Marv may have just saved his job!

5 hours ago, fredtoast said:

This "no adjustments" myth is getting ridiculous.

This year we won more games (3) that we did not lead at halftime than games we lost when we did lead at halftime (2).

So how the hell could lack of halftime adjustments be the biggest problem when we have more comeback wins than blown leads?

During Marvin Lewis's tenure we've been outscored in the 2nd half in playoff games 96 to 29. We've averaged scoring 4.1 points after halftime while giving up 13.7 points. We were shut out in the 2nd half in four of the playoff games and scored 7 or less in two more. What up with that?

Just now, BengalFanInTO said:

During Marvin Lewis's tenure we've been outscored in the 2nd half in playoff games 96 to 29. We've averaged scoring 4.1 points after halftime while giving up 13.7 points. We were shut out in the 2nd half in four of the playoff games and scored 7 or less in two more. What up with that?

What up with that???  2 years probably $4.5 to $5 mil a year bitch.  And he don't even need to win shit!!!

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

*sigh*

We were 16th in 1st half points and 31st in 2nd half points

1st Half Points - https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/1st-half-points-per-game

2nd Half Points - https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/2nd-half-points-per-game

Could that 16th be better? Absolutely

But the bigger tell his is the disparity between 1st and 2nd half points, we drop  15 spots.

Just to reinforce this because I want Fred to acknowledge this problem because this is a 2nd half adjustments issue. 

Houston and Carolina are the teams around us on the 1st half scoring Houston is 17th in 1st half Scoring they were 22nd in 2nd half scoring dropping only 5 spots

Carolina was 15th in 1st half scoring and 13th in 2nd half scoring going up 2 spots. 

You cant be intellectually honest and look at the fact that we go from 16th in 1st half scoring to 31st in 2nd half scoring and tell me we dont have a 2nd half adjustments problem.

If you look at that stat and tell me its not a problem you either are not intellectually honest or just have your head up your ass.

I hope you are willing to acknowledge the scoring discrepancy between halves with the 2nd half being much worse than the first is a problem.

19 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Maybe when you buy him out?  😂

The Titanic of comedians..

And of course things go exactly as expected with Brown. Retain the mediocrity, because "it's better than 2-14"..  

At least I have a long, ragged memory of this team winning a playoff game. I'm not so sure the younger Bengals fans have in their cards..

Let's just sit back and watch the changes... or lack thereof

On January 2, 2018 at 11:11 AM, fredtoast said:

This "no adjustments" myth is getting ridiculous.

This year we won more games (3) that we did not lead at halftime than games we lost when we did lead at halftime (2).

So how the hell could lack of halftime adjustments be the biggest problem when we have more comeback wins than blown leads?

We only led 5 games at halftime this year, so losing 2 of them isn't good. Call it "adjustments", or make accurately lack thereof, it's not a myth. Marvin Lewis coached teams suck in the second half. The three games we won after leading at the half were the Colts, Broncos, and Ravens. Two terrible teams and a late miracle to avert what was otherwise a typical give it all back second half. The two we lost? The Packers and the Stealers. Pittsburgh was a 17-3 lead at home at the half. 

17 minutes ago, A Rock said:

We only led 5 games at halftime this year, so losing 2 of them isn't good. Call it "adjustments", or make accurately lack thereof, it's not a myth. Marvin Lewis coached teams suck in the second half. The three games we won after leading at the half were the Colts, Broncos, and Ravens. Two terrible teams and a late miracle to avert what was otherwise a typical give it all back second half. The two we lost? The Packers and the Stealers. Pittsburgh was a 17-3 lead at home at the half. 

My bad, we also led and beat the Browns, LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

And here is the proof that Marvin did indeed save his job with the last two wins - Cincy Enquirer with the sit-down with Brown and this exchange:

Mike Brown: “I chose not to make a decision on what we were going to do going forward until all the evidence had been submitted. And that meant playing through the full season and not making a call prematurely. I would say that while we had serious reverses and they were unsettling, to put it mildly, we bounced back at the end of the year. We beat two teams that were in playoff runs. We beat them in games that were important for them where they gave their best shot and I was impressed how we rebounded. That played into what was in my mind when I had to make a final call.”

Enquirer: So the season-ending victories over Detroit and Baltimore mattered a little more than the 0-3 start or that 0-3 period beforehand, to see how the team rallied back? It meant something to you.

Brown: “Yes. We had a very unusual season. Obviously, we were off offensively. We lost a handful of games that were games we could’ve, should’ve won. They were very close. They were one-play games. And if we had managed to win our share of those, we would’ve been out of that middle group of teams. In my mind, there’s a middle group that runs from say 6-10 to 9-7. That’s over a dozen teams. With all of them, they have a fan base that is dissatisfied. Ours is no exception. And yet they are all close to having been in the next level. And I think that that’s where we were. We had a disappointing season because we didn’t win our share of those close games that we could’ve, should’ve won. I think it goes beyond that, though. I think we tailed off in some areas that brought us down. I think those issues are correctable. I don’t think we’re far off. I think we can make the changes that we need to make and quickly rebound to the level where we were a couple years ago.”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/01/19/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-why-marvin-lewis-back-head-coach/1048725001/

"We beat two teams that were in playoff runs."

Detroit, notorious chokers, and Baltimore, on a lucky 4th down toss. I mean any win is good, but let's not act like they beat the stealers in shittsburgh or the cheatriots in Boston.   

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/01/19/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-why-marvin-lewis-back-head-coach/1048725001/

Cincinnati Bengals owner Mike Brown explains why Marvin Lewis is back as head coach

Article from 1/19/2018 Cincinnati dot com too long to post and some covered here.  But a pretty good read.

Some excellent graphics comparing Marvin to other Bengal coaches proving that you can make statistics

prove or imply things that are not actually the way they really are.

"Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics"

Cincinnati Bengals owner Mike Brown explains why Marvin Lewis is back as head coach

Article from 1/19/2018 Cincinnati dot com too long to post and some covered here.  But a pretty good read.
Some excellent graphics comparing Marvin to other Bengal coaches proving that you can make statistics
prove or imply things that are not actually the way they really are.
"Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics"

That just proves how delusional brown is. It's pretty hard to not win a playoff game in almost 30 years. With out being a complete moron. And short term issues with the fans? After the steeler lose I didn't watch any of their games and don't care to next year either unless they actually manage to improve the garbage.

21 hours ago, turningpoint said:

LOL, I'm ready for people to come in here pissed. Great Mike only wants us to rebound to a level where we were a couple years ago.....so excited for another 1st round playoff loss next year!!

I finally read the whole interview and honestly I am not surprised by most of what MB says.  Anybody who expected him to sing a different tune about free agency is delusional.  He is never going to give up power/control to anyone until he's no longer among the living.  He considers replacing a bunch of assistant coaches "unprecedented" change because it is for this franchise.  He knows that winning will bring fans back more than anything else the team does.  It all sounds common sense and straightforward.

Obviously it's comical for MB to say Marvin is the best person to get the team to a Super Bowl when he has the worst playoff record in NFL history.  It's also way off base for him to claim they are close to being capable of winning a Super Bowl when the offense is among the worst in the league.  For all of the discussion regarding the o-line, MB conveniently ignores his own culpability in creating the situation. There's not much the guy can do at this point to change the perception that he is one of the worst owners in all professional sports.  

Archived