Bengals Post Season Positional Review

This is my first positional review for the 2017/2018 off season.  This is my assessment of need at each position, with an acknowledgement of how the Bengals operate.

Quarterback

There has been some speculation among fans and some of the local media talking heads that Dalton may be cut or traded, and/or the Bengals may draft his replacement early.  I personally don't think so.  Especially if Marvin Lewis is retained. And now with the 12th pick I don't think any of the "we can't pass on that guy" QBs will be available in 1.  I do think AJ MaCarron has played his last game as a Bengal.  My hope is that he is designated a RFA, the Bengals put the second round tender on him and are able to get a 2 for him. Driskel has some nice physical tools, but I don't think they are ready to trust him with the keys if anything should happen to Andy.

Need: Yes, unless something unforeseen happens that keeps AJM in stripes I think there is a need to draft a backup QB.  Or perhaps sign a veteran free agent. How early will depend on who is available, how high a pick they can get for AJM and if they fill other needs in free agency.

Running Back

Mixon looks like a future star.  Gio is a great third down/CoP back.  Jeremy Hill is gone.  They seemed to like Tra Carson, and Brian Hill performed well in limited opportunities.  What they do with Ced Peerman will be interesting to watch.  As for fullback they seem happy enough with Hewitt and occasionally Uzomah in the role.  I would like to see them bring in a true FB, but I doubt it happens.

Need: None.  They tend to draft BPA, so I won't rule out taking one, but it won't be for need.  Especially if the current staff is retained.

Wide Receiver

AJ Green didn't have a great season, especially later in the year, but he is one of the best in the game.  Boyd disappeared for much of the year and was a disappointment, but he showed enough promise as a rookie, and late this season I think they will count on him in 2018.  I am still excited for what Ross could bring if properly used.  Malone has a ton of upside.  Lafell is decent, but hopefully Ross or Malone can take over the #2 role.  Erickson plays well when given the chance.  Core was supposed to be improved but never did anything as a WR this year.  But played well enough on special teams I think he will be kept.

Need: IMO, as of now we do not have a true #2 WR.  Plenty of candidates but no one proven that is "exciting".  I could see them looking at a free agent upgrade to LaFell as insurance but unless it's a BPA pick I don't think they draft one.

Tight End

Kroft was solid once Eifert went down, and he made some plays.  But he isn't a top end TE who is going to "scare" anyone.  Eifert's injury history is horrible.  And that back injury is at least career altering if not ending.  I'd be willing to offer him a team friendly 1 year contract with incentives if he'd take it.  Will someone offer more?  Will someone gamble on a multi-year deal?  Hewitt is more of an H-back and rarely used as a receiver.  CJ Uzomah has not developed as I had hoped but he could stick around as a developmental 3rd TE.  

Need: I think there is need.  Especially if they want TE to be a dynamic part of the offense.  And he would really help Dalton.  The year Dalton had a healthy Eifert he was an MVP candidate.  There are not many Gronk/Eifert/Kelce types in this draft, but there are a few good ones.  If they want to use a second round pick on one. If they get one for AJM and sign a free agent O-lineman I would seriously consider it.  If they can't get one of the top TEs I might use a late pick on a blocking type.

Offensive Tackle

I was hopeful that Ced O and Fisher would develop into good players.  Needless to say that did not happen.  The 2 prime backups are old and on the downside of their careers.  Fisher's medical condition makes him a huge question mark.  There is a chance the procedure "fixed" him and he could develop into a good player.  Or it could end his career.  He certainly cannot be counted on.

Need: Dire.  I would draft the best one available in 1 even it it means a little bit of a reach.  And I would draft another one by the end of 3.  And/or sign a free agent who isn't 90 years old and hurt all the time.

Guard

Boling is good enough at LG that it's not a need.  I was not impressed with Hopkins, at least early.  Westerman and Redmond played capably the last 2 games.  None of them are "studs" but I think they were good enough to be capable if tackle and center (up next) are improved.

Need: Minor.  I would still consider drafting a big body mauler at RG if one is available and BPA but I think they are adequate if the rest of the line is improved.

Center

Bodine has been a disappointment.  He is also a free agent.  Let him go.  TJ Johnson is an adequate backup.  

Need: HIGH.  High enough that I would consider Price in 1 with a trade back a few spots IF the top OTs are gone.  I would certainly take one in 2.  If a good free agent is available I'd look there too.

Defensive End

Michael Johnson is nearing the end of his career, but he seems to have found a role as a part time end/nickel DT.  Carl Lawson if nothing else is a great 3rd down nickel rusher.  Carlos Dunlap is one of the best LDEs in the game.  Jordan Willis showed some promise.  Chris Smith showed some flashes, but did very little late as Willis and Lawson developed.

Need: Depth.  Because of other, more pressing needs, I would not draft one before the 4th round (unless something stupid happens, like Chubb is there at 12), but a late round depth pick is a possibility.  Or, again, a free agent.

Defensive Tackle

Geno is a top 2 or 3 DT in the league.  Sims was ok, but is a free agent.  Billings didn't show as much as I hoped, but hopefully another year and he improves.  He certainly has the physical tools.  Ryan Glasgow had a nice rookie year and is a capable backup 3T.  Did Tupou play at all?

Need: Mild.  Depth at least if Sims is not re-signed.  Again, I would not take one early because of other needs, but a mid to late round pick on a 4-3 NT would be on my radar.

Linebacker

Burfict is the heart and soul, and extended at the start of the season.  Minter was a disappointment, and is a free agent.  Vigil was up and down.  Evans has some nice physical tools.  Rey isn't someone I would want playing starters snaps, but is adequate as "give a guy a rest" backup and a good special teams player.  I think a starting 3 of Burfict/Evans/Vigil is good enough.  

Need: It would be nice to add a "stud" MLB, but the O-line need is too big to even think about LB in the first couple of rounds unless we sign a free agent or 2.  I still wouldn't take one in 1.

Cornerback

William Jackson may now be the best CB we have had in a long time.  DPI Kirkpatrick is capable when he has the right matchup (a big WR who isn't a burner).  But he also just signed a big contract extension and isn't going anywhere.  I think he's ok as a #2 CB.  Dennard had his best season as a pro and I think will get an extension.  Shaw was something of a disappointment.  Adam Jones is at an age where he is best in limited snaps so he can stay healthy.  He has 1 year left, and Mike Brown loves him so I don't think he's going anywhere.

Need: Minimal.  As a friend who played football likes to say you can never have too many fast guys and fat guys.  So a late round depth pick will always be in play.  Then again, it is an even numbered year, so if Denzel Ward is available......     :ninja:            ??         :lol: 

Safety

Iloka and Williams have developed into a reliable pair of starters.  While neither one is a "center fielder" FS, Brandon Wilson could develop into that.  Clayton Fejedelem has developed into a solid backup/teams player.  

Need: Minimal/depth.  I have seen mock drafts that have us taking a safety in 1, but that's not happening.  If it was going to happen they would have taken Hooker last year.

Kicker

Bullock wasn't an all pro by any stretch, and a lot of people were upset we kept him over Elliot, but he made a higher % of kicks, and made the only 50 yarder he was allowed to attempt. Jonathan Brown is on the PS, and everything I hear is his leg is huge.  

Need: Not huge.  But if Daniel Carlson is there with our comp 5 (for Whit) I'd think long and hard about taking him.  He is considered an even better prospect than Elliot was.  He was the #1 kicker last year until he decided to return to Auburn.

Punter

Kevin Huber had a really good year and is under contract.

Need: None.

Longsnapper

Clark Harris has been invisible as a snapper.  Which is exactly what you want.  He's a solid teams tackler too.

Returner

Erickson was not as good this year as last, but he is good enough.  And there are other guys on the roster who can also do the job.

Coaching Staff

Outside the scope of this review.  But let's be honest.  If Marvin leaves the top external candidates probably won't get a look.  Simmons and Guenther would at least get interviews, and if we went internal I would not object to Simmons, especially if he could bring in quality coordinators.  My guess is Marvin may be back and a few, but not all of the assistants.

good write up jason.. I pretty much agree with everything....... as always..

the only thing  i disagree with is Bodine being a good enough guard...:P

and if Minkah Fitzpatrick is there at 12...I want the Bengals to run to the podium and pick him.. I know we need O-line sooooooooo bad....

but a bad ass safety would help this team so much.. that kid is a player 

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Wide Receiver

Need: IMO, as of now we do not have a true #2 WR.  Plenty of candidates but no one proven that is "exciting".  I could see them looking at a free agent upgrade to LaFell as insurance but unless it's a BPA pick I don't think they draft one.

Offensive Tackle

Need: Dire.  I would draft the best one available in 1 even it it means a little bit of a reach.  And I would draft another one by the end of 3.  And/or sign a free agent who isn't 90 years old and hurt all the time.

Guard

Boling is good enough at LG that it's not a need.  I was not impressed with Hopkins, at least early.  Westerman and Redmond played capably the last 2 games.  None of them are "studs" but I think they were good enough to be capable if tackle and center (up next) are improved.

Need: Minor.  I would still consider drafting a big body mauler at RG if one is available and BPA but I think they are adequate if the rest of the line is improved.

Linebacker

Burfict is the heart and soul, and extended at the start of the season.  Minter was a disappointment, and is a free agent.  Vigil was up and down.  Evans has some nice physical tools.  Rey isn't someone I would want playing starters snaps, but is adequate as "give a guy a rest" backup and a good special teams player.  I think a starting 3 of Burfict/Evans/Vigil is good enough.  

Need: It would be nice to add a "stud" MLB, but the O-line need is too big to even think about LB in the first couple of rounds unless we sign a free agent or 2.  I still wouldn't take one in 1.

Cornerback

William Jackson may now be the best CB we have had in a long time.  DPI Kirkpatrick is capable when he has the right matchup (a big WR who isn't a burner).  But he also just signed a big contract extension and isn't going anywhere.  I think he's ok as a #2 CB.  Dennard had his best season as a pro and I think will get an extension.  Shaw was something of a disappointment.  Adam Jones is at an age where he is best in limited snaps so he can stay healthy.  He has 1 year left, and Mike Brown loves him so I don't think he's going anywhere.

Safety

Iloka and Williams have developed into a reliable pair of starters.  While neither one is a "center fielder" FS, Brandon Wilson could develop into that.  Clayton Fejedelem has developed into a solid backup/teams player.  

Need: Minimal/depth.  I have seen mock drafts that have us taking a safety in 1, but that's not happening.  If it was going to happen they would have taken Hooker last year.

Returner

Erickson was not as good this year as last, but he is good enough.  And there are other guys on the roster who can also do the job.

Just going to touch on the parts I disagree with.

WR - They're 100% not going to cut LaFell to sign a different vet FA. If they replace LaFell it will be yet another draft pick or a player on the roster taking his spot, there's pretty much 0% chance the Bengals cut Brandon LaFell to add an outside free agent to play the same position. That's not how this team operates whatsoever.

OT - It's a need but we have more needs where I wouldn't automatically take OT at #12 overall without considering anything else. As crazy as it could sound, Boling could be our new LT if we can find a pair of guards we're happy with. Andre played well enough that he can be our RT for another year as a stopgap.

OG - I think this is a huge spot for us because Boling could realistically be our best option at LT going into 2018. We obviously have a huge need at C, so it just depends on how the coaches feel about the guards on the roster (or in the draft/FA). Flip LT/OG for me as far as needs go depending on where Boling plays.

LB - Evans and Vigil are so bad that it blows my mind to see anyone write that those two plus Burfict (who hasn't played a full season in 5 years) is "good enough". Burfict is good enough to not make that the worst LB corp in the league, but it's still pretty damn close. Evans and Vigil are not good quality starting NFL LBs. I don't want to draft one highly either, but LB is cheap enough in FA and we desperately need help there. The team has tried year after year and we can't seem to make the vet FA LB work though.

CB - Not in huge disagreement but I want to point out how the Bengals operate CB wise. I see a lot of people saying that WJIII should be our "#1 CB" and to demote Dre or whatever, but that's if you don't know how our defensive backs are set on each play. Dre Kirk plays field side, WJIII (or Jones) plays boundary. That's just how it is. Kirkpatrick does have a nice "out" in that big contract but look for him to play CB for us for at least another couple of seasons. People can argue that WJIII and Dre should swap positions, but WJIII is amazing where he is already and the coaches like Dre where he's at.

S - Iloka and Williams playing a couple of good games can't take away how terrible safety play has been overall this year. I don't think we should be throwing both starters out due to 1 poor season but I wouldn't mind looking for an upgrade if possible (aka if James/Fitzpatrick drop to #12 overall). The big problem here is we do have solid backups (however, these guys need to remain backups) so I don't know where a future starter to groom would fit on the roster. We'd have to cut one of our already solid backups or starters which neither will be likely to happen. I'd like to see an upgrade at S but I don't know if there's room to make it happen, especially with pressing needs elsewhere.

Returner - Erickson was awful this year. We saw a bunch of fumbles with some poor decision making throughout the year. I don't see why he would be untouchable at this point and I wouldn't mind replacing him with someone that's already on the team if possible.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Just going to touch on the parts I disagree with.

WR - They're 100% not going to cut LaFell to sign a different vet FA. If they replace LaFell it will be yet another draft pick or a player on the roster taking his spot, there's pretty much 0% chance the Bengals cut Brandon LaFell to add an outside free agent to play the same position. That's not how this team operates whatsoever.

OT - It's a need but we have more needs where I wouldn't automatically take OT at #12 overall without considering anything else. As crazy as it could sound, Boling could be our new LT if we can find a pair of guards we're happy with. Andre played well enough that he can be our RT for another year as a stopgap.

OG - I think this is a huge spot for us because Boling could realistically be our best option at LT going into 2018. We obviously have a huge need at C, so it just depends on how the coaches feel about the guards on the roster (or in the draft/FA). Flip LT/OG for me as far as needs go depending on where Boling plays.

LB - Evans and Vigil are so bad that it blows my mind to see anyone write that those two plus Burfict (who hasn't played a full season in 5 years) is "good enough". Burfict is good enough to not make that the worst LB corp in the league, but it's still pretty damn close. Evans and Vigil are not good quality starting NFL LBs. I don't want to draft one highly either, but LB is cheap enough in FA and we desperately need help there. The team has tried year after year and we can't seem to make the vet FA LB work though.

CB - Not in huge disagreement but I want to point out how the Bengals operate CB wise. I see a lot of people saying that WJIII should be our "#1 CB" and to demote Dre or whatever, but that's if you don't know how our defensive backs are set on each play. Dre Kirk plays field side, WJIII (or Jones) plays boundary. That's just how it is. Kirkpatrick does have a nice "out" in that big contract but look for him to play CB for us for at least another couple of seasons. People can argue that WJIII and Dre should swap positions, but WJIII is amazing where he is already and the coaches like Dre where he's at.

S - Iloka and Williams playing a couple of good games can't take away how terrible safety play has been overall this year. I don't think we should be throwing both starters out due to 1 poor season but I wouldn't mind looking for an upgrade if possible (aka if James/Fitzpatrick drop to #12 overall). The big problem here is we do have solid backups (however, these guys need to remain backups) so I don't know where a future starter to groom would fit on the roster. We'd have to cut one of our already solid backups or starters which neither will be likely to happen. I'd like to see an upgrade at S but I don't know if there's room to make it happen, especially with pressing needs elsewhere.

Returner - Erickson was awful this year. We saw a bunch of fumbles with some poor decision making throughout the year. I don't see why he would be untouchable at this point and I wouldn't mind replacing him with someone that's already on the team if possible.

I realize they probably will stick with LaFell.  I would like them to upgrade with a better FA.

If they want a franchise LT, it probably needs to be at 12.  I think they need to draft 2 OTs as well.

Good enough for now.  I'm not saying it doesn't need to be addressed at some point, but this draft IMO needs to focus on fixing the O-line.  This team with a better line and the same LBs is good enough to win a playoff game.  This team with better LBs and the same OL is 8-8.

As for CB, I am hoping the new DC is going to match up.  I know under the current scheme they play sides.  I'm REALLY hoping that changes.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I realize they probably will stick with LaFell.  I would like them to upgrade with a better FA.

If they want a franchise LT, it probably needs to be at 12.  I think they need to draft 2 OTs as well.

Good enough for now.  I'm not saying it doesn't need to be addressed at some point, but this draft IMO needs to focus on fixing the O-line.  This team with a better line and the same LBs is good enough to win a playoff game.  This team with better LBs and the same OL is 8-8.

As for CB, I am hoping the new DC is going to match up.  I know under the current scheme they play sides.  I'm REALLY hoping that changes.

I like the idea of John Brown. His injury hx means that he wont always be available but we managed with 7 WRs on the roster this year and could do so next. If available he is a solid #2 WR. If not we have other options. He would likely come cheap with an incentive laden 1 year deal. 

On 1/1/2018 at 10:49 PM, fluhartz said:

good write up jason.. I pretty much agree with everything....... as always..

the only thing  i disagree with is Bodine being a good enough guard...:P

and if Minkah Fitzpatrick is there at 12...I want the Bengals to run to the podium and pick him.. I know we need O-line sooooooooo bad....

but a bad ass safety would help this team so much.. that kid is a player 

We better run for Derwin James not fitpatrick. James play is like I'm watching Sean Taylor all over again.

3 hours ago, Jpoore said:

We better run for Derwin James not fitpatrick. James play is like I'm watching Sean Taylor all over again.

Sean Taylor wouldn't survive in todays NFL...   He would get suspended every week he played..

Hell.. he speared guys in the pro bowl game... lol 

2 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Sean Taylor wouldn't survive in todays NFL...   He would get suspended every week he played..

Hell.. he speared guys in the pro bowl game... lol 

Lol true that. But that's who he reminds me of can play every single position at 223 pounds.

On 1/2/2018 at 9:49 AM, Jason said:

Wouldn't mind a DC who comes with a useful FA piece (or two) in tow.

6 hours ago, snarkster said:

Wouldn't mind a DC who comes with a useful FA piece (or two) in tow.

Jack Del Rio + NaVorro Bowman?

Sucks because Bowman seems to want to stay with the Raiders and has publicly voiced his excitement for Gruden to land there. Maybe somehow Gruden doesn't get the job and we get Del Rio to convince him to come here (assuming we hire Del Rio of course)? I dunno, Bowman is one of the better UFAs at a position we desperately need help at so that would be super cool, but it's very unlikely as of right now.

32 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Jack Del Rio + NaVorro Bowman?

Sucks because Bowman seems to want to stay with the Raiders and has publicly voiced his excitement for Gruden to land there. Maybe somehow Gruden doesn't get the job and we get Del Rio to convince him to come here (assuming we hire Del Rio of course)? I dunno, Bowman is one of the better UFAs at a position we desperately need help at so that would be super cool, but it's very unlikely as of right now.

Do you think Del Rio is a realistic possibility? I hope so. I have always liked him. 

Just now, Hooky said:

Do you think Del Rio is a realistic possibility? I hope so. I have always liked him. 

I hope it's a possibility. He was the LB coach when Marvin was DC in Baltimore so there's at least a connection there.

So far all we have on the agenda is an interview with Teryl Austin (Lion's current DC), but he's under contract still and IMO it's just a Rooney Rule interview. There are no ties to Marvin or the Bengals that I can tell with his past work and he hasn't produced many good defenses, so it would be confusing that we'd specifically want to interview him, of all DCs under contract, unless it's just to get the Rooney Rule satisfied early so we can hire someone asap.

33 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I hope it's a possibility. He was the LB coach when Marvin was DC in Baltimore so there's at least a connection there.

So far all we have on the agenda is an interview with Teryl Austin (Lion's current DC), but he's under contract still and IMO it's just a Rooney Rule interview. There are no ties to Marvin or the Bengals that I can tell with his past work and he hasn't produced many good defenses, so it would be confusing that we'd specifically want to interview him, of all DCs under contract, unless it's just to get the Rooney Rule satisfied early so we can hire someone asap.

Does the Rooney rule apply to assistants?

50 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It seems to me we have a team full of guys "just good enough".

Which is totally normal for an NFL team to have a lot of in a salary capped league, but also an issue when there's too many "just good enough" guys because then how do you decide who to actively replace? We obviously have some holes to fill but past that, which guys do you look to upgrade when you have a lot of solid starters on your team and you don't typically try to replace a solid starter in this league.

38 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Does the Rooney rule apply to assistants?

I read that people were saying it applies to DC/OC positions but from what I'm reading up on, I guess it doesn't.

Looks like it applies to HC and then any position like GM, EVP, etc. whatever the team wants to call a senior operating position since it doesn't HAVE to be "GM" specifically.

Offense.

QB - Marvin on a 2 year deal isnt going to replace Dalton and have to train up a rookie QB in his place. Not happening. Backup QB will be looked at only if A. McCarron wins in arbitration or B. We are able to trade him.

RB - Joe Mixon will take over as the full time starter, Jermey Hill will be elsewhere, Gio is signed though 2019, we will be looking to add a 3rd guy in later rounds imo.

WR - AJ Green is one of the top in the league. John Ross will have to step up this coming season and take Lafell's spot as Fafell is nothing but a journeyman. Boyd shows potential in the slot. After that the rest of the guys are role players and can be replaced. We might take a guy but it wont be earlier than the 4th round.

TE - the position can be upgraded, but we have far deeper needs. I think we see the Bengals offer Eiffert a "prove it" deal since he cant stay healthy but when he is is elite, Kroft and Uzoma are both signed through 2018. TE will be a position of need after 2018 so they may attempt to get a guy for the future but that will depend on how free agency shakes out.

FB - we are basically playing Hewitt at this position even though he is listed as a TE. I think he stays

G - Clint Boling is the only one on the line who's job is safe. We will be looking at getting him a complement on the other side.

C - Bodine they are already alluding to is gone. Bye Felicia.

T - When you miss on both T spots in the draft to replace guys who were all pro in whiteworth and pretty good in Andre Smith ....and the guys you replace them with are painfully hard to watch it explains your struggles. Both spots need to be looked at.

Defense

DE - Dunap is a lock, Michael Johnson imo is overrated but he wont be going anywhere. Depth is needed however.

DT - After Geno the rest of the guys are young and growing and in some cases replaceable. With bigger needs on the O side of the ball unless someone drops to them in the draft I think they stay pat with what they have.

LB - Vontaze is they heart of the D, after that Lawson showed to be amazing as a rookie pass rush specialist, he needs to round out his game so he can start. After that Vinnie Rey I like as the 4th LB off the bench, Vigil is ok and growing the rest of them arent that good. We need to address the MLB spot as Kevin Minter isnt good.

CB - I think we play the youth and that Pacman takes a step back into a backup role or is let go. WJ3 is our best CB imo, Dre K is a decent #2 being paid like a #1 but whatever, Dennard imo has grown into his role. We may take some guys for depth though.

S - due to the contracts we gave both starting safeties we wont take one high, but we do need a 3rd guy because depth isnt good.

Special Teams

P - Huber is one of the best in the league, this is not a need.

K - We will bring in guys after the draft to compete with Bullock but we wont draft anyone imo

After that we will use whatever youth we have to replace ageing vets like Cedric Peerman, who imo is our best gunner but is also 31.

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I believe the Rooney Rule only applies to Head Coaches doesnt it?

3 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Which is totally normal for an NFL team to have a lot of in a salary capped league, but also an issue when there's too many "just good enough" guys because then how do you decide who to actively replace? We obviously have some holes to fill but past that, which guys do you look to upgrade when you have a lot of solid starters on your team and you don't typically try to replace a solid starter in this league.

I don't think we have many solid starters at all.  Couple on the d line, one linebacker, safties are very meh, corners are ok.

Offense is full of marginal starters at best, AJ Green, Andy, Mixon/Gio and Boling only solid starters.  Kroft was 21st in yards in the NFL but was 70th in yards per catch and 46th in 1st down percentage.  He isn't all that. LaFell is old. 

Archived