Coaching Staff Changes

3 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

Maybe because there have been reports that Gruden wants him for the Raiders?

Chucky hasn't even been named HC there...only that he is a "candidate" (his words). I see absolutely nothing of substance anywhere stating his erstwhile staff selections. So these "reports" are simply unsubstantiated nothing burgers. 

Paul Guenther is no longer under contract...he can speak for himself. I question why these "journalists" don't ask him these questions directly? It is because it is easier to cite "reports" and "sources" than it is to actually investigate. 

I am so nauseous with fake news I could hurl. I will go back to lurking now. 

9 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Chucky hasn't even been named HC there...only that he is a "candidate" (his words). I see absolutely nothing of substance anywhere stating his erstwhile staff selections. So these "reports" are simply unsubstantiated nothing burgers. 

Paul Guenther is no longer under contract...he can speak for himself. I question why these "journalists" don't ask him these questions directly? It is because it is easier to cite "reports" and "sources" than it is to actually investigate. 

Sounds good.

j/k. I suspect Paul is just letting it be known that he isn’t staying and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants to go a different way or have other opportunities. 

IMO the best reasonable option is he is still RFA, they put the 2nd round tender on him and he leaves for that.  I don't think he has proven nearly enough to give up a first round pick, especially one as high as the teams in need of a QB will have.

While I thin the almost trade with Cleveland was robbery who is coming out that is better. I'd keep either dalton or scooter over any of them but maybe Rosen Old mic Darnold is too turn over prone and mayfield is Ryan leaf junior

Bears John DeFelipo (1/5), Pat Shurmur, Josh McDaniels (1/5), Steve Wilks, Matt Nagy
Panicky Idiots MARVIN LEWIS
Colts Kris Richard, Josh McDaniels (1/4), Matt Nagy, Steve Wilks, Mike Vrabel
Giants Matt Patricia, Josh McDaniels (1/5), Jim Schwartz, Eric Studesville (1/5), Steve Wilks, Pat Shurmur (1/6), Steve Spagnulou (1/3)
Lions Matt Patricia, Mike Vrabel (1/3), Pat Shurmur (1/4), Winston Moss (1/2), Teryl Austin (1/2), Steve Wilks, Jim Bob Cooter (1/2)
Raiders JOHN GRUDEN
Cardinals Pat Shurmur (1/5), Matt Patricia, Brian Flores, Mike Munchack, John DeFelipo (1/6), Keith Armstrong, James Bettcher (1/3), Jim Schwartz

3 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Reading the Hobson article, it sounds like they are bringing Lazor back. 

What a glorious day. 

That makes sense to keep the coordinator who had the team at or near the bottom of the league in most categories (scoring, total yards, rushing, 3rd down %, time of possession).  Meanwhile, Paulie G moves on by his own choice and will probably be replaced by Haslett or Coyle.  Defense has plenty of talent and should be good even with a new coordinator, but it's hard to be optimistic about the offense without major changes on the o-line.  

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Can't do anything because they have to interview minority candidates or pay a fine. 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-eyes-offense-in-return/2d14398b-8a53-4e5b-b781-4a44604e2929

Lewis eyes offense in return

Geoff Hobson

Posted 6 hours ago

Marvin Lewis said he had no change of heart. The reports of his departure as the long-time Bengals head coach at the end of this season turned out to be  “Dewey defeats Truman.” Lewis didn’t step away from the Bengals or get kicked upstairs Tuesday, as several outlets reported would happen two weeks ago. Instead he signed up for the same job he’s had for the last 15 seasons for two more years.

“No change of heart,” said Lewis Tuesday evening as he worked on evaluating moves with his coaching staff.  “As I said many times, I just take it day-to- day. I’m excited about the opportunity to fulfill my job. Which is to win a Super Bowl. That’s what I’m excited about.”

The re-signing comes after two days of meetings with the club’s family management team headed by Bengals president Mike Brown and figures to be followed by a number of significant moves on the coaching staff mirroring 2014 when he replaced his offensive and defensive coordinators.

“On Friday he said we’d talk Monday morning,” Lewis said. “After the game we decided to talk Tuesday. And we talked Monday. Whenever Mike was ready to discuss 2018 and the future, we would discuss it.”

In providing the team’s second surprising finish in 48 hours, Brown and Lewis stayed together after hammering out what appeared to be primarily coaching personnel. Issues such as roster control and salaries for assistants apparently weren’t part of the discussion.

“(Brown) has his input that he feels in some ways strong about,” Lewis said. “He has those prerogatives encouraging me certain ways. But he doesn’t interfere with me coaching the team.”

Brown, always squeamish about change and even more unsettled about firing coaches, seemed to come to the same conclusion he has since he hired Lewis in 2003 and he has become the franchise’s most successful and longest tenured coach, doubling the eight seasons each of Bengals founder Paul Brown and Super Bowl head coach Sam Wyche.  After watching the Bengals finish 7-9 with three fourth-quarter losses, he may have sensed they were closer to getting back to the playoffs by tweaking what they have with Lewis rather than blowing it up with a newcomer.

And it is a thin crop of candidates this offseason that doesn't have half the track record of Lewis or the familiar names of a Hue Jackson or Jay Gruden.

He also may have been emboldened by two other 7-9 teams with veteran coaches (Washington and Green Bay) not firing their coaches. Green Bay even gave Mike McCarthy a year extension. The Bengals and Packers are two of the seven teams that came into this season with at least six post-season berths since 2009.

As for Lewis, thought to be interested in Arizona because of family ties or moving to the front office, he said, “The grass isn’t always greener.”

Asked what made him sign on the line again he said, “The job’s not done. I was entrusted to win a Super Bowl and I have the opportunity to finish it.”

The last time Lewis finished a season without a contract was 2010, another losing season at 4-12, and they re-booted with the drafting of Dalton and A.J. Green and made the playoffs five straight seasons. It looks like there’s another re-boot coming, but with some new assistant coaches instead of players.

Reports that the Bengals are losing defensive coordinator Paul Guenther after four seasons appear to be premature. It's believed he won't make a call until he meets with Mike Brown and that could happen as soon as Wednesday.

"He'll get a chance to say yes or no and we do or we don't," Lewis said.

It’s believed they’d like to wrap up Darrin Simmons, the only special teams coordinator Lewis has had here, but that’s not done yet.

And, going by Lewis’ effusive praise of incumbent offensive coordinator Bill Lazor, he could be sticking with him, which is basically a new hire. Lewis gave his quarterbacks coach the OC duties five days and two games into the season after the Bengals failed to score a touchdown. But it sounds like there could be more moves on the offensive side of the ball to make his coordinator more comfortable as the Bengals try to scratch out of the No. 32 and last offensive ranking in the NFL.

“He’s very comfortable with how I see it,” Lewis said of Lazor, although he didn’t announce he was the guy. “We basically wasted the 2,000 snaps of OTAs and training camp because it was through another man’s eyes. When Bill took over, Bill was able to try and work through things that had been already done without trying to slow our players down. He tried to work in the constraints of the way things were and the things that had been installed.”

Lewis is clear on what he wants the 2018 offensive staff to improve:

“Up front and we have to improve the play of our quarterback and get him back to being comfortable and get him back to be the Andy Dalton we know day in and day out.”

Lewis isn’t worried about players shutting out his message after 15 seasons.

“The message changes. The message is never constant. The message changes all the time. Obviously our players hear me. I don’t have any questions about that,” Lewis said. “Hell, the roster changes daily, yearly. Our veteran guys who have been here, the guys we drafted in ’10, the guys that are left from ’09, they’ve done a great job getting the football team moving forward with the young guys that came in ’16 and ’17.”

If Lewis serves out his two-year deal, he’ll become just the fourth man in the Super Bowl Era to coach the same club for 17 straight seasons, joining Miami’s Don Shula, New England’s Bill Belichick, and Tennessee’s Jeff Fisher. 

Lewis, 59, won his 125th game on Sunday when the Bengals knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs in stunning fashion on a 49-yard TD pass with 44 seconds left on fourth-and-12. That puts him in a tie for 26th on the NFL’s all-time victories list with Jim Mora Sr. Last season he passed Mora with the most regular-season games coached (240) without a play-off victory.

"I'm not thinking about winning a play-off game. Never crossed my mind," Lewis said. "I'm just thinking about a world's championship."

3 hours ago, Jason said:

IMO the best reasonable option is he is still RFA, they put the 2nd round tender on him and he leaves for that.  I don't think he has proven nearly enough to give up a first round pick, especially one as high as the teams in need of a QB will have.

I agree he wouldn't be worth a 1st.  I was wondering if they could put the 1st on him and negotiate a 2nd and 3rd or 4th with someone.  You're right though.  A 2nd round tender would be most likely.  Would that be a second in the 2018 draft if he signs before the draft?

The most encouraging thing I saw out of this whole less than encouraging day was in the dot.com article about Lewis wanting to focus on the offense with his return.  It implies there will probably be major changes on the staff.  Lewis seems to intimate Lazor would return and there could be change to make him more comfortable, he also says, Up front and we have to improve the play of our quarterback and get him back to being comfortable and get him back to be the Andy Dalton we know day in and day out.” and neither he nor Hobson even mention Alexander or say he's likely to return.  Not getting my hopes up too high, but this could be a sign that Alexander won't be back and of at least a small victory.

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Defense has plenty of talent and should be good even with a new coordinator

I don't know about that.  They tend to look like shit w/o Burfict on the field & have struggled at times even with him out there.  That being said I think Guenther is overrated & wouldn't really care if he stays or goes if I trusted the FO to make personnel decisions based on merit.  

But I don't, obviously.

6 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

"I'm not thinking about winning a play-off game. Never crossed my mind," Lewis said. "I'm just thinking about a world's championship."

Yeah Coach, we can tell.  Now that I know you're coming back it won't cross my mind, either.

5 hours ago, snarkster said:

I agree he wouldn't be worth a 1st.  I was wondering if they could put the 1st on him and negotiate a 2nd and 3rd or 4th with someone.  You're right though.  A 2nd round tender would be most likely.  Would that be a second in the 2018 draft if he signs before the draft?

Yes.

McCarron should definitely get the first round tag.  It's not all that much higher than the second and then you get to choose where you send him. Otherwise he's destined for a late second round contract somewhere. You tag him with the first and then determine where he goes. 

10 hours ago, saphead said:

Absolutely, this effectively makes the AFC North a 2 team race. The inbreds only have to worry about beating 1 other team to win the division. 

They essentially go into every season starting 4-0. This SUCKS!

On 12/11/2017 at 6:54 AM, Hooky said:

He is not going anywhere. Haven't you guys learned by now?  With that said, I am not spending any more time or money on this team until they make major coaching changes. I'm serious. I did it with the reds. If they want me to watch, they need to give me a team worth watching. Both of them. It's not a fair weather thing. I'll always be a fan of both teams. I'm just not going to watch the crap that either team is running out there.

On 12/11/2017 at 9:12 AM, fredtoast said:

Nomination for drama queen of the week.

On 12/11/2017 at 9:20 AM, omgdrdoom said:

Nah. There's not much of a reason for some of us to believe Marvin is gone until he's actually gone.

Of course this year looks like the most likely to see ML retire/go elsewhere, but I also said that in 2010, 2013, 2015.........

I don't need any stats on Marvin's contract or whatever either. Just the fact remains that a lot of us thought he would have been shitcanned a bunch of other times and he never is.

From a different, older thread but didn't want to resurrect it just to shit on Fred, buuuutttttttt........

:whistle:

10 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Any word if they are retaining Marvin's son, Marcus?

Kid worked so hard to get his position on the coaching staff.

I know.. with all of that hard work I'm surprised he didn't get the head coaching job

I'm actually more OK than I thought I'd be with Marvin staying, but that's under the condition that PA is out.

I'm kind of bummed that according to the Hobspin article that Marvin is happy with most other coaches, but he did make a comment referring to changes being made and it needs to "start up front" so we can get back to Andy playing well again. I'd have to assume that could be foreshadowing the departure of the Assistant to the Regional Manager's Offensive Line Coaching Assistant's Head Coach, Paul Alexander.

I don't think Guenther is great, Simmons' unit (insert beavisandbutthead.gif here) looked VERY poor this year compared to the past, and I don't see what Lazor did to be impressed with. The article seemed to say that Marv wants all 3 of them back, meh. I wish Tobin was one of the big changes supposedly being made, but I won't hold my breath there.

I'll admit that I'll be pretty damn happy even if PA is the only guy out, but this whole "big changes will be made for Marvin to come back" just seems like even more BS than the BS we're used to hearing.

2 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I'm actually more OK than I thought I'd be with Marvin staying, but that's under the condition that PA is out.

I'm kind of bummed that according to the Hobspin article that Marvin is happy with most other coaches, but he did make a comment referring to changes being made and it needs to "start up front" so we can get back to Andy playing well again. I'd have to assume that could be foreshadowing the departure of the Assistant to the Regional Manager's Offensive Line Coaching Assistant's Head Coach, Paul Alexander.

I don't think Guenther is great, Simmons' unit (insert beavisandbutthead.gif here) looked VERY poor this year compared to the past, and I don't see what Lazor did to be impressed with. The article seemed to say that Marv wants all 3 of them back, meh. I wish Tobin was one of the big changes supposedly being made, but I won't hold my breath there.

I'll admit that I'll be pretty damn happy even if PA is the only guy out, but this whole "big changes will be made for Marvin to come back" just seems like even more BS than the BS we're used to hearing.

this...

I will now be surprised if there are any changes at all made...ole marv will just clap and say we gotta work harder... keep shoveling 

Archived