Bengals Post Season Positional Review

On 1/1/2018 at 10:12 PM, Jason said:

This is my first positional review for the 2017/2018 off season.  This is my assessment of need at each position, with an acknowledgement of how the Bengals operate.

Quarterback

There has been some speculation among fans and some of the local media talking heads that Dalton may be cut or traded, and/or the Bengals may draft his replacement early.  I personally don't think so.  Especially if Marvin Lewis is retained. And now with the 12th pick I don't think any of the "we can't pass on that guy" QBs will be available in 1.  I do think AJ MaCarron has played his last game as a Bengal.  My hope is that he is designated a RFA, the Bengals put the second round tender on him and are able to get a 2 for him. Driskel has some nice physical tools, but I don't think they are ready to trust him with the keys if anything should happen to Andy.

Need: Yes, unless something unforeseen happens that keeps AJM in stripes I think there is a need to draft a backup QB.  Or perhaps sign a veteran free agent. How early will depend on who is available, how high a pick they can get for AJM and if they fill other needs in free agency.

I think the Bengals are perfectly happy with Driskel and will try to trade McCarron during the draft if he returns.

Dalton is safe until he has a year that has the the Bengals picking in the top five or his contract expires. Hell, if it wasn't for his little tantrum, we'd all be talking about trying to replace a retired Carson Palmer in the draft and Dalton would be playing someplace else. 

Wide Receiver

AJ Green didn't have a great season, especially later in the year, but he is one of the best in the game.  Boyd disappeared for much of the year and was a disappointment, but he showed enough promise as a rookie, and late this season I think they will count on him in 2018.  I am still excited for what Ross could bring if properly used.  Malone has a ton of upside.  Lafell is decent, but hopefully Ross or Malone can take over the #2 role.  Erickson plays well when given the chance.  Core was supposed to be improved but never did anything as a WR this year.  But played well enough on special teams I think he will be kept.

Need: IMO, as of now we do not have a true #2 WR.  Plenty of candidates but no one proven that is "exciting".  I could see them looking at a free agent upgrade to LaFell as insurance but unless it's a BPA pick I don't think they draft one.

I think an offseason spent in Katy catching passes from Dalton would go a long way to building the chemistry the passing game needs. I think the players are there.

Tight End

Kroft was solid once Eifert went down, and he made some plays.  But he isn't a top end TE who is going to "scare" anyone.  Eifert's injury history is horrible.  And that back injury is at least career altering if not ending.  I'd be willing to offer him a team friendly 1 year contract with incentives if he'd take it.  Will someone offer more?  Will someone gamble on a multi-year deal?  Hewitt is more of an H-back and rarely used as a receiver.  CJ Uzomah has not developed as I had hoped but he could stick around as a developmental 3rd TE.  

Need: I think there is need.  Especially if they want TE to be a dynamic part of the offense.  And he would really help Dalton.  The year Dalton had a healthy Eifert he was an MVP candidate.  There are not many Gronk/Eifert/Kelce types in this draft, but there are a few good ones.  If they want to use a second round pick on one. If they get one for AJM and sign a free agent O-lineman I would seriously consider it.  If they can't get one of the top TEs I might use a late pick on a blocking type.

I think it makes the most sense on all sides for Eifert (assuming he wants to continue his career) to accept that incentive-laden deal, and for the Bengals to tie all of his incentives to touchdowns. Forget snaps, games, awards. It's all about TDs with him. Use him on passing downs, in the red zone and in two-tight end sets. 

Offensive Tackle

I was hopeful that Ced O and Fisher would develop into good players.  Needless to say that did not happen.  The 2 prime backups are old and on the downside of their careers.  Fisher's medical condition makes him a huge question mark.  There is a chance the procedure "fixed" him and he could develop into a good player.  Or it could end his career.  He certainly cannot be counted on.

Need: Dire.  I would draft the best one available in 1 even it it means a little bit of a reach.  And I would draft another one by the end of 3.  And/or sign a free agent who isn't 90 years old and hurt all the time.

Jake Fisher is a huge question mark right now, but all indications at the time he was put on IR is that the team expects him back. Ogbuehi has been a disaster, but one thing he's really impressive at is when he pulls in the running game. Could he be moved to LG with Boling going to LT? Could Westerman start full time? I think Andre comes back to give them a solid, not great, option at RT and the Bengals head into the season hoping a new blocking scheme and running approach are what finally gets the talent to come out of their highly drafted tackles. They need to add at least one starting-caliber player to this line, most likely in the draft, but I'm not convinced it absolutely needs to be a tackle.

Guard

Boling is good enough at LG that it's not a need.  I was not impressed with Hopkins, at least early.  Westerman and Redmond played capably the last 2 games.  None of them are "studs" but I think they were good enough to be capable if tackle and center (up next) are improved.

Need: Minor.  I would still consider drafting a big body mauler at RG if one is available and BPA but I think they are adequate if the rest of the line is improved.

If Quenton Nelson is there at #12 I think the Bengals will sprint to the podium, not even wait for Goodell and announce the pick.  

Center

Bodine has been a disappointment.  He is also a free agent.  Let him go.  TJ Johnson is an adequate backup.  

Need: HIGH.  High enough that I would consider Price in 1 with a trade back a few spots IF the top OTs are gone.  I would certainly take one in 2.  If a good free agent is available I'd look there too.

I would pick Price in a heartbeat if Nelson isn't there, and I sure hope the Bengals are thinking that way as well. However, I think Marvin's push to bring in better free agents could pay off at this position and the Bengals will either try to poach and opponent's starter and get Ryan Jensen, or look at a "local" boy done good in Weston Richburg. I'd be happy with either. This will be the easiest position to upgrade in free agency IMO.

Defensive End

Michael Johnson is nearing the end of his career, but he seems to have found a role as a part time end/nickel DT.  Carl Lawson if nothing else is a great 3rd down nickel rusher.  Carlos Dunlap is one of the best LDEs in the game.  Jordan Willis showed some promise.  Chris Smith showed some flashes, but did very little late as Willis and Lawson developed.

Need: Depth.  Because of other, more pressing needs, I would not draft one before the 4th round (unless something stupid happens, like Chubb is there at 12), but a late round depth pick is a possibility.  Or, again, a free agent.

Both Dunlap and Johnson are free agents in 2019. Based on how this team drafts, they very well could take a DE in the first round. 

Defensive Tackle

Geno is a top 2 or 3 DT in the league.  Sims was ok, but is a free agent.  Billings didn't show as much as I hoped, but hopefully another year and he improves.  He certainly has the physical tools.  Ryan Glasgow had a nice rookie year and is a capable backup 3T.  Did Tupou play at all?

Need: Mild.  Depth at least if Sims is not re-signed.  Again, I would not take one early because of other needs, but a mid to late round pick on a 4-3 NT would be on my radar.

I think this could be the year to go DT with one of the first two picks depending on how the board plays out. Geno is a free agent in 2019. Absent an extension in the offseason, I think they'd actually franchise tag him. However, Sims, Billings and Glasgow are all just guys. 

Linebacker

Burfict is the heart and soul, and extended at the start of the season.  Minter was a disappointment, and is a free agent.  Vigil was up and down.  Evans has some nice physical tools.  Rey isn't someone I would want playing starters snaps, but is adequate as "give a guy a rest" backup and a good special teams player.  I think a starting 3 of Burfict/Evans/Vigil is good enough.  

Need: It would be nice to add a "stud" MLB, but the O-line need is too big to even think about LB in the first couple of rounds unless we sign a free agent or 2.  I still wouldn't take one in 1.

I think you're right about this position. Midseason I was thinking this was the second-biggest position of need behind O-line. Maybe not so much now with how much Evans and Nickerson have progressed with some playing time. Moving Burfict to MLB could be the thing to fix this unit.

Safety

Iloka and Williams have developed into a reliable pair of starters.  While neither one is a "center fielder" FS, Brandon Wilson could develop into that.  Clayton Fejedelem has developed into a solid backup/teams player.  

Need: Minimal/depth.  I have seen mock drafts that have us taking a safety in 1, but that's not happening.  If it was going to happen they would have taken Hooker last year.

I would say this is the position that could make the biggest impact on the defense as a rookie. The backups are garbage (Fejedelem got better, but still, yuck), and so if they see the top safety in the draft looking at them at #12, they need to make that pick. A good centerfield type safety that can lock down the back end in coverage would allow them to play around with moving Iloka or Williams up into the box to confuse QBs and shut down the run. We have two Kam Chancellors, we need an Earl Thomas.

Kicker

Bullock wasn't an all pro by any stretch, and a lot of people were upset we kept him over Elliot, but he made a higher % of kicks, and made the only 50 yarder he was allowed to attempt. Jonathan Brown is on the PS, and everything I hear is his leg is huge.  

Need: Not huge.  But if Daniel Carlson is there with our comp 5 (for Whit) I'd think long and hard about taking him.  He is considered an even better prospect than Elliot was.  He was the #1 kicker last year until he decided to return to Auburn.

While Bullock wasn't losing us games, he is not anything to write home about. The list of free agent kickers is equally unimpressive. Janikowski anyone, Vinatieri? Didn't think so. There needs to be another camp competition though.

Returner

Erickson was not as good this year as last, but he is good enough.  And there are other guys on the roster who can also do the job.

Need: None.

Hopefully Adam Jones will be used more in this role since he's likely to see a greatly diminished role on defense.

If I'm ranking the positions of need I'm doing it like this:

O-line

D-tackle

Safety

Linebacker

D-end

Cornerback

Running back

Tight end

Kicker

Wide receiver

Quarterback

I think your analysis is excellent.

Welcome to the board.

I do like the idea of Adam Jones returning to the team as primarily a kick returner and part time defensive back and insurance policy for injury.

I would take Billy Price at 12 if still there.  Some might call it a reach but a plug in and play player is something the Bengals have not had in quite

awhile and I think he would be an instant upgrade to the offensive line.  If Price is gone, Frank Ragnow from Arkansas in as high as round two

especially if we have an extra pick there and have John Ross make himself useful using his blazing speed to get to the podium with the pick.

Well, maybe not because he might injure himself getting up out of his chair.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

john Ross make himself useful using his blazing speed to get to the podium with the pick.

Well, maybe not because he might injure himself getting up out of his chair.

In all fairness to JR, he never gets injured getting out of a chair. It's always a bench darn it!:ninja:

Archived