VPN for whole home?

So my Asus router obviously has option for VPN settings, has one for OpenVPN and PPTP vpn settings. 

i know little about VPN other wthan my corporate world use, remote access to corporate email and files, and that service always sucked a bag of dicks.

so comcast, and my friend in ohio using SPectrum, we seem to get throttled on ESPN app and sometimes netflix, and other things.. we both have 100+MB internet service, both are Cable provided internet, no fiber no dsl....

so questions being...

openVPN has a $15/connected device option. im going to assume thats every device in my house? so like 25...

also looking at ExpressVPN and NordVPN.

so a few questions.

should i be implementing this via the router? all of them offer browser add ons and stuff, but if im ging to get a VPN service, i should be covering everything.. yes?

recommendations on companies or ways of doing this other than what im thinking?

is this going to slow down my internet connection? i have used some VPN like hidemyass and a few others that are app based on my computer, and my internet speeds sucked dick. id like to prevent that.

anything i am missing or obviously dont understand?

thanks!

Ryan

If you VPN at the router level, that is 1 device. I'm not familiar with what openVPN offers. I use Cyberghost VPN and the results are more than satisfactory performance-wise and the effect is also what I'm looking for -- certain georestricted apps work properly outside the intended geographic region.

The openVPN protocol is slower than PPTP from my experience but I'm sure there are tradeoffs. 

8 hours ago, CincyInDC said:

If you VPN at the router level, that is 1 device. I'm not familiar with what openVPN offers. I use Cyberghost VPN and the results are more than satisfactory performance-wise and the effect is also what I'm looking for -- certain georestricted apps work properly outside the intended geographic region.

The openVPN protocol is slower than PPTP from my experience but I'm sure there are tradeoffs. 

thanks, that gave me some more things to research/understand. looks like opnevpn is higher encryption thus slower due to extra encryption. Your use is mostly what i need as well. id like to ditch cable at some point, and id like to prevent throttling of certain video apps. so the ability to change my location as well as block the apps im streaming from my provider are ideal. the security probably not a terrible plan to have either.

follow up question? for anyone...

how the hell do i pick one? i checked out cyberghost and its an identical site to two other VPNs ive looked at, almost identical pricing as well. so are these all just resellers for one bigger VPN? coincidence they all use the same web template and pricing scheme?

hell even the 7 year pre-purchase is a stupid good price.. ends up at $1.99/mo.

I picked Cyberghost because they were having a promo. I stay with them because of their commitment to not keeping logs. Plus I'm happy with their performance. 

There is a cottage industry in Germany where shyster lawyers scrape torrents for German IPs, then send nastygrams to the ISP demanding customer info for IP x.x.x.x at time mm.dd.yyyy HH.mm.ss. Then they send the ISP customer another nastygram demanding about 1000€ to make a copyright infringement lawsuit go away. 

Cyberghost is based in Romania, which is not known for diligent law enforcement. 

Anyway, consider what happens when a VPN connection on your router breaks. Does it automatically attempt to reconnect? Does it block everything until the reconnection is done? Etc. 

YMMV. 

12 minutes ago, CincyInDC said:

I picked Cyberghost because they were having a promo. I stay with them because of their commitment to not keeping logs. Plus I'm happy with their performance. 

There is a cottage industry in Germany where shyster lawyers scrape torrents for German IPs, then send nastygrams to the ISP demanding customer info for IP x.x.x.x at time mm.dd.yyyy HH.mm.ss. Then they send the ISP customer another nastygram demanding about 1000€ to make a copyright infringement lawsuit go away. 

Cyberghost is based in Romania, which is not known for diligent law enforcement. 

Anyway, consider what happens when a VPN connection on your router breaks. Does it automatically attempt to reconnect? Does it block everything until the reconnection is done? Etc. 

YMMV. 

makes sense.. i did read what differences there are when the connection is lost, some dump you to web which sucks if youre hiding for a specific reason as you mentioned, and some block connection until its secure again.

i basically want to lie to nba lewague pass that im not in denver and have comcast not thorttle my ESPN and shit... basic bitch stuff

ok, so i also signed up for private internat access VPN, putting this visa gift card i got for xmas to good use....

so i got the same shit speeds, 16-20mb with vpn on, chose 5-6 locations, didnt vary much.. 

i know this sounds like a newb statement, but im learning here. i went to settings and turned off the encryption, and tested, and got 80-90mb consistantly on all locations..

so obviously the encryption is the slowdown but as i mentioned my interntions are to: 1. stop some app throttling from cable company internet, 2. relocate my IP to prevent blackout issues for watching local sports via league pass or sunday ticket, etc. and 3. the security/privacy benefits.

so i have the Asus AC68U router, been flawless for me, but i saw in another forum someone with similar situation with me as for VPN speeds vs non VPN speeds. mentioned having the asus 66u router, and the VPN support said its likely the router slowing it down, that the model mentioned doesnt ahve a dedicated cryptographic processor, i cant find much about my 68u having one either... is this likely my speed issue? thats its software encrypting instead of having a dedicated processor to encrypt the data?

im getting closer to giving up on this project as i cant withstand 90% speed loss with a vpn.. but if my router is to blame, i can sell it for $80 and use my amazon gift card to bridge the gap into something else. but i dont want to fix what aint broke if its not the issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Windscribe VPN.   They offer a free account which you could use as a trial.  It comes with 10GB/month for life, but as soon as you open it you can apply the following voucher codes:

50GBFREE = Increases your cap to 50GB/mo for life

SOS60GBS = Increases the 50GB cap to 60GB - might have been a limited offer, YMMV

The free account offers access to 14 servers (US Central, US East, US West, Canada East, Canada West, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Switzerland, UK, and Hong Kong) from one machine.  The pro version bumps that up to 50+ countries, unlimited bandwidth and unlimited # of connections.  Their pro version is expensive if you go with their advertised rates ($9/mo, $49/yr) but they offer regular deals that appear on Slickdeals.net - I got a lifetime subscription for $29 a few months ago.  Feature-wise, it includes killswitch, which blocks internet activity if your connection drops.  It also supports IKEv2 compression (albeit in beta) which can dramatically increase your thruput.

Torrentfreak gives Windscribe a POSITIVE review for privacy: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-anonymous-review-2017-170304/#windscribe

If you're still shopping around, I would recommend signing up for a free account and giving it a spin.  Use a disposable email address for signup - they only send me one email a month (to let me know my 60GB has been reset) but others report getting weekly marketing emails pushing their pro version.  I use the free account on my kid's computer, my personal Chromebook, and on my Android phone - I've never come close to hitting my bandwidth limit.  I use a different pro account at home on my other systems as my router doesn't support direct VPNing.

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2018 at 11:58 AM, AmishBengalFan said:

I use Windscribe VPN.   They offer a free account which you could use as a trial.  It comes with 10GB/month for life, but as soon as you open it you can apply the following voucher codes:

50GBFREE = Increases your cap to 50GB/mo for life

SOS60GBS = Increases the 50GB cap to 60GB - might have been a limited offer, YMMV

The free account offers access to 14 servers (US Central, US East, US West, Canada East, Canada West, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Switzerland, UK, and Hong Kong) from one machine.  The pro version bumps that up to 50+ countries, unlimited bandwidth and unlimited # of connections.  Their pro version is expensive if you go with their advertised rates ($9/mo, $49/yr) but they offer regular deals that appear on Slickdeals.net - I got a lifetime subscription for $29 a few months ago.  Feature-wise, it includes killswitch, which blocks internet activity if your connection drops.  It also supports IKEv2 compression (albeit in beta) which can dramatically increase your thruput.

Torrentfreak gives Windscribe a POSITIVE review for privacy: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-anonymous-review-2017-170304/#windscribe

If you're still shopping around, I would recommend signing up for a free account and giving it a spin.  Use a disposable email address for signup - they only send me one email a month (to let me know my 60GB has been reset) but others report getting weekly marketing emails pushing their pro version.  I use the free account on my kid's computer, my personal Chromebook, and on my Android phone - I've never come close to hitting my bandwidth limit.  I use a different pro account at home on my other systems as my router doesn't support direct VPNing.

I have been giving them a try, pretty solid, i think i have tried 5-6... PureVPN ironically has had the best speeds, and even has a mode you can pick for just streaming with location change, so it strips off all the other features in that mode. which may be ideal..

also managed 80mb/sec speed tests on pure, which is more than double the others. 

gonna keep testing them all next game time. and see what give the best streaming quality..

i cancelled directv officially so its crucnh time.

Archived