they're both still negotiating.  Can't tell whether they're trying to decide what to do, or if they've already decided but haven't yet come up with a plan to announce it.

Even if they do bounce him now, all of the top HC's, coordinators & assistants will be picked through.  BTW, I haven't focused enough of my fury against the FO for the state of the OL, but unfortunately they ain't going anywhere.

1 hour ago, Griever said:

Incremental win yeah I guess...but you know what we havent won yet? A Superbowl. Sounds funny but people always point to the 0-7 record in the playoffs, last I checked the goal in the NFL isn't about winning a playoff game. Marv is 0-15 as far as I am concerned. Most of my adult life Marv has been the coach of my favorite football team and to think of the talent that has been squandered... I was fifteen years old when he became head coach. I'm THIRTY now...enough is enough jc

Winning the Super Bowl should be the goal and I believe all we had ever heard from Marvin was the win it all coach speak. It’s the fans/media that break it down to wining a playoff game.

If winning the Suler Bowl is the only criteria to be judged on, then there are far more failures than successes as there are many great coaches that had never won a Super Bowl. After all, they have to win a playoff game before they can win a Super Bowl. 

14 minutes ago, Bengallifer18 said:

I had mentioned in the Coaching Carousel thread, that if the Bengals beat baltimore, Marvin will be back. I was told to shut my mouth. Looks like the way things are going I was right. 

You were told to shut your dirty whore mouth you dirty whore. 

18 minutes ago, Bengallifer18 said:

I had mentioned in the Coaching Carousel thread, that if the Bengals beat baltimore, Marvin will be back. I was told to shut my mouth. Looks like the way things are going I was right. 

Not because they didn't believe you, but because they did.

22 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Like it or not, there is validity there. Yes, they drafted guys to replace Zeiter and Whit. However, when neither Ced or Fish showed the ability to take one or both of those positions, very little was done to improve the position.

I simply can’t imagine the coaches being on board with letting Whit/Zeitler walk headed into 2017. Ced and Fish simply had not shown enough in 2016 to warrant this. In 2016, neither Ced or Fish took ownership of the RT spot. Then the front office lets their RG and LT walk and somehow someone determined they would both improve and lockdown the tackle spots.  I just can’t buy the coaches being good with this.

2 hours ago, Marlon23 said:

Been saying this for a very long time, WE WILL BE LUCKY IF MARVIN COMES Back, I hope he does.  If not we are SCREWED OVER GOODNESS.

YOU NEED TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT UPPING THE DOSAGE ON YOUR MEDS.

1 hour ago, Griever said:

Griever, I get your point but what is it you have to do in order to advance to the Superbowl in the first place? Exactly. You don't get to hopscotch over games, pass Go, collect $200 and go straight to the big dance.

The funny part about this is that they’re both negotiating against themselves. The longer the negotiations stretch out, the less leverage each have. MB misses out on interviewing candidates for HC and assistants. Marvin misses his chance to find work elsewhere. 

Im waiting for these negotiations to hit a point where each party combusts into a speck of dust. 

Archived