Who's your Tyler

With Eifert coming off yet another injured season and his contract expiring, would you pay him? As much as I like him, I wouldn't.

I think Tyler Kroft has shown me enough that I would be comfortable with him as our #1 TE. I think he's not that much of a drop off from Eifert at this point. He's improved over the course of this past season and has really turned out to be a force to be reckoned with. We also have Uzoma as a back up which isn't too bad either so the TE position is in good hands.

I think there is a step drop off in terms of talent but look at Kroft's numbers for this year and compare them to Eifert's 2 (of 5) healthy seasons. Actually, forget the numbers, watch the games. Outside of Kroft dropping a couple passes the last month of the season, he's been everything you could ask for in a tight end. He's been sharing second fiddle with Oz and finally got a chance to be the man this year and was able to prove he can be as productive as Eifert. On top of him just being a good ball player, he has stayed super healthy and isn't going to be getting an elite talent TE contract (we need to extend him now). Eifert seems like an awesome guy and he can definitely move as well as any TE in the league but if you can't stay healthy, none of that matters. I'll take Kroft all day.

Re-sign Eifert for peanuts, but plan on Kroft being the starter.  Kroft is not some late round scrub.  He is a long (6'5", 240) athletic third round pick who caught 43 passes his sophomore season at Rutgers. 

I don't trust "pro day" numbers as much as combine numbers, but after not being able to run at the combine Kroft put up numbers at his pro day workout that would have ranked top six among the 18 TEs at the combine in six different events (top THREE in 5 of them).

Short Shuttle... 4.20 (1st)
3-cone drill...... 7.12 (2nd)
Long Jump...... 10' (2nd)
Long Shuttle... 11.78 (2nd) (not sure how many even run this anymore)
Forty dash...... 4.67 (3rd)
Vertical.......... 34" (6th)

8 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Re-sign Eifert for peanuts, but plan on Kroft being the starter.  Kroft is not some late round scrub.  He is a long (6'5", 240) athletic third round pick who caught 43 passes his sophomore season at Rutgers. 

I don't trust "pro day" numbers as much as combine numbers, but after not being able to run at the combine Kroft put up numbers at his pro day workout that would have ranked top six among the 18 TEs at the combine in six different events (top THREE in 5 of them).

Short Shuttle... 4.20 (1st)
3-cone drill...... 7.12 (2nd)
Long Jump...... 10' (2nd)
Long Shuttle... 11.78 (2nd) (not sure how many even run this anymore)
Forty dash...... 4.67 (3rd)
Vertical.......... 34" (6th)

Man that kid sounds like an amazing prospect, I can't wait to see him on the field in the pros to see what he can really do!

10 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Man that kid sounds like an amazing prospect, I can't wait to see him on the field in the pros to see what he can really do!

You should have paid more attention.  He played for us this year.

Only 5 other TEs had more receiving TDs, and among the 25 TEs that had at least 2 receptions per game he ranked 11th in the percentage of targets he caught (67.7).

Not a huge star, but far from a scrub.  Almost half of the teams in the league (13) do not have a TE with as many receiving yards as Kroft.

37 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

You should have paid more attention.  He played for us this year.

Only 5 other TEs had more receiving TDs, and among the 25 TEs that had at least 2 receptions per game he ranked 11th in the percentage of targets he caught (67.7).

Not a huge star, but far from a scrub.  Almost half of the teams in the league (13) do not have a TE with as many receiving yards as Kroft.

Tyler Kroft is an OK TE, my post was 100% focused on how big of a fucking goofball someone has to be to lay out pro-day stats from 3 years ago instead of maybe posting about what they've liked from him in the NFL. "Top 6" (lol) in a few drills a few years ago means jack shit today and will tomorrow as well.

Anyway, I think we could use another TE to compliment him and I don't really like Uzomah very much. Kroft "starting" isn't very exciting but he's fine I guess. His blocking isn't amazing and he's less of a pass catching threat than a lot of TEs out there. He's a good RZ threat from inside the 5 (which is great to have), but he's not very exciting otherwise. He had a couple of really nice plays this year (so did almost every other TE in the NFL) and I'm glad our backup TE isn't completely awful, but Fred I just honestly don't give a fuck how many teams had TEs with 2 receptions per game or how fast his long shuttle was in 2014. He's a solid all around TE and I'm glad we have him but Kroft starting isn't very exciting when we don't have good WR play right now. He has the perfect skillset to compliment a team that already has a solid line and WR corp.

The only people who vigorously jerk off about Tyler Kroft having 400 yards and 7 TDs (while not being able to block very well) are people who root for a team that doesn't have playmakers anywhere else on their offense. It's kind of sad if 2014 offseason long shuttle numbers are what comes up in a discussion about our 2017 TEs.

Yeah, Kroft has proven he can play well and stay healthy. If Eifert would stick around on a lowball contract for a year or two, then I wouldn't mind. But in all likelihood some owner like Dan Snyder (who also has a super talented, very injury prone TE in Jordan Reed) will throw more money than we'd be willing to pay and he'd be gone, in which case I'd say good riddance. Then he'll go on to put up Gronk-like numbers on his new team and never get injured again. That's how these things seem to work around here.

Kroft>I-hurt all day.  

7 TD's stepping in as a back-up was impressive.  There's a physical aspect to his game, finishing blocks & lowering the shoulder for YAC in a way that would send Eifert to IR just by watching.  He's also one of the few players on the team that never seemed to have quit.  He may not be Jason Witten but I'd say he's earned the job here.

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Tyler Kroft is an OK TE, my post was 100% focused on how big of a fucking goofball someone has to be to lay out pro-day stats from 3 years ago instead of maybe posting about what they've liked from him in the NFL.

Too bad some people are more interested in insulting other members than discussing the actual topic of the thread.

But I had a very valid reason for posting those numbers.  Many people here don't think Kroft is very athletic.

11 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Kroft>I-hurt all day.  

7 TD's stepping in as a back-up was impressive.  There's a physical aspect to his game, finishing blocks & lowering the shoulder for YAC in a way that would send Eifert to IR just by watching.  He's also one of the few players on the team that never seemed to have quit.  He may not be Jason Witten but I'd say he's earned the job here.

That's one of the things I really like about him. IIRC, a pretty high % of his yardage this year was YAC. I just wish he was a bit more of a threat 10-15 yards downfield instead of getting fed 4 yard passes that he has to take the extra 10 if he wants them. Can't knock his effort either which is a good thing.

It just gets old having 22 conversations about how "OK but not great" all of our players are lol yes that's an exaggeration before the thought police come looking, but you know what I mean. I wish more of our guys were actually good so we didn't have to debate whether they're slightly above or slightly below average.

3 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I wish more of our guys were actually good so we didn't have to debate whether they're slightly above or slightly below average.

And I wish that every Bengal who is not top 5 in the league at his position was not called "garbage" by a lot of people here.

26 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

That's one of the things I really like about him. IIRC, a pretty high % of his yardage this year was YAC. I just wish he was a bit more of a threat 10-15 yards downfield instead of getting fed 4 yard passes that he has to take the extra 10 if he wants them. Can't knock his effort either which is a good thing.

It just gets old having 22 conversations about how "OK but not great" all of our players are lol yes that's an exaggeration before the thought police come looking, but you know what I mean. I wish more of our guys were actually good so we didn't have to debate whether they're slightly above or slightly below average.

I think our offense's skill positions are all at least "good enough for now" if not genuinely good vs NFL average.  That being said,  AJ & Gio are the only ones I think we'd truly miss.  I'd throw Mixon, Boling, & yes aNdY dErRrRLToN into the conversation.  Maybe an equal number of guys on defense; Burdock, Atkins, Dunlap, WJ3, probably Iloka.

More to the point, I don't think we're getting to see the best version of ANY of those guys yet.  I don't think this organization as it stands is capable of bringing that out of them for the many reasons we're all aware of, if not in 100% agreement on all of them.   I wish it was the players holding the  franchise back and not the other way around.   The musical chairs at OL tanked this season early but they aren't some group of scrubs inherited by a new coach.  Kind of funny that the one position group that was not a complete mess when Marvin took over was the OL.  Hmm... But the one pre-Marvin coach remaining is the OL coach, and our OL has gone from dominant to in the running for league's worst.  Puzzling.  

Here's a guy I would want at TE, because he's such a great athlete...

Mystery TE 6' 4" 255lbs           Eifert 6' 5.5" 250lbs

Short Shuttle... 4.18                4.32
3-cone drill...... 7.37                6.92
Long Jump...... 9' 9"                9' 11"
Forty dash...... 4.73                 4.68
Vertical.......... 36"                   35.5"

Guess who this mystery TE is... on par with Eiferts combine numbers.

41 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

Here's a guy I would want at TE, because he's such a great athlete...

Mystery TE 6' 4" 255lbs           Eifert 6' 5.5" 250lbs

Short Shuttle... 4.18                4.32
3-cone drill...... 7.37                6.92
Long Jump...... 9' 9"                9' 11"
Forty dash...... 4.73                 4.68
Vertical.......... 36"                   35.5"

Guess who this mystery TE is... on par with Eiferts combine numbers.

Workout numbers should never be the sole basis for evaluating a prospect.  You first need to determine who the top prospects are before you start evaluating how their athletic ability will effect their performance in the NFL. 

This guy you want to be a TE might not even play that position.  In that case it would be incredibly stupid to want him as a TE based on work out numbers alone.

Archived