Coaching Staff Changes

Bears John DeFelipo (1/5), Pat Shurmur, Josh McDaniels (1/5), Steve Wilks, Matt Nagy, George Edwards, Vic Fangio (1/3)
Panicky Idiots MARVIN LEWIS
Cardinals Pat Shurmur (1/5), Matt Patricia, Brian Flores, Mike Munchack, John DeFelipo (1/6), Keith Armstrong, James Bettcher (1/3), Jim Schwartz
Colts Kris Richard (1/4), Josh McDaniels (1/4), Matt Nagy, Steve Wilks, Mike Vrabel
Giants Matt Patricia, Josh McDaniels, Jim Schwartz, Eric Studesville (1/4), Steve Wilks, Pat Shurmur (1/6), Steve Spagnulou (1/3)
Lions Matt Patricia, Mike Vrabel (1/3), Pat Shurmur (1/4), Winston Moss (1/2), Teryl Austin (1/2), Steve Wilks, Jim Bob Cooter (1/2)
Raiders JOHN GRUDEN

6 hours ago, schotzee said:

Demand cash? As who and from what perspective?

If I were a coach and was asked by the Vegas Raiders to interview knowing it was simply to satisfy the Rooney Rule and to save them a lot of money, I would ask for a little cash for my time.  Nothing crazy but you scratch my back, I will scratch yours. 

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

If I were a coach and was asked by the Vegas Raiders to interview knowing it was simply to satisfy the Rooney Rule and to save them a lot of money, I would ask for a little cash for my time.  Nothing crazy but you scratch my back, I will scratch yours. 

Gotcha!

32 minutes ago, SF2 said:

My week long interview in oakland would happen to be aboard a sailboat all expenses paid. 

13 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Del Rio makes tons of sense as the DC with his relationship with Marvin.

After doing more research Philbin might make the most sense as an OL and AHC. If not him Tice or Goodwin would be great. 

Leftwich seems to really stand out amongst those QB coaches. 

HARD pass on Philbin, Indy's O-line is not good

I don't think these guys are very good but here is the list

I bet its Austin or Del Rio

Internal candidates

There are a couple of guys already in the building with experience in the job. 

Kevin Coyle, co-secondary coach

Coyle, 61, left the Bengals in 2012 to coordinate the Miami Dolphins defense under Joe Philbin. He held that post until October, 2015 when he was fired. The Dolphins finished No. 7 in the league in scoring defense in 2012 and No. 8 in scoring in 2013.

Jim Haslett, linebackers coach

Haslett, 62, wanted to get back into position coaching when he joined the Bengals two years ago and has been a good fit, but he is ready to coordinate again. A former head coach in New Orleans and St. Louis, he coordinated in Washington from 2010-14 but his roots in running a defense go back to 1996 in New Orleans. He also ran the Pittsburgh defense from 1997-99.

External candidates

Lewis has a vast network, with connections and friendships around the league. He would no doubt tap into those relationships for recommendations.

Teryl Austin

The former Detroit Lions defensive coordinator interviewed for the vacant head coaching job there and he's widely regarded for his unique schematic looks. Austin, 52, worked for Ken Wisenhunt in Arizona, and Wisenhunt was on the Baltimore staff when Lewis coached there. Austin also coordinated for Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer when they were both at Florida in 2010. Austin also has a Baltimore background, coaching there from 2011-13 and winning a Super Bowl as the Ravens' defensive backs coach before moving on to Detroit.

Mike Pettine

A Rex Ryan disciple and former Cleveland Browns head coach, the 51-year-old coordinated four straight top-10 defenses for Ryan's New York Jets and then had a top-10 defense in Buffalo in 2013 before getting the Browns head coaching job in 2014.

Jack Del Rio

The recently deposed Oakland head coach was Lewis’ linebackers coach in Baltimore from 1999-2001 and coordinated defenses in Carolina (2002) and Denver (2012-14) between head coaching jobs. The Panthers finished second in defense that year and the Broncos were No. 2 in the league in 2012. As a head coach and coordinator, he’s had seven top-10 defenses.  

Join now for as low as
99¢ for the 1st month

Mike Nolan

Nolan succeeded Lewis in Baltimore in 2002 but never actually worked for the Bengals head coach (he was the Ravens’ wide receivers coach in 2001) but the 58-year-old has coordinated in New York for both teams, in Washington, Denver, Miami and last in Atlanta from 2012-14. He is currently in the playoffs coaching the linebackers in New Orleans. He’s had six, top-10 defenses for five teams.

Steve Spagnuolo

The current New York Giants defensive coordinator interviewed for the head coaching position there, but it’s possible the 58-year-old hits the market if the Giants go in a different direction. Though he has never worked directly with Lewis, he would come highly recommended from Tom Coughlin, a good friend of the Bengals head coach. He’s had three, top-10 defenses in six years as a coordinator in New York and New Orleans.

Perry Fewell

Following the Coughlin connection, Fewell was once one of the hottest coordinator names in football after coordinating the Super Bowl-winning Giants defense in 2011. Fewell, 55, has worked for Coughlin in Jacksonville and New York, and coordinated in Buffalo as well.

Gus Bradley

After coordinating the Los Angeles Chargers' defense last season, the 51-year-old former Jacksonville Jaguars head coach and Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator and has his own pedigree, he's worked in the same building with some trusted Lewis connections. Bradley worked for Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay where former Bengals OC Jay Gruden was on staff and began his tenure in Seattle under Jim Mora where current Bengals OC Bill Lazor was on staff.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:55 PM, Montana Bengal said:

I am not sure why this quote is here....And I can't get rid of it. 

Here are the Lions Assistant coaches

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches.html

Sheridan and Oden have DC experience

Here is Austin talking about AJ Green: http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/Austin-on-AJ-Green/6dabbf17-878f-4917-9c3d-3e316359b8cf

One negative. Doesn't like Star Wars.

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Here are the Lions Assistant coaches

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches.html

Sheridan and Oden have DC experience

Here is Austin talking about AJ Green: http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/Austin-on-AJ-Green/6dabbf17-878f-4917-9c3d-3e316359b8cf

One negative. Doesn't like Star Wars.

Because you know that my Thesis included a good discussion about Star Wars?

Archived