Coaching Staff Changes

6 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Lets just assume Patricia to the Lions

That leaves McDaniels, Shurmur, Wilks and DeFelipo as the most interviewed group. 

4 top candidates (not including Schwartz) for 3 jobs. 

I wonder if a key to the NFL is having assistants good enough to get interviews but not good enough to land jobs. 

Brad Childress is on staff in KC but Urban might get a look as well. Would be interesting to see him take a job in Baltimore and leave right away. 

Childress is retiring. 

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I'm kind of surprised they are letting Coyle walk. He's one of the Bengals coaches I really like. He's had some great success with a variety of players. I'm not in favour of this move. Having said that, if this is Austin's call, I guess you have to let him build his staff.

My guess is it's more a function of Austin telling Marv he wants a particular guy as opposed to any displeasure with Coyle.  I wouldn't cry if he replace d Haslett and Burney as well.  If he came in with his guys I'd take it as a sign of assuming full responsibility.

9 hours ago, snarkster said:

My guess is it's more a function of Austin telling Marv he wants a particular guy as opposed to any displeasure with Coyle.  I wouldn't cry if he replace d Haslett and Burney as well.  If he came in with his guys I'd take it as a sign of assuming full responsibility.

Teryl Austin's track record with coaching players in the secondary is extensive and he's had some very good success. I have to figure he knows a heck of a lot more about what he needs than I do. I like the hire so I am interested to see what he does moving forward.

10 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Teryl Austin's track record with coaching players in the secondary is extensive and he's had some very good success. I have to figure he knows a heck of a lot more about what he needs than I do. I like the hire so I am interested to see what he does moving forward.

Pretty cool he came here over going to the Raiders! Gruden is there at least 10 years as of now. Austin most likely wants a HC gig and it will probably happen here much earlier than that.

I have stepped back from the ledge a bit.

Bringing Marvin back was devastating. A two year contract is even worse.

But the edge has been dulled because I do like the hire of Austin.  New blood, etc. and

not from within.  Not sure about the new receivers coach but the fact that he coached in

Canada is a good thing, I think, because they are such a passing oriented league.  If he can

get Ross's head out of his ass while he squats on the pity pot for at least a dozen or so plays

a game, I will be... feeling better.  Boyd showed up the last few games and as we all know,

the only person who can cover A.J. Green is Chuck Norris.  And A.J. lost focus towards the 

end, too.

My early impressions of Lazor were positive.  I am so glad that they did not hire him as a temp

and trash him at the end of the season, they are giving him a chance.

I want to see who they get as an O line coach.  McNally is fine as a consultant but too old to do

it full time, I think.  I still would like to see Max Montoya back as a consultant or full time coach

and more than Munoz or Willie.

My current wish list includes...

A coach who can teach Andy Dalton to look at a receiver other than A.J. Green.

Trade McCarron maybe even to Cleveland for the original second and third round choices or even more (second this year and next)

Draft Price or Ragnow (sp).

19 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I'm kind of surprised they are letting Coyle walk. He's one of the Bengals coaches I really like. He's had some great success with a variety of players. I'm not in favour of this move. Having said that, if this is Austin's call, I guess you have to let him build his staff.

If I'm right, it's not so much letting him go, it's that his contract is up, so he can go where he wants.

7 hours ago, snarkster said:

It's taking a while to announce an OL coach.  Not sure McNally is a legit option due to age.  Could they be on hold waiting for a candidate to finish in the playoffs?

I'm hopefuly that its a trickle down. Harold Goodwin is the Cards OC. He might land another OC job or he could be available as an OL/AHC or just OL. Seems like a fit like Austin. 

16 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Not happening imo. He hated coaching in the pros. Described his 4 years in Cleveland under Belichick as the worst 4 years of his life. I don't think he would be successful as a HC in the NFL again and I don't believe he would want to go out with a tarnished image. Not to take anything away from his college coaching ability, but it makes it a hell of a lot easier to win in the coaching ranks when you consistently rank up there in garnering top recruits.

Archived