Coaching Staff Changes

35 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I really wonder with the all new coaching changes how difficult would it have been to replace Marvin too?

Unless one confuses Marvin's sideline clapping and deer in the headlight stare as continuity.

I think if Marvin doesn't stay, Alexander does.  Of the two I'd rather keep Marvin.  

Wilks gets job in Arizona

Funny that 2 things that I predicted or wanted to happen blew up. 

1) I thought we would hire Todd Haley because he was successful in Pitt, a known entity and had a decent time i KC. FIRED Now in Cleveland

2) I wanted Kris Richard, loved what he did in Seattle with DBs and loved his coaching style. FIRED Now in Dallas

8 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Wilks gets job in Arizona

Funny that 2 things that I predicted or wanted to happen blew up. 

1) I thought we would hire Todd Haley because he was successful in Pitt, a known entity and had a decent time i KC. FIRED Now in Cleveland

2) I wanted Kris Richard, loved what he did in Seattle with DBs and loved his coaching style. FIRED Now in Dallas

I wanted Reich for HC. Can't believe he hasn't gotten a gig yet.

I like this, Aaron Rodgers seems really salty over having lost Van Pelt as his qb coach:

@jasonjwilde
26m26 minutes ago

Aaron Rodgers making his disappointment about Alex Van Pelt's departure as quarterbacks coach -- "without consulting me," he says -- very clear on Golic and Wingo.

@jasonjwilde
20m20 minutes ago 

Full quote from Aaron Rodgers on losing Van Pelt: "My quarterback coach didn't get retained. I thought that was an interesting change -- really without consulting me. There's a close connection between quarterback and quarterback coach. And that was an interesting decision."

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

I like this, Aaron Rodgers seems really salty over having lost Van Pelt as his qb coach:

@jasonjwilde
26m26 minutes ago

Aaron Rodgers making his disappointment about Alex Van Pelt's departure as quarterbacks coach -- "without consulting me," he says -- very clear on Golic and Wingo.

@jasonjwilde
20m20 minutes ago 

Full quote from Aaron Rodgers on losing Van Pelt: "My quarterback coach didn't get retained. I thought that was an interesting change -- really without consulting me. There's a close connection between quarterback and quarterback coach. And that was an interesting decision."

Yep, sounds like a ringing endorsement for Van Pelt from him.

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

Yep, sounds like a ringing endorsement for Van Pelt from him.

I love things like this because they are a peek behind the door. As fans we are all pretty ignorant of who are the good coaches and who are just the guys who happen to know somebody. Knowing that Rodgers loved Van Pelt is awesome. Marvin's biggest strength is his ability to recruit good coaches to his staff. I think he got caught up with a group that he didn't love but that he was loyal too. I think that the new DC, QBs coach and OL coach are all upgrades. 

13 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I love things like this because they are a peek behind the door. As fans we are all pretty ignorant of who are the good coaches and who are just the guys who happen to know somebody. Knowing that Rodgers loved Van Pelt is awesome. Marvin's biggest strength is his ability to recruit good coaches to his staff. I think he got caught up with a group that he didn't love but that he was loyal too. I think that the new DC, QBs coach and OL coach are all upgrades. 

Absolutely agree and while I didn't hate Guenther, I like the fact that Austin's defenses tend to be turnover machines. 

15 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think he got caught up with a group that he didn't love but that he was loyal too.

I think Marvin wasn't allowed to fire them.  There's a contract negotiation and suddenly all the "promote from within" gravy train straphangers are shown the door at once? No doubt in my mind that the staff reset was a condition of Marvin coming back.

I would like to say McDaniels would never be offered another job anywhere after what he just did to the Colts but I would bet he gets the Patriots job next and I think people will downplay this later. After how he was perceived in Denver the guy must be tone deaf to his reputation. 

13 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Josh McDaniels now says he isn't going to the Colts. That guy. 

Living here in the hoosier state we always hear more scuttlebutt about the Colts.  There have been a few reports over the last couple of days that some doctors are concerned with Luck's progress and he might need additional surgery.  I always felt that McDaniels going to Indy was contingent on Luck's health and maybe he was not feeling to comfortable.

The McDaniels news is pretty nuts all things considered.  Everything pointed towards him taking the Colts job and people are rightfully pissed off at him for backing out at the last minute.  Three of the assistants he lined up are stuck because they already signed contracts (unlike McDaniels).  The Colts have to start their search over with most of the other new staffs already filled up.  Whoever they hire will start from behind and be forced to accept assistant coaches he didn't hire or want.  Obviously, something happened behind the scenes for him to burn bridges like this.  Rumor has it Kraft (to stick it to the Colts for Deflategate) offered McDaniels a raise with a tacit agreement to replace Belichick possibly as soon as 2019.  There is also the issue of Luck's health which is still a mystery and could have scared off McDaniels.   I would put my money on Frank Reich or Dave Toub being the next Colts head coach. 

On 2/6/2018 at 10:23 PM, MichaelWeston said:

Josh McDaniels now says he isn't going to the Colts. That guy. 

I missed this when it was happening. Did he actually accept the job and renege or was it ESPN or whomever reporting speculation as fact again?

5 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I missed this when it was happening. Did he actually accept the job and renege or was it ESPN or whomever reporting speculation as fact again?

I think there was an agreement made and went so far as the Colts announcing it and scheduling a press conference.  But McDaniel's had not officially signed a contract yet so the Colts are left holding the bag.

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I think there was an agreement made and went so far as the Colts announcing it and scheduling a press conference.  But McDaniel's had not officially signed a contract yet so the Colts are left holding the bag.

Agreement had gone so far that

1. Colts stopped interviewing including Mike Vrabel who they liked I think

2. Colts started hiring the coaches that he was interviewing

3. His agent dropped him for going back on the deal

Archived