Coaching Staff Changes

19 hours ago, membengal said:

That's an absolute gem of a hire, replacing the buffoon Alexander with Pollack completely puts some joy back into the Bengals' off-season for me. 

Same, this is good news.  No doubt in my mind that Alexander was being Redeemed & finally shitcanning him was a condition of Marvin staying.

"“I’m not into coaching from a social services standpoint,” Pollack said. “To me, that’s kind of a side benefit to it. I’m in football because I love the game and I want to compete."

This hire is 100% Marvin-driven.  Nobody tell Redeemer he said that.

I must say I'm very impressed with the coaching staff Marvin has put together. I will say I was not excited about him returning for the next two years, but so far I'm extremely pleased with the direction the team has taken with these new coaches. I feel like Marvin is putting together a great group of coaches that have had elite level success throughout their careers.Getting the Cowboys oline coach, Aaron Rodgers former QB coach, Austin for DC, and the other assistants are all great hires in my book. 

15 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I must say I'm very impressed with the coaching staff Marvin has put together. I will say I was not excited about him returning for the next two years, but so far I'm extremely pleased with the direction the team has taken with these new coaches. I feel like Marvin is putting together a great group of coaches that have had elite level success throughout their careers.Getting the Cowboys oline coach, Aaron Rodgers former QB coach, Austin for DC, and the other assistants are all great hires in my book. 

Agree wholeheartedly. This is almost a complete revamp with as experienced group. Whether they were fired or let go (pretty common in this business), it's still an interesting combination. Let's hope this is the recipe for a championship.

I'm intrigued.

15 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

13 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

All of these coaches were fired with the exception of Austin who was sort of fired. 

With that said they all seem pretty great. 

Anyone in that line of work for a long enough time is bound to have been fired at some point.  It only seems remarkable because you follow the Bengals, where an employee could shit on Mike Brown's desk and he'd blame an upset stomach & offer them some Pepto.  

19 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Anyone in that line of work for a long enough time is bound to have been fired at some point.  It only seems remarkable because you follow the Bengals, where an employee could shit on Mike Brown's desk and he'd blame an upset stomach & offer them some Pepto.  

Seems like a legitimate reason.:39:

With the Eagles and Patriots winning and 4 jobs still open this probably tables things for even longer. Patricia, McDaniels and DeFelipo all won and then Shurmur is tomorrow. And add in Wilks and Vrabel.

Finalists seem to be,

Colts-McDaniels and Vrabel

Lions-Patricia and Vrabel

Cardinals-Shurmur and Wilks and even Munchack. 

Giants-McDaniels, Patricia and Shurmur. Wilks is also mentioned

What this means is that at least 1 of these guys will be looking for a job next year when it's possible we might be looking. Vrabel, Wilks and DeFelippo should all be top candidates. 

14 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

With the Eagles and Patriots winning and 4 jobs still open this probably tables things for even longer. Patricia, McDaniels and DeFelipo all won and then Shurmur is tomorrow. And add in Wilks and Vrabel.

Finalists seem to be,

Colts-McDaniels and Vrabel

Lions-Patricia and Vrabel

Cardinals-Shurmur and Wilks and even Munchack. 

Giants-McDaniels, Patricia and Shurmur. Wilks is also mentioned

What this means is that at least 1 of these guys will be looking for a job next year when it's possible we might be looking. Vrabel, Wilks and DeFelippo should all be top candidates. 

Why would we be looking?

Marvin got a 2 year contract. 

He’ll be here unless he doesn’t want to be. And he NEVER wants to leave. 

On 1/12/2018 at 5:28 PM, PatternMaster said:

Holy shit...the management actually look like they are LEGITIMATELY putting an above-average coaching staff together???   Especially with all these hires...

And no joke,  I did not know this was in the works, much less getting them.   Seriously, we got the actual O-Line coach that were responsible for the Cowboys sucess up-front??   So maybe Andy can have a legit line similar to what he had back in 2015 ( I know it's a bit much but a guy can dream can't we??)...

I have felt that Marvin is more of a GM-type than an actual HC.  Sure, he was weaned as a LB coach in PissPuke, got his reputation because he had Ray Lewis and the 2000 Baltimore Ravens,  The Redskins had  pretty solid defense when he was there for that one year in 2002,  and with more success than failure,  the Bengals for the majority of his tenure have been solid to borderline elite at times with defense... Not to mention even though there are misses (Chris Perry, Kenny Irons),  there have been more than enough above-average starters from the draft (AJ, Geno, Carlos,  Mixon, Gio, even Hill [I think he's gonna get traded or released, especially with Mixon out there], and so many others), not to mention solid FA that come here despite being washup by other teams.   And let's not forget that despite all the trouble, he's the guy that stayed with Taze even when the rest of the NFL would rather blackball him out of the league a la Colin Kapernick......Hopefully with this group of coaches,  Marvin can stay to being a GM and let the actual coaches do the work to make them better.   The only way to beat the likes of Pisspuke and the Cheatriots is to out play and outcoach them, and to out discipline them as well (Please no more bullshit  15-yards that occur because of some stupid shit that could have been avoided...

7 hours ago, DanvilleBengal said:

Holy shit...the management actually look like they are LEGITIMATELY putting an above-average coaching staff together???   Especially with all these hires...

And no joke,  I did not know this was in the works, much less getting them.   Seriously, we got the actual O-Line coach that were responsible for the Cowboys sucess up-front??   So maybe Andy can have a legit line similar to what he had back in 2015 ( I know it's a bit much but a guy can dream can't we??)...

I have felt that Marvin is more of a GM-type than an actual HC.  Sure, he was weaned as a LB coach in PissPuke, got his reputation because he had Ray Lewis and the 2000 Baltimore Ravens,  The Redskins had  pretty solid defense when he was there for that one year in 2002,  and with more success than failure,  the Bengals for the majority of his tenure have been solid to borderline elite at times with defense... Not to mention even though there are misses (Chris Perry, Kenny Irons),  there have been more than enough above-average starters from the draft (AJ, Geno, Carlos,  Mixon, Gio, even Hill [I think he's gonna get traded or released, especially with Mixon out there], and so many others), not to mention solid FA that come here despite being washup by other teams.   And let's not forget that despite all the trouble, he's the guy that stayed with Taze even when the rest of the NFL would rather blackball him out of the league a la Colin Kapernick......Hopefully with this group of coaches,  Marvin can stay to being a GM and let the actual coaches do the work to make them better.   The only way to beat the likes of Pisspuke and the Cheatriots is to out play and outcoach them, and to out discipline them as well (Please no more bullshit  15-yards that occur because of some stupid shit that could have been avoided...

Why do people keep saying this?

Frank Pollack became the offensive line coach for the Cowboys in 2015.

There is a legitimate argument to be made that the Cowboys had the best offensive line in the NFL in 2014 (the year before Pollack got here).

Pollack did not draft Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick or Zack Martin.

In fact, all of those guys made pro bowls BEFORE Pollack took over.

He may be better than Alexander, but if you think he’s responsible for building the Cowboys offensive line, you’re just wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Why do people keep saying this?

Frank Pollack became the offensive line coach for the Cowboys in 2015.

There is a legitimate argument to be made that the Cowboys had the best offensive line in the NFL in 2014 (the year before Pollack got here).

Pollack did not draft Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick or Zack Martin.

In fact, all of those guys made pro bowls BEFORE Pollack took over.

He may be better than Alexander, but if you think he’s responsible for building the Cowboys offensive line, you’re just wrong. 

Well in my case, I honestly didn't know...but I think that pretty much success (i.e winning seasons, and playoffs) tends to make people link them with success.   Like you said,  Pollack did not scout Smith, Frederick, or Martin, nor did he draft them (I have to admit but Jerry and Stephen Jones really knocked the ball out of the park with them though).  However, he made the Pro-Bowlers to All-Pros...not to mention Zeke showed up about 4 years later and we all saw how that's turning out.

If there is talent there in the Bengals line--particularly with Cedric and Fisher,  I have pretty good faith that Pollack can figure out how to play them to what they were billed as.  They were drafted in their respective rounds for a reason.  And we know to an extent that the offense more or less goes as the line goes...Andy gets protection and Joe and Gio get holes,  all of a sudden point aren't so much of a premium.  Not to mention the defense can benefit as well.

Yes, it's pretty much simple in my reasoning, but that's just how I see it.

13 minutes ago, DanvilleBengal said:

Well in my case, I honestly didn't know...but I think that pretty much success (i.e winning seasons, and playoffs) tends to make people link them with success.   Like you said,  Pollack did not scout Smith, Frederick, or Martin, nor did he draft them (I have to admit but Jerry and Stephen Jones really knocked the ball out of the park with them though).  However, he made the Pro-Bowlers to All-Pros...not to mention Zeke showed up about 4 years later and we all saw how that's turning out.

If there is talent there in the Bengals line--particularly with Cedric and Fisher,  I have pretty good faith that Pollack can figure out how to play them to what they were billed as.  They were drafted in their respective rounds for a reason.  And we know to an extent that the offense more or less goes as the line goes...Andy gets protection and Joe and Gio get holes,  all of a sudden point aren't so much of a premium.  Not to mention the defense can benefit as well.

Yes, it's pretty much simple in my reasoning, but that's just how I see it.

I think it’s likely that he’s better than PA, I just don’t think there is any evidence that says this is some sort of home run hire like people have said. 

Archived